X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed speakers & car won't start...need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Changed speakers & car won't start...need help

So friday night I started this speaker replacement project, because my front driver & rear passenger speakers were busted. Took out the door panel & replaced the speakers just fine. Did not install the panels because need to buy clips & bushing and of course dealership service is closed on weekends.
Saturday afternoon listening to the new speakers at volume 18 to 26...all of a sudden the radio blank & turned on twice...so I took out the keys & try to start the car & won't start. There is power & everything look at the fuse box in the engine compartment & everything looks fine.
Any ideas...I can try sunday morning & afternoon before calling the mechanic to figure it out on monday. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems a little weird for a speaker wiring issue to effect the starting procedure, but I'd be pulling those speakers and checking for wires that might have made contact with the body. Wrap any suspects with electrical tape at the speaker terminal.

I'm trying to remember what is wired through the driver's side door panel, and can't come up with anything that might trip up some antitheft function if it weren't reconnected. Still, I'd get that door panel - all of them, actually - back on and then try again.

I'm most strongly suspecting that a wiring problem managed to fry something through the radio, but it still seems unlikely that such a problem could reach through the fuses for the stereo to get to the engine control computer or any other critical electronics.

Was there any loud pop or tick from the speakers when the stereo acted up as you described?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM

No loud pop or weird noise. Just the stereo turned off & then a second later went back on, for a few times. Then I took off the keys. And then tried to start the car (first instinct) and then nothing.
Tried a few times then the security failure appeared.

So from that point, checked the wiring & they are all ok. Closed the door panel & tried some more. Nothing.

I disconnect the battery...which after researching & reading from the forum is a no no. So my bad (again acting on first instinct). This time I think I triggered something because now the power are all draining & wouldn't even click on start.

O well...I guess the car will be going to service at the dealer to restart the computer or what else need to be done. Pretty much over my head, not a car guru but just thought replacing a couple of speakers is just like replacing a hard drive in my computer.

Thanks for the response.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Battery down from futzing with the speaks?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by PreJag
Battery down from futzing with the speaks?
Just looking at his reply, I was going to say the same thing.

Rocky - break out those jumper cables and try again. It can't hurt to rule it out, and you're going to feel awful dumb if you haul the car off to a mechanic and that's what it turns out to be.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM

How about disconnecting the battery, incase you need to reset a breaker. A breaker you would not be able to see, you would have to use a meter to check all of them.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Yes, it is the battery. But I also have check engine light with gear fault and security failure. So the wifey said just have the pro check it out...so it ended up in the jaguar service center (lame excuse, I know).

The verdict is: battery is "terminal" (dying), it just happen I enjoyed the music so much & left the door with the center light open overnight.
The nice thing is that the car went through the computer & found a few things to be adjusted. 1.brake park adjusted 2.reset the computer 3.empty gas tank warning light not working (now working) & 4. most importantly my car don't have a security code through the radio or the panic red button for the breaker (interesting & not sure if this is correct but I will be bugging them about it).

Thanks everyone. The iron cat is back in her cage.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I hade the same thing with my Vadnen Plas but with stock speakers and all i need to do is charge the Battery and everything worked fine after that.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Hmmm... I recall that when I installed my ACM, I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected it and started the car up, the check engine light was on. It cleared itself after a driving cycle (or three). Apparently, your drained battery tripped the same computer code. Whether or not you really needed a battery, or merely a good charge and some driving time, you may never know.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rothe
Hmmm... I recall that when I installed my ACM, I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected it and started the car up, the check engine light was on. It cleared itself after a driving cycle (or three). Apparently, your drained battery tripped the same computer code. Whether or not you really needed a battery, or merely a good charge and some driving time, you may never know.

Dead battery with failed attempts to start the car will result in your Check Engine Light and the faults you describe. Ask me how I know...

P.S. Air compressors kill batteries with the quickness...