X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Fogging after dealer fix- please provide assistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car Fogging after dealer fix- please provide assistance

I have a 2002 jaguar x-type with 120,000 miles. Last year the car started to collect LOTS of condensation and fog on the windows. I took it to the dealer, and they said the air blend door needed to have super glue or epoxy. I live in Ohio and recently with cold weather the car un-fogs fine and then while I am driving it in the AM, it fogs up again. It doesn’t do this in the afternoon as much, but does it in the morning and sometimes evenings. I am taking it back to the dealer and they said they would re-do the work since it may not have taken the first time. They did warn me if everything is still glued in place the repair could be 2K or more. My recirculation button will not work at all when I press it. It won’t click and the light won’t turn on (which is a new issue) so my question is, what may cause the button to not work, and does it seem like a big fix? The glue may not have taken during the original fix, but it cannot be fixed, can I have them manually jam the door open so that it brings in fresh air, but how will that affect the AC in the summer? I simply refuse to put another 2K into a car that’s turning 9 this year. I just had the 120K service check, and all the regular maintenance done by the dealer, so I am assuming that the pollen filter has been changed by the dealer. Thanks for the help!!
My settings (recommended by dealer)

A/C defrost front and rear on and 66-68 degrees F

Old 11-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the system in "defrost", the recirc button will not work at all, as you describe....this is by design. If the glue broke, then it will not likely hold the second time. You need a heater box, and that's where the $2K is coming in. If they position the flap to be in the "fresh air" position, your AC will not work effectively and will seem weak in the hot, humid weather.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks, I went outside and turned it to another setting other than defrost and the buttons light came on and it beeped, but there was no change in airspeed or noise. I read in previous posts that the fan should make a somewhat different noise and the speed/sound stayed consistent. I am guessing the door is jammed shut again. My dealer said that have NEVER seen a case where the heater box needs to be replaced. He said they have always been able to fix it with glue, so I am hopeful. When you state the AC will seem weak, what do you mean. Do you mean the airspeed or will it be hot air blowing out, and if so how hot??? Would it be possible for me to have them jam it open for the winter and then in the summertime close it back up. I would rather pay for the equivelant of 2 hours of work yearly then 2K for a car with 121,000 on it. Thanks! I appreciate all the help!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to help...It will not cool as efficiently in the hot, humid months because it will not be able to recirculate the cabin air (which is already cooled/dehumidified). It should not blow "warm" air though. I have replaced a few boxes that have had recurrent issues. I have re-glued a handful after the initial repair....some hold, some do not. It is a crappy design, IMO. You could have them change the position of the flap, but then you run into the issue of possibly having your defrost not working properly. If there is moisture INSIDE the car (rain and damp carpets), it will not defog nearly as well.

Up to you, but I would have them set the door in the fresh air position and leave it there, if you do not want to shell out $$$ for the box. Last I heard, you could not get a box any longer anyway, FWIW.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 7,872 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Here is the Jaguar fix but sometimes it works, somtimes it doesn't!!!!!

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT412-02 Air Blend Door Loose.pdf (181.2 KB, 306 views)
Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Newbie2011, I did the above fix myself changing the position of the door to be open to the outside and using gorilla glue on the shaft. The only real difficulty is with a few of the screws that you need to undo blindly. I used an allen key that fit. Completely cured the defrost problem and only slightly changed the efficiency of the a/c in the summer. Of course I don't have that many days where the a/c needs to work overtime and I never did find the X-Type a/c to be ice cold.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses. I am a college student, and while I have all the money need for repairs etc, I simply don't want to invest that much money into something I don't see as totally necessary. If the glue fails again, I will probably tell my dealer to move the door so that it's in the fresh air position ( and keep it that way). If anyone has any more suggestion please let me know. I appreciate all responses! Thanks!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Jaguar has made the X-Type Climate case unavailable for now. Their engineering is working on making component parts available so a Recirc Door repair can be made without replacing the entire case. I pressed the technical boys about a month ago as to when they might be available to order. [we have two cars waiting for SOMETHING to fix them with] The answer they got was "No ETA, when Engineering approves and releases the part numbers, they will be available"; until then, no parts can be had. Not much help, but there you have it.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The technical bulletin repair is perfect for the recirculating/air door, I recommend GEL super glue to secure the acctuator arm. But after i did this the air door operates fine but I still do not get hardly any air out of the defrost when I switch to defrost. all other vents will put out good volume of air. Any ideas?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine used to fog up really bad when the weather started getting colder. I searched the forum and found an easy fix. Just prop open your blend door behind the cabin filter with a pencil or something that keeps it cracked open a little. make sure you attach it with something so it doesn't get sucked in the blower. When the weather starts getting warm again I shut the door so I can get max cold from my AC.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

if you pull the door down closed or push it up and open, it will stay. In Houston we close them since we dont have much of a winter, ac on with heat in defrost keeps the window clear. This is why you always have the ac on unless you put temp to full heat, then it shuts off the ac compressor and will fog the window

Old 06-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air blend actuator

I followed someone's instructions on finding the shaft that needs gluing but did not find that anything that could be glued. I did remove part HEATER FLAP CONTROL MOTOR ACTUATOR 1S7H-19E616-AA it appears to not be working correctly, when I push the recirc button this part just clicks. Is this the correct part for the air blend door?