X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light and part identification

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Check engine light and part identification

The check engine light came on today on my way home from work. I stopped off at autozone to have them pull the code. They tried it a couple times and their little device just came back with an error. So I'm not sure what the error code is. That being said I have done a little searching trying to determine what some of the normal CEL causes are on this car. I have seen a couple items related to PVC hoses and such. I took a look at all the hoses running to and from the throttle body and noticed something interesting that if it isn't causing the CEL is probably something else that needs to be addressed and I need help identifying it. The thing is in-between the vac line that runs from the top of the throttle body to I believe is the brake booster. It started to disintegrate when i touched it so I spun it over in the line to notice it was cracked and falling apart. Attached should be 2 photos of the item in question.

Any help identifying the part and also suggestions on things to check for the CEL are greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light and part identification-img00051-20100527-1916-medium-.jpg   Check engine light and part identification-img00052-20100527-1916-medium-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jwest1883 (10-26-2015)
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

DZTT, odds are, that is your smoking gun. That is a common failure item of our cars. Fortunately, that is also a cheap part to replace. Unfortunately, you can only get it through the dealership or possibly through Ken@britishparts.com. That is the brake booster vacuum line/check valve (the check valve is the bulge in the center of the line). Atleast for the moment, I would try putting some duct tape over the check valve to try and seal up the leak for the moment. That should get you through until the new part arrives. I would also remove the engine cover and check the vacuum line running from the air box to the intake. If the brake booster line is failing on you, it is possible that one is not far behind and if you are placing an order, might as well knock out 2 birds with one stone. But, inspect it first. If you have an upgraded hose, it will have a bunch of ridges on it. If you have a smooth hose, then you have the old style that is prone to splitting on the underneath side, leading to vacuum leaks/check engine lights.

Jwest1883 (10-26-2015)
Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 PM

That has got to be the issue. Just checked with the car running and I can hear the air leak from the valve. I also have the smooth type hose going from the air box. Guess i'll replace them both while I'm at it. Hopefully that fixes it. Once the hoses are replaced is there an easy way to clear the codes?

Anyone by chance know part numbers so I can look the parts up online?

Last edited by DZtt; 05-27-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

May as well do all three if you are ordering parts. IMT o-rings. Pull off the the top one and if you've also got a yellow o-ring in there it's going to leak soon. Dealer or Ken or Nalley on the site here will know all three parts very well.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and picked up/ordered all the suggested parts at the dealer this morning just so I can do everything all at once. Hopefully this gets me all setup. Total cost with tax for everything was $114.

For future reference the part numbers are below:
C2S17552 - BRAKE BOOSTER VACUUM HOSE WITH CHECK VALVE
C2S40669 - INTAKE VALVE O-RING (2 required, new ones are green)
C2S40863 - BREATHER HOSE TO INTAKE MANIFOLD (newer style should be ribbed instead of smooth)

Doogie (01-07-2013)
Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The ribbed breather hose at my dealer was $11. It actually goes from an elbow out of the top of the valve cover to the manifold. Easy fix and well worth it to do preventive maintenance. I was kicking myself for not changing mine before it failed. Make sure you clean up any oil laying about in the openings too.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

DZTT, if you can get your hands on the code reader, they all have a feature to erase the codes. Then, if the light comes back on, you know it is a new problem or a problem that you have not resolved yet. If you can't get to a code reader, then simply remove the negative battery cable, wait about 30 seconds and then reattach. If you disconnect the battery, you may need to re-input the code for the radio and then reprogram the windows for the auto up feature (roll down a window all the way, holding the button down, keeping the button down for 4 seconds after the window is all the way down, then pull and hold the same button up until the window is full up and continue to hold it up for another 4 seconds, 1 window is reprogrammed, repeat for the other windows).

Old 05-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

DZTT, a word of caution. When removing the brake boost hose from the intake, push down on the little collar while pulling up on the hose! Hope I'm not too late...

Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM

That part doesn't come in until early next week. So thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Update: Ultra easy to fix all three of these items. It took about 20 min total for everything. Check engine light is now gone. Thanks mohrd for the heads up on removing the hose going to the intake.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

flipcircuit, your best bet would be to either get a piece of rubber hose and use that to act as a spacer and allow you to install the vacuum line back in the hole. The other option is to get your hands on some black electrical tape and use that to wrap around the end of the hose to build it up. Then you can force the tube into the intake and hopefully that will provide a good enough seal to get you buy until you can get the new assembly.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flipcircuit
I realize this post is very old, but thanks to Google, here we are. My question would be, what do I do in the event that I broke the little collar off while attempting to remove the hose from the top of the intake? As it sits right now it appears that there would be no real vacuum without it. Is there a part number in I can use to replace it, or am I just hosed? Pardon the pun...
Sorry I haven't come a cross that one yet. Maybe a tech will add to Thermo's comments. Wanna bet the dealer parts counter will say those collars only come as part of the intake assembly? I hope not.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by DZTT
The check engine light came on today on my way home from work. I stopped off at autozone to have them pull the code. They tried it a couple times and their little device just came back with an error. So I'm not sure what the error code is. That being said I have done a little searching trying to determine what some of the normal CEL causes are on this car. I have seen a couple items related to PVC hoses and such. I took a look at all the hoses running to and from the throttle body and noticed something interesting that if it isn't causing the CEL is probably something else that needs to be addressed and I need help identifying it. The thing is in-between the vac line that runs from the top of the throttle body to I believe is the brake booster. It started to disintegrate when i touched it so I spun it over in the line to notice it was cracked and falling apart. Attached should be 2 photos of the item in question.

Any help identifying the part and also suggestions on things to check for the CEL are greatly appreciated.
I also have a 2004 Juguar X-Type. The check engine light came on, we opened the hood to look for the source of the radiator fluid leak, in the process we heard a hissing sound from the check valve in line with the break booster vacuum line. The mentioned valve was rotated and we saw a sort of tiny hole, we went to auto zone and advance auto parts and Napa they did not have the appropriate check valve, so we used epoxy to seal the hole, and also fully coated the valve. We waited for the coat to harden (about 5 minutes) then turned the car on. The check engine light went off. Also we checked for any code, but there was no code. Hope this helps! Goodluck!!!

Lcgi (08-05-2012)
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not normally one to bump old threads, but this one is exactly what I needed. Thanks! I'd been experiencing intermittently difficult braking--having to push really hard to get action--that was progressively getting more frequent. I'd been thinking about the different things it could be and had checked on a few of them. Like a dummy, multiple times I had only looked under the hood with everything turned off. When I randomly had the hood open for a different reason with it on I observed a very distinct, loud hissing noise. Trying to locate it, I touched the brake booster vacuum hose and chunk of the check valve crumbled and just fell off. Now, in my wife's car, I'm headed to Hennessey, my dealer, here in Atlanta. I'll go ahead and replace all three of those parts just for good measure. Thanks for the thread!

Old 10-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Jwest: A relatively common problem as our X-Types age, unfortunately. Here's a similar thread from just last week: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-tubes-151959/

Jwest1883 (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dwclapp, thanks for that! excellent links.
So, I just got back from my dealer and was shocked that the part cost $125.58 (before tax) considering the much lower prices other posters had mentioned. I went ahead and purchased it and figured I'd just return it if I didn't find a better price, elsewhere. Can you think of any (good) reasons why I should keep the $125 item part from the dealer instead of purchasing one, elsewhere, like you mentioned in the link you sent me?
Originally Posted by dwclapp
... If the temporary patch works, the permanent fix is to install a new check valve and vacuum hose, which sells for ~$30 if you shop around, like the one: New Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Check Valve Tube for Jaguar x Type C2S17552 Q33002 | eBay...

Old 10-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Jwest: If you can return the dealer part, I'd patch the old check valve w/ RTV silicone & aluminum foil for the next 1-2 weeks (some have even used duct tape!), buy the eBay part, and take my wife out to a nice restaurant w/ the savings. Some things you should buy only for the dealer, but this isn't one of them, imho.

Jwest1883 (10-26-2015)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here we go again

(DZTT, a word of caution. When removing the brake boost hose from the intake, push down on the little collar while pulling up on the hose! Hope I'm not too late...)
yes it is too late for me , my check valve broke so I used some superglue and lots of duct tape and it worked great.
My problem is i got a second hand check valve and the hose's but no good red clip as it broke coming out of the scrap car when the guy got it for me , tried removing the one in my own x type but I broke the collar and now the hose is stuck with 4 little plastic bits around it wedging it in place.

My problem is that I can't find these little red things anywhere. It is 9mm , im not even sure what to call it , everywhere i look people call it a different name like
Collar, bushing , push in fitting, red clip , one way clip and so on.
If anyone knows the proper name for it or even better knows where I can buy them id be truly greatful , especially because ive a 1000+ mile road trip in a few weeks time
hopefully I don't have to buy another brake booster kit

Thanks in advance

Old 08-09-2018, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Maybe?

Quick Reply: Check engine light and part identification