X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is in for mot handbrake Help needed please!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Car is in for mot handbrake Help needed please!

PLEASE!!!
Hi guys yep my 2002 2.5 litre X Type Automatic petrol is in need of tlc, bigtime.
The car is in garage and the mechanic says the spring is holding onto the calipers when the handbrake is released.
Trouble is that I have looked at handbrake woes and do not have an understanding of any diagrams I've seen.
I know the handbrakes on the 2002 X Type were recalled but... mine obviously wasn't.
I have trawled ebay and other sites and am still unsure what to get.
Can anyone advise please?
He has called jaguar and they are sending him a new handbrake handle with the cable and so called spring, is it worth him, fitting this or should I go Ford Mondeo and get something cheaper THAT WILL FIT.
Also can I buy a newer release handbrake for the X Type as I think that will iron out the problem, but will it fit and will I therefore need the pads and calipers replaced as well.
Wallet near empty too!
Anyone got a balclava I can borrow without dna on it!
Ha ha best regards, Stu (prayers and begging are an option at the moment!!)

Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I had a distantly similar issue. In the last MOT about a year ago, the guy said that the handbrake cable felt a bit loose, and that while not a big issue, I decided to have it looked at. As you may know, the handbrake is self-adjusting. I also had a very occasional weird silent wailing noise, a bit like if you blow on the mouth of a bottle, turned out to be a very slightly sticking rear caliper.

The cause turned out to be some bit in the caliper related to the handbrake (I'm no expert), which was not properly aligned. This prevented it from releasing fully, which both caused the slight rubbing against the disc as well as prevented the self-adjustment from working properly. Once that was aligned (no parts needed to be changed), issue was fixed. I hope this gives at least some alternative idea what to look at...

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Aonsaithya,
I might wait until the garage gets the parts and hope for the best, I am kicking myself at the moment because I've not had the time and money to look things in detail.
I am becoming what I hate as I am letting circumstances take control and so many things are butting in at the moment, plus it would help if I had a job!
If someone could recommend a replacement that would be good to go, I think that would be an end to it, but thanks again, I have read other posts and your input is always respected, but many other posts are vague and great for mechanics but not me.
Hmph!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

BUMP........Any other advice for a member in need?

Please chime in with any other litle gems you may have guys....it all helps

Thanks

Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
............... He has called jaguar and they are sending him a new handbrake handle with the cable and so called spring, is it worth him, fitting this or should I go Ford Mondeo and get something cheaper THAT WILL FIT..........
Stu,

Seizing handbrake mechanisms are not uncommon across the Jaguar model range.

His solution appears to be replacing the handle whereas the 'usual' problem area is sticking at the caliper end.

Do you have breathing space on the MoT expiry date to investigate this yourself before digging into the wallet?

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
JimC64 (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

The car is in garage now and Gary (the mechanic) is waiting on the replacement parts, he's quite a way away about 9 miles away and it's rural, have to walk miles for bus which I did yesterday (ouch blisters!) Jaguar have sent him the handle and fittings including new cable and as I can't see it myself, it's a head scratcher. I do know the problems for mot were:
Welding needed on sills
A new cv joint or an abs sensor (the light was ON!) OR:
A rear brake caliper
But on closer inspection it will be:
The mentioned weld
cv joint
Plus the handbrake (Gary has stated the spring is a problem as well!) Plus the rear caliper is not required if the cable and handle plus fittings are good to go! Gary has also said that the automatic tensioner in the handle is over adjusting all the time leaving the calipers stuck on, after release.
I hope you understand and thank you, I really appreciate the help.
I just spoke to Gary and for around £100, he will fit the handbrake, handle, the cable and all the fitments as you would to a post 2004 model which should eliminate the issues which are on the 2002 model (mine). Graham, I can't drive the car as after today the mot is OUT! Due to family business, I left it late!
And I do trust Gary, he's good! Thank you Jim as well!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Stuart, on the X-Types, having a handle/cable issue is rare. Most of the time it is the e-brake lever on the calipers that is hanging up, leading to what feels like a stuck cable/bad handle. he can prove this by simply disconnecting the cable and seeing that the e-brake lever will not return on its own, but can be easily returned using a flat bladed screw driver to pry it back into place. I have been down this block a few times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
JimC64 (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Bump.....Thanks Graham / Thermo

Hope it helps a little Stu and waiting to hear......hope its fixed for much cheapness

Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Just my luck, chaps!
BT went down and has just come back on so I lost my phone, broadband and wireless connection so I couldn't really dp anything.
I've had BT problems since last year and they actually say they can't do anything, yeah the joys of living rural!
The update is that the handbrake to be fitted 1st thing tomorrow should be better all round, not actually THAT expensive and I'm now happy to get it done, the newer type I think will require less fixes than the earlier one, the thing is as well, I haven't been able to suss out the screwdriver fix! Thank you all for helping and I'm certainly not disagreeing with either of you.
Chris, Jim, Graham and Aonsaithya ,I thank you all and am cheesed off with myself not keeping up to scratch on things.
The bootom line is we, my Lady and I have been through a bit of an upheaval the last few months and gee, it doesn't get easier when you stop to breathe.
I am thankful to you guys and feel such a let-down and I obviously have no hard feelings with that telephone company... NOT!
Seriously, I will find out tomorrow what jaguar have supplied and take it from there, it COULD be the wrong item, but, my car is now illegal so I shall bite the bullet and go for it if the fitting is right and I have good brakes!
I am actually dying to get work so that I can get the money to get ramps and see what condition my car is really in, shocker! I think!
I shall update tomorrow and Thank you Jim for the bump, I think I need a bump in the right direction too!
Regards, and a Big Thank You !!! Stu

Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Update,
I have told Gary at the garage, what you have said "Thermo", he will hopefully try that tomorrow, re the prying back with the flathead screwdriver, something I should have done!!
Thank you, and I am learning, just need a full wallet and time to chase the rainbow!
All the Best, Stu

Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hmp, Gary has said with the cable disconnected, the lever returns so that isn't the issue, think I will await the NEW HANDBRAKE, roll on tomorrow and the next thrilling instalment:
Cheers, Stu

Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Stu, there is always a first. I know many a member here has had issues with their brake calipers. I am normally spot on, but you can't be spot on all the time. Besides, he was going to need to undo the calipers from the brake cable anyways, so, no real time lost in the check. Get the kitty back to 100% and go from there.

As for letting us down, don't be so hard on yourself. We all get busy and some times life has to be more important that people on the internet. So, keep the chin up, enjoy some quiet time when you can, and go from there.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
JimC64 (07-24-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 AM
GGG

+1 for me betting on it being the caliper.

Is the welding and CV joint already done leaving the handbrake the only job now to get an MoT pass?

Graham

Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I believe so, Graham and thanks again Thermo, I admire your Esprit de Corps!
Hmm, Graham, a new caliper was fitted and removed, but I am unknowing until Gary gets back to me, I will keep you posted, Thanks again!
Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 07-24-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: SPELLING BAH :)
Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 AM
GGG

Stu,

Try to avoid having any 'advisories' recorded on the Certificate. Now that anyone can get the full MoT history for a vehicle from

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

it's better to have a clean record when it comes to selling.

Graham

Stuart Beattie (07-26-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

What tsk tsk tsk!
Graham ..... sell my J A G U A R !!!
Yes, thanks Graham, she should be good shortly, Gary is gonna try to get the mot later today, but again I'll keep you posted. Oh and guess what? Some low life stole one of my wheel centre caps last week when I was out in Perth!!! Doh!
I appreciate the advisory note advice as well, on the mot.
Note for Thermo Too!! Hey, you guys aren't people on the internet,You are invaluable to many like me who need sound advice on SOUND CARS!
Thank you, thanks to you and your worthy input the WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE!!!
Especially in a JAGUAR!! ATB, (ALL THE BEST) Stu

Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
What tsk tsk tsk!
Graham ..... sell my J A G U A R !!!..............
I was thinking about updating, not getting some lesser marque!

Graham

Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this problem myself with year old calipers there is a thread on here I think on how to fix this by doing some work to the caliper because of the way they retain water some how and cause rusting on the cable at caliper

The following 2 users liked this post by gragner66:
JimC64 (07-24-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Gragner66,
Thank you for the advice, I've had the new cable, fittings and handle fitted now and the car is at the garage for mot tomorrow.
I will have to look into this and as I've not seen my car since Monday morning, I'll find out what exactly has been fitted and get back to you.
Thanks again, I will also have a good look for that post you mentioned!
Cheers, Stu

Old 07-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Stu...
Here's the link for DIY repairs to your rear Calipers

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fix-1-a-73065/

HTHs
Gary

Stuart Beattie (07-25-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car is in for mot handbrake Help needed please!