Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: Coilover shocks

Chrome looks much more better whena car has a darker color like black .

Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For sure on black its more tolerable...really though depending on what people do to their cars also helps it look better! I don't like that baby blue color on any of our x's!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i second that baby blue hatred comment

Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with both the baby blue and the chrome not looking good. Im not really a fan of chrome

Old 06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

It's all in good taste...I like chrome on the wheels but it has to be simple...the design of the wheel that is...no diamonds or anything like that on my ride...I may have a handgun but it is registered and the car is mine!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the topic at hand.....

I've decided to go with lowering springs and new shocks. Thanks for all the great advice.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights7.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  4.6 KB

Great stuff Xtype................what about some before n after pics as well to show us how you got on?
Always an interesting post!

JC

Old 06-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which springs and shocks did you opt for?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Said he was looking at eibach but I haven't seen too much of those on the inet! Probably had to settle for some mcpherson's...or bilstein...h&r springs have been all I've been able to find...

Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 AM

Eibach has the prodamper kit, maybe he went with that and the springs

Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 AM

I'm going with Eibach springs and Bilsein shocks. What I'm not sure of though, is if I want to (or have to) go with the HD (sport) springs. I want the car lower, but not super stiff where it's bouncing around all over the place. I was thinking about just buying the springs first to see how it rides with the stock comfort shocks, them making a descision on which Bilstein shock I want to go with. I'm thinking ( I could be wrong here) that by going with stiffer springs and comfort shocks I would split the difference between a sport ride and comfort ride.

What is you guy's experience?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

The stiffer springs are going to lower it and thus make the car stiff as well...my buddy went with the eibach springs on a monte carlo with his regular struts and he said it was a lot stiffer. Honestly if the stiffer springs and sport shocks are anything like my stock sport suspension just go with sport and the sport springs as well. You won't be bouncing all over the road you'll be sticking to it! Can't remember didn't you get 18's??? The ride is already stiffer with the 40 series tires over the stockers anyways...go all out with it! You'll appreciate the difference in the car sticking to the ground!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Does Bilstein make aftermarket sport shocks (not the ones for the sport model)? i cud only find the comfort ones, and the HD's

Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: 04XTYPE

Does Bilstein make aftermarket sport shocks (not the ones for the sport model)? i cud only find the comfort ones, and the HD's
The HD's are the sport shocks. At least that's the way I understand it.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

The stiffer springs are going to lower it and thus make the car stiff as well...my buddy went with the eibach springs on a monte carlo with his regular struts and he said it was a lot stiffer. Honestly if the stiffer springs and sport shocks are anything like my stock sport suspension just go with sport and the sport springs as well. You won't be bouncing all over the road you'll be sticking to it! Can't remember didn't you get 18's??? The ride is already stiffer with the 40 series tires over the stockers anyways...go all out with it! You'll appreciate the difference in the car sticking to the ground!
I did go with 18's.

I appriciate the advice.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

How bad are your roads in florida xtype 750? I live in michigan and our roads are disgusting...I don't notice the kidney's getting beat up but I'm one of those guys that screams everytime the car hits a bump...I'll change lanes just to not hit any rough stretch of pavement! I also avoid dirt at all costs!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

How bad are your roads in florida xtype 750? I live in michigan and our roads are disgusting...I don't notice the kidney's getting beat up but I'm one of those guys that screams everytime the car hits a bump...I'll change lanes just to not hit any rough stretch of pavement! I also avoid dirt at all costs!
For the most part the roads are really nice down here. We dont have any snow plows and tire chainsthat tear them up in the winter.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM

I don't think the HD's are the Jag Sport spec shocks. HDs are generally desinged for lowered cars and stiffer springs. Additionally, Sport spec shocks from Jag are relatively inexpensive while the Bilstein HD's are about $200 a pop for the front. Bilstein lists Comfort, Sport, and HD spec for X-Type.

I would reccomend the HDs over your stock shocks, especially if you have the comfort spec shocks from the factory. You will not only prematurely wear your shocks out, but you may end up with a car that bounces down the road. Shocks don't make a car stiffer, they keep the tires on the road. If you're worried about a harsh ride, buy Jag's Sport spec shocks and springs and forget the Eibachs. You will end up with a hard ride from lowered springs no matter the shocks. What shocks you choose will determine how well your tires stay on the road and how bouncy your ride is. A softer shock will not have the dampening power neccessary to handle upgraded springs.

I think you'll be good with HDs and Eibachs.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:37 PM

BTW, there is a difference between a "bouncy" ride and a "stiff" ride. A bouncy ride is poorly dampened and cause the car to bound up and down when going over bumps and can actually hurt handling and traction. Most people who simply cut their springs or lower the ride hieght and use crappy shocks find this out quick. A stiff ride is one that keeps the tires on the ground and the car parallel to the pavement, but often this trait sacrifices driver comfort. There is a difference between dampening the road feel and dampening the vehicle's dynamics and load changes.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bilstein sport shocks and HD's are the same pressure rating. The sports are 1" shorter in length as they are designed for "lowered" vehicles. They are both compressed at 360 psi.
Look at this link, it gives a breakdown of all the shocks. that site has alot of good suspension info on it. And breaks them down from stiffest to most comfortable.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/scale.cfm

Quick Reply: Coilover shocks