X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal- hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal- hard acceleration

I have a 2002 x type sport 5 speed, 105k miles. I noticed the clutch pedal was not returning all the way up, and twice, when I first went to start it up, it didn't want to go into gear. I also noticed inconsistent pedal pressure.

so I bled the clutch. although, the procedure in the JTIS seemed incorrect because the pedal did not return up after depressing it with the bleeder valve open. so i would only bleed while the clutch was on the downstroke then have my assistant pull the clutch back up and repeat.

that seemed ​​​​​​to solve the problem until some hard acceleration. I'm not having as inconsistent clutch feel as before bleeding but the pedal return problem persists. it only occurs after hard acceleration and quick shifts. I wonder if my clutch master cylinder could be letting in air after releasing the clutch fast. or if this is a clutch, pressure plate, dmf problem. I also know it could be the slave, but if it's that, everything is getting replaced. seems like this is a common problem on the x type. is there a consensus on the cause? anyone have the part number for the clutch master cylinder? any input will be appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:41 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default CLUTCH

I am no expert but your clutch return is by spring not only fluid pressure.
I would look first at a lube job on the pedal.

There again I could be totally wrong.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Might read this for insight =

Clutch pedal springs Jaguar X Type

Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Any tips on that 'Lube Job' for the clutch peal?

Old 07-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default clutch

Originally Posted by Patterson
Any tips on that 'Lube Job' for the clutch peal?

No sorry. The clutch pedal must rotate about a shaft! it is returned by spring pressure so either the shaft is dry or the spring is shot.
There is an electrical switch for the cruise control under there somewhere so be careful about just spraying lube.
One of the experts will be along soon to tell you exactly how to proceed.
good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Patterson (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Here is some info that I pulled from the repair manual:

Operation of the clutch pedal:

The central slave cylinder is fixed to the clutch housing with three bolts, together with an integrated release bearing. The release bearing is a press - fit on the clutch slave cylinder.
The hydraulic fluid which is displaced by the master cylinder piston moves the piston in the clutch slave cylinder, which in turn moves the release bearing in an axial direction. The release bearing presses against the tongues of the diaphragm spring with the inner bearing ring.
This breaks the friction contact between the clutch disc and the flywheel. When the clutch pedal is released the diaphragm spring returns the piston in the clutch slave cylinder to its original position. This restores the friction contact between the clutch disc and the flywheel.

As for how to grease the clutch pedal, the shop manual seems to be pretty quiet on that. I personally would get under there with some 3-N-1 oil or something like that and where the shaft goes into the clutch pedal assembly, apply some oil there and see what happens. The 3-N-1 oil is compatible with most plastics and rubber. so, there there should be minimal chance of any interaction there. While down there, I would also see if you can manually lift the clutch pedal any. If you can, then odds are your problem lies with the return spring.