X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light info needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default check engine light info needed

First of all, Im a 10 year Ford service advisor vet...I know a lot about Fords and how or what it may take to repair most of them usually by description of symptoms....and I am a Ford owner (Lincolns,Fords) I'm a new Jag owner tho.....and bought an 2002 XType for my wife...I love the car as does she....it has 99,000 miles and its the 3.0 Sport version. haven't had too many issues with it so far(except for wheel need in another thread, and an oil pan leak and oil pressure sensor replaced)...and have extended warranty still in effect... The check engine light has come on along with a message displayed CRUISE CONTROL NOT AVAILABLE , I work at a Ford shop and have access to a wealth of Ford knowledge, but since we are NOT Jag authorized we dont have the Jag software for our IDS. ....soooooooo I had a tech scan it with a generic scanner, got lean bank 2 codes....we found the check valve cracked so we repaired it and cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the fuel filter. drove awesome then about a week later the messages came back on......it comes on when going between 60-70 mph and if I put the vehicle under load it will buck and jerk like a bad coil is missing, if I come to a stop the engine icon will stay on but I can resume cruise control, and vehicle will not miss.....My tech says the engine is the Lincoln LS 3.0....since some parts are not covered by my extended warranty I wanna fix it in my shop....so heres my question....ideas on what the fault could be??....and are the Lincoln/Ford parts innerchangable??(can I use the Ford parts on the Jag??)....Im leaning towards bad o2 sensors or MAF.....tech doesnt think it could be those, maybe fuel related or coil??....any help appreciated...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

sunshine, so many of us have found lean codes to be related to one of the three common vacuum leaks. IMT o-rings, PCV hose or brake boost hose. Search the X-type section for those and see if you have the updated parts installed already.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the same problem in the begining of December. It was the IMT o-rings. Open the top one and look inside at the IMT o-ring and see what color it is, if there yellow replace them, if there green they are the up dated ones. My guess I would say they are yellow. I also found that there was a little corrson around the bolt holes on the top one, when I opened it to see what color o-ring I had. The top one is easy to get out the bottom one you have to pull the o-ring over the outside of the unit, or pull the intake. I choose to pull the intake and replace the rear plugs and put new intake gasket o-rings in, while I was at it I cleaned everything up with a dry rag. The parts that had some stuck on stains I used a little WD-40 and it cleaned up nice. You have to be carefull I was told or I found a thread that said inside the TB was coated with a clear coat, so you don't want to miss it up. There's a real good thread here that will show pictures of all the parts I was talking about, it's called something about doing a tune up, it's a really good thread. I'll seee if I can find it and re-edit this reply. I found the thread on the 2nd page and it's called " HOW-TO, TUNE UP/SPARK PLUG CHANGE FAQ". It a really good thread and with the pictures and information you can't go wrong.

Last edited by vai1953; 01-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

There is an older thread by Dennisblack outlining mods and maintenance he did, it's about 5 pages long depending on what you display but he has pictures of the most common places for the vacuum leaks, which guaranteed is what you have. Do an advanced search by username in this forum with threads started by dennisblack and you'll find it. Simple fix, do it yourself and you're into it for 10-50.00

Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Thanks guys...tons of help....its appreciated. What is an imt....maybe ford calls it something else...thanks again

Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

IMT, intake manifold tuning.
there are two electric motors on the left side of the intake manifold, when you are standing looking from the front of the car.
They each operate a flap in the manifold to change the length of the airways.
THey each have 2 screws holding them on, and an o-ring behind them.

take a good look at the PCV hose while you are in there.... if it is smooth, not ribbed, then change it too.. if it is not already cracked it will do so very soon.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM

weird thing....I was using non premium gas.....and a tech told me to start using premium like im supposed to....within 3 tanks the check engine light is now out...but I am going to change the imt gaskets anyway...just as a precaution

Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacksunshine1972
weird thing....I was using non premium gas.....and a tech told me to start using premium like im supposed to....within 3 tanks the check engine light is now out...but I am going to change the imt gaskets anyway...just as a precaution
I hear our cars don't like ethenol mixed gas.