Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Climate System

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Manual Climate System

Folks,
I thought I would share a little wisdom/story here as I am sure that others have or had this same problem. My 2004 XType only had Air Flow (both cold and hot) through the defroster vents at the top. Well I took car to Shop and they hooked up thier little sensors and told me the controls on the Climate Panel above the Radio was working fine and the Stepper Motor was reporting movement. So, therefore I had a broken baffle door in the Air Box. This would cost $1200 (Labor) to replace IF Jag made the parts which they don;t.

I saw a Post on here (Jim, you may won't to link these and put in the FAQ section) regarding this problem. The problem is now fixed and costs $1.00. I plan to update this post with pictures shortly

Actions:
1) I removed the Glovebox to see inside the dash. There are (3) screws under the Glovebox, (2) screws in the back (inside) and (2) screws at the top inside.

2) Pull the glove box out exposing the recirculation canister and the actuator motors on the blend system.

3) The (3) actuators on the side of the Blend box control the doors. THE SERVICE PEOPLE TELL YOU the Doors are broken. Well personally I can't see those doors breaking - the typical culprit is the Gear on the actuator or the gear on the door panel, one of them moved/stripped.

In my case I simply removed the actuator...(3) screws hold it in place and pulled of the gear. I was able then to manually move the door flap and I GOT air in the front vents...door not broken. However, when I watched the rotation of the gear on the door shaft and the gear on the actuator the movement was not right. THE Gear had moved/slip on the shaft.

4) With the actuator gear removed from the actuator motor (remember it just pulls off) align it with the gear on the blend door in the proper position. THis will tell you the position the gear goes on the actuator shaft. Apply a small amount of crazy glue to the shaft and press the gear on in that position. You will see a small slot on the shaft where you can apply the glue. NOT too much.

Replace everything and your HVAC should work fine.

If the door sticks this gear will move / the door does not break. But all sevice people will tell you the door breaks.

Goodluck

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Wallman (01-15-2021)
Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,very interesting post....any pics please?