X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking, Rattle & Humming Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking, Rattle & Humming Sound.

Alright guys, car is still down but in the meantime I want to try and determine what other issues
are starting to develop that I've been noticing for the past few months.

While driving the car I notice at low speeds a strange clicking sound, I'm not sure if the sound
is coming from a clicking CV axle or is something transmission related. It's a very light clicking sound.
With the windows up and at slower speeds you can hear the click which speeds up the faster you drive.
Is this normal for the AWD setup on the X-Type or is this some type of indication of mechanical failure.

I've checked the undercarriage for any damage, all the bellow boots are in-tact, without any sign of leakage.
Shocks seem in good condition as well, nice soft driving without any abnormal pops or excessive bouncing.

Up on the lift I can see a buildup of fluid around what seems to be the gasket for the transmission oil pan?
As I am aware I cannot find any part number for a replacement gasket / filter.
I'm not sure if this is being caused by the transmission being run low of fluid if it is indeed low.

Secondly as many of you are aware you cannot simply check the fluid level on these cars
without undergoing an entire process and using equipment to check the temp of the fluid
prior to checking the fluid level through the inspection level plug.

What is an actual indication that the noise would be coming from the transmission, also
how would you go about testing if the transmission has sufficient fluid to operate efficiently.

Next sound is a rattle from a stand still, sounds like a loose heat shield.
Goes away under load, from a standstill as soon as you press the accelerator
you momentarily hear the rattle sound from the engine bay area.

Last sound I have is a humming sound while turning.
Checked center support bearing on the drive shaft. Looks in good condition.

Attempted to try to pry against wheel to check for free play in passenger rear wheel bearing.
No such luck, cannot get it to budge at all. The sound only happens sometimes.
The sound is coming from the rear and gets worse with riders in the rear passenger side.
Is this a common issue with this particular car. Is this a sign of a wheel bearing failing.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Ryan Hallas; 02-09-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ryan, you have a few issues going on here from what I can tell. The easier one to diagnose and figure out, the humming from the rear. From what you describe, I bet you will find out that if you make a right hand turn, the humming to diminish/go away and when you make a left turn, it remains constant. This is almost certainly a bad right rear wheel hub bearing.

As for the rattling sound, I think you are on the right track. Odds are, you are looking at the rear heat shield (between the engine and the fire wall) for the exhaust manifold. This is known for coming loose and causing what you are hearing.

As for the clicking sound. This is most likely a CV shaft like you are thinking. A few checks that you can do. The first is to simply grab on to each of the CV shafts and attempt to move the shaft say up and down to see if you have any play. The next is to get the clicking going and then make left and right hand turns at slow speed. You will probably notice that the sound will change when you turn one way and not when you turn the other. Most likely, the direction that you turn and the noise changes is the side that is bad. Granted, if you have one side that is bad, the other side is probably not to far behind and it will be a good idea (not required) to change both sides. There are a lot of write ups here on how to replace the CV shafts if you do it yourself. The big thing to keep in mind is that you need to make sure you separate the CV shaft at the correct joint. If you pull out the sleeve from the transfer case, you will have a lot more work ahead of you.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The Jaguar X400 was produced from 2001 to 2009. Since there were different problems/issues with certain MYs, you might tell us the mystery car involved.

TSBs were issue for certain VIN ranges or Model Years. Improvements and updates were introduced along the way.

TSB XT307-03 describes a 'scraping-noise'.

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 02-10-2018 at 04:07 PM.