X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette lighter socket - a story of fitting, and warnings :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter socket - a story of fitting, and warnings :-)

Hi All,

Just a short story for you.. :-)

My car came with a Kenwood 6CD changer retro fitted with the control module fitted where the ashtray and cigarette lighter would normally be.

So I purchased two sockets ( both have 2 x lighter sockets + 2 x USB sockets) and decided to cable them in. I removed the assy that used to be the ashtray/lighter and the manual gearstick cover, located the original cigarette lighter power and tapped into it.. with one socket mounted in the driver footwell just below the dashboard and the other mounted on the driver side back of the centre console so the kids will have power in the back if needed.

These sockets use power whenever connected to give the USB charging facility.. I thought nothing of it at the time as my XJ cut the power to the cigarette lighter when ignition was off. So I cabled them in checked they worked (replaced the 15a fuse I popped once in the process and concluded all OK.. except my beloved car would not start.. That was when I realised the cigarette lighter power is always on.. so I cabled in a discrete switch on the side of the console.. and then all OK.

Then when I took the family out for a run, after a few miles found I could not get the gearstick into the gates.. wierd.. and found my cable run had moved and entered the gear linkage area.

I routed the cable more under the ashtray assy and taped it to the inner side of the console and all now OK.

Now, I am not that good with mechanics etc but I managed it all OK, which means anyone else out there wanting sockets you *can* do it, and by all means drop me a line if you want advice or help, but also I can now advise anyone to watch out for the gear linkage, and be warned about the power being constantly on to the cigarette lighter - *very* easy to get a flat battery :-)

Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

You would be better off with an ignition controlled relay in that circuit rather than a switch. You only need to forget once.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

This must be an 'X-Type' thing - the cigar lighter on XKs is only on from pos. I of the ignition switch.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 AM

That was one of my mistakes, I didn't meter it before working.. I just assumed (yes I *know* the meaning of assume :-)) that it was the same as the XJ I had previously.. as for the ignition relay yes I agree it would be a good idea but I struggled to get this done lol.. and I was loathe to pinch, or try to pinch power from anywhere else in case I blew another fuse elsewhere, or ended up with things more disassembled I couldn't put back together :-)

Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

You got me going! I (used to) leave the satnav plugged into the cigar lighter.
Haven't used the car for a week or more so a quick run out to the garage to check I still had a battery!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

did you fit an in-line fuse?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 AM

I could do, but instead (maybe wrongly?) depended on the 15A fuse in the glove box because (in my logic) the original socket was directly connected to the circuit wires with no fuses other than the one in the glove box fuse box..

Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Just a safety aspect mate. When I tap into anything electric I always fit a fuse, accidental shorts/fires just worry me.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 AM

For me its already a step forward as on my previous XJ I *never* considered anything other than as original lol - and if on a long trip sockets for more than just a sat nav will make a big difference. Maybe when I look at my driver side door lock (central locking not coming off when pulling at door handle after stopping and having to use wifes door - only intermittently, and usually only with the family in the car with me to see the issue) I'll fit a screwtop fuse holder next to the switch.. I have already found out the 15a fuse is a bit of a pig to get to in the glove compartment :-)

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to see some pics etc for this.

Can't stomach the thought of plugging in a USB adapter to cigarette lighter as a permanent solution.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So, to make sure I am understanding this; if I leave my USB phone charger plugged into the lighter socket it will drain the battery when the car is off?

My iPhone charger has a red LED that lights up when the car is running, meaning it has power. The light goes out when the car is off, meaning it doesn't have power. Right?

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 AM

I'll sort some pics for you bearing in mind I am no DIY genius :-( .. the cigarette lighter/usb sockets weren't that expensive, and I didn't really have much of a choice as when the previous owner took over the ashtray area for a Kenwood CD changer header there was no longer a cigarette lighter socket at all in the car. If I was more tech savvy I should have put the power past the ignition relay, but I haven't had an issue with forgetting to power the sockets off when not in use.. as when getting out of the car I always unplug and hide any portable devices anyway so it's part of the routine.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

The plot thickens.
Electrical diagram for the 2002 X type shows two possible supplies to the cig lighter, an unswitched battery one OR from Ign switch pos ll. It doesn't say which is selected or for why but both possibilities are available.
Presumably Steve has the batt one and rclanglan the ign version.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 AM

That's what caught me out initially as I turned ignition off but on linking into the cigarette lighter wiring found +12V.. and promptly popped the fuse :-) and because I am not too proficient rather than try to trace cabling for a switched source just fitted a discrete on off toggle switch in the line to both front and rear fitted sockets..

Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

There are two live feeds to the cig lighter. One for the actual lighter and one for the interior light surrounding the lighter.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
The plot thickens.
Electrical diagram for the 2002 X type shows two possible supplies to the cig lighter, an unswitched battery one OR from Ign switch pos ll. It doesn't say which is selected or for why but both possibilities are available.
Presumably Steve has the batt one and rclanglan the ign version.
I went out and double checked last night. When the car is on, the LED on the charger lights up red. Car is off, light is out.

Charger has been in the car for a week or so. If it was going to drain the battery, I think it would have done so by now.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM
Smile Pictures.... no DIY genius - but you prob know that from the pics :(

As I said, I am no DIY genius, but the positioning seems to work well for the kids in the back and for me to plug things in the front. The switch is there as my cigarette lighter source is not off when the ignition goes off and each adapter has a power converter in it to supply the USB ports so would drain the battery. The adapters came with double sided tape but I have used silicone sealant an edges to ensure they stay put and are rock solid. The cabling has been run down from the back along the side of the centre section just under the leading edge.. to get past the dear selectors I had to be very careful to ensure the routing was well clear of things (as I found out on the move when I couldnt change gear as the cabling had moved) and then the cabling goes up past the switch and behind the ashtray area. To do that I had to remove the ashtray assy and the gearstick cowling but was more tricky due to lack of cable length and accessibility of the cable loom - but otherwise went well..

Attached Thumbnails Cigarette lighter socket - a story of fitting, and warnings :-)-wp_000051.jpg   Cigarette lighter socket - a story of fitting, and warnings :-)-wp_000050.jpg   Cigarette lighter socket - a story of fitting, and warnings :-)-wp_000049.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics.. gives me some ideas for when I pick up my X-type at the weekend

Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard that there are two possible fuses in the X type for the cigarette lighter, is it possible to simply switch the fuse to the 'ignition only' designation instead of the 'always on' designation for the cigarette lighter? Let me know thanks.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My X Type cigarette lighter only works when the ignition is on.

Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter socket - a story of fitting, and warnings :-)