Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I change rear break pads? -help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Can I change rear break pads? -help needed

On my 2005 Automatic. I have a rattling rear passenger side break pad that is missing a clip. I bought some ceramic pads and some "glue" but I am not sure I can take this on. I know I need a tool to press the piston back, but I guess what worries me the most is the driver ebreak side. Not sure if I should take it in to get done or do myself

Old 07-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 07-29-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I saw that video. Looks straightforward. What has me worried is the other side. With the Parking break cable.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Bought a set of ceramic pads at autozone,for 40 because I could not find the hardware kit.

Ended up going to my mechanic who told me the existing pads are Bosch and are nearly new. We just took a clip out used some pad glue and the rattle is gone. Mechanic charged me 20 bucks. If I would have known my pads where nearly new I would have tried to just get clips online. My rattle episode is over

Old 07-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Spike, doing the pads is easy on the X-Type. The big things that you need to keep in mind is knowing which way to turn the piston (turn it a direction as you are pressing in and if it goes in, you are going the right way, if it starts coming out, go the other way) and knowing to crack the bleeder valve on the caliper to allow the extra fluid to have a path to make pushing things back in easier.

I see you are worried about the e-brake lever/cable on the passenger side, well, there is one on the driver's side too. Nothing to be afraid of. Release the e-brake and then you can push the lever forward a little bit and pull the cable off. Super easy.

If you ever need to know more, let me know. The X-Type is one of the easier cars to do the rear pads on.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
Spike, doing the pads is easy on the X-Type. The big things that you need to keep in mind is knowing which way to turn the piston (turn it a direction as you are pressing in and if it goes in, you are going the right way, if it starts coming out, go the other way) and knowing to crack the bleeder valve on the caliper to allow the extra fluid to have a path to make pushing things back in easier.

I see you are worried about the e-brake lever/cable on the passenger side, well, there is one on the driver's side too. Nothing to be afraid of. Release the e-brake and then you can push the lever forward a little bit and pull the cable off. Super easy.

If you ever need to know more, let me know. The X-Type is one of the easier cars to do the rear pads on.
Thanks!
I had every intention of doing it myself. Would have been interisting, but can't beat getting it solved for 20 bucks! Specially when it's 103 degrees outside.

I will take you up on your offer when it's time to replace them though. Thanks!!

Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Spike, come on up to Maryland and we can sit in my driveway and do the brakes. That way you can have the "expert" there to step you through it. LMAO. I have all the tools should we decide to rebuild the caliper.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
Spike, come on up to Maryland and we can sit in my driveway and do the brakes. That way you can have the "expert" there to step you through it. LMAO. I have all the tools should we decide to rebuild the caliper.
Thanks for that. That is a long drive from Texas!

Old 07-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Spike, some times to get the best of something, you need to do a little work to get it. he he he he he.