X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool cleaning under the hood

Hi I have a 2002 jaguar x type and i can see a small layer of brown dirt on my engine underneath the cover, is there a good way to go about to clean it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Dampen your rag, wipe, rinse, repeat. Do not spray anything on the engine, whether its chemical based or just water. Asking for trouble if we do. Many have learned the hard way. Glad you asked first.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by h20boy
Dampen your rag, wipe, rinse, repeat. Do not spray anything on the engine, whether its chemical based or just water. Asking for trouble if we do. Many have learned the hard way. Glad you asked first.
thanks for the well thought advice....Im cleaning the engine now..I always ask questions here advice here is always better than anywere else!!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by xtype owner
Hi I have a 2002 jaguar x type and i can see a small layer of brown dirt on my engine underneath the cover, is there a good way to go about to clean it.
Our engines are not as fragile as some people seem to think. I don't know where this idea came from. I've had my '03 for 2 years now and have power washed the under side and under the hood, including removing the engine cover and spraying to remove collected dirt, several times, probably 4 or 5 times at least. Of course I don't direct the spray right at electrical and electronic parts but all other areas where dirt collects are fair game. Under the hood I usually don't use the most concentrated stream but mostly a small fan spray. As I say I do this regularly and there has been no ill affects. The Jag engine is no different than any other engine, it's not made of sugar that will melt down under a water wash. I clean all my vehicles this way and have never had one fall apart yet. You simply have to use common sense of where you are directing the water stream.
This is my 2 cents on this subject.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Does this mean my favorite detailing tool (small steam cleaner by McCullough) is not a good idea?

Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I was really sure that Cats don't like to get wet

Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I think the engine bay is layed out a bit different in the xtypes, than the other xjs, s-types or xks. I've heard more than a few problems with getting water in the coils and messing with electrical connectors. Its a chance everyone takes, but as long as you are informed, you may proceed.

Only caveat, when their clean, post pictures in the detailing section. And I thank you in advance.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.3 KB

When the engine is dry, try using a small 1" paintbrush to loosen / remove any fine dirt particles from any crevices or hard to reach places where the dirt accumulates.
There should be no problem with a light steam cleaning as long as you're careful. Depending what model you have its usually a good idea to wrap any electrical components in cling film or similar to protect as much as possible before using a steam cleaner. Diesels aren't a problem.
For any extreme dirt / grease / grime try using gunk or similar de-greaser and leave to soak for 10 mins or so and then rinse.
Protect any hoses and engine cover etc etc with possible some of the following
Meguiars APC / Poorboys Natural Dressing for a deep lustre.
Some parts that are usually always neglected is the underside of the bonet area. I always give that area a wipe down as part of my wash routine and it looks as good as new

Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I clean the engine compartments on all my cars twice a year. I used to do this professionally while working my way through college. Use Simple Green or similar non-toxic degreaser. You can cut it with water at 50/50 for most of the bay, but use 100% for the grease/oil areas.

Don't use a pressure washer, use a regular garden hose, preferably with a hot water hookup. Soak w/ simple green for about 5 to 10, then loosen the heavy stuff with a brush of your choice (you will probably be throwing the brush away afterwards). Rinse. Repeat as needed.

Don't concentrate a spray at electrical connections and components. You can wrap if you want some extra security, but generally not needed on modern vehicles. Older cars with distributors you should wrap the components.

Start the car immediately after done washing, let idle for 5 to 10 min to build up heat and speed dry time. Optional - use compressed air to blow out low areas. Leave the hood open for air drying for a half hour or so, depending on temp/weather conditions.

Spray wax all painted surfaces (eagle 1 nano works good). Wipe down everything else. Wash your car immediately after to remove any residue from exterior painted surfaces and windshield.

Only use a rubber treatment sparingly,as it can help dirt stick if used excessivly. I skip that stuff. Don't use clear coat on anything either (old dealer trick) - it will flake and look like crap shortly.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64

When the engine is dry, try using a small 1" paintbrush to loosen / remove any fine dirt particles from any crevices or hard to reach places where the dirt accumulates.
There should be no problem with a light steam cleaning as long as you're careful. Depending what model you have its usually a good idea to wrap any electrical components in cling film or similar to protect as much as possible before using a steam cleaner. Diesels aren't a problem.
For any extreme dirt / grease / grime try using gunk or similar de-greaser and leave to soak for 10 mins or so and then rinse.
Protect any hoses and engine cover etc etc with possible some of the following
Meguiars APC / Poorboys Natural Dressing for a deep lustre.
Some parts that are usually always neglected is the underside of the bonet area. I always give that area a wipe down as part of my wash routine and it looks as good as new
Thanks for the advice....another question...i have several bolts and screws seem to have rust on them...can I just replace them and install them myself...if so does it have to be a certain tightness????