X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold starting issues 2003 2.1 x type auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold starting issues 2003 2.1 x type auto

car will start with a little starting fluid otherwise it just winds over and over
once started it will start effortlessly
have replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, cam and crank sensor, Is not currently showing any trouble codes

Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

jczaban, first off, welcome to the group. Lots of good information here and lots of people willing to help. But, we do ask a simple thing of you. Please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and what brings you here. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

Now, for your problem. This is sounding like a common issue with the X-Type. What I want you to try is when you get in the car, turn the key to the RUN position (not START) and let the car sit there for a few seconds and then finally roll the car to START. Did the car start this time. If so, your problem is your fuel pump is starting to go and it is allowing fuel to drain all the way back to the fuel tank and if you roll the key to the START position right off the bat, it simply can't get enough fuel up there to start the car. But, by turning the key to RUN for a few seconds, this allows the fuel pump to prime the system and get the pressure up where it needs to be so the car can start. This is why after the engine is started, it will start every time there after.

If this doesn't fix your issue, let me know and we can take things from there.

The following users liked this post:
jczaban (03-21-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:43 AM

thanks thermo
I have always aited for fuel pressure to establish befrore starting but to no avail
Took out the cold start (IAC valve), throtle body bypass valve today,
badly corroded on 1 side only, Your thoughts?
In the process of checking it out
Didnt start today after cleaning it
Thanks
John

Old 03-15-2018, 05:21 AM

just another thought
What are the symptoms of a crook throttle bypass valve?
Thanks in advance
John

Old 03-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

jczaban, if your IAC valve was bad, your idle would be all over the place, not just at a cold start. So, if you can start the car and all is good, then you can rule that out. Granted, did you clean the throttlebody by chance (wipe out with a rag covered in carb cleaner). You can try doing the pause again, but depress the accelerator pedal once to break things free.

I am running out of ideas at this point.

jczaban (03-21-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Hi thermo
what is the plastic pipe that pushes into the inlet manifold ahead of the throttle body that goes to a solenoid/switch/valve on the firewall?
Could this have anything to do with a little injection of fuel into the inlet? Do you know what its called?
look forward to your thoughts
John

Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Veteran member

jczaban, that tube is what does the emissions testing of the fuel tank to see if you have a leak in the petrol tank. The valve (solenoid) will pull a vacuum on the gas tank at periodic intervals and then monitor the vacuum to see if it stays or if it fades away.

jczaban (03-21-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 AM

Again Thanks again
i too am running out of ideas
that has at least answered my curiosity about that pipe
I’ll keep poking and prodding and let you know any progress in due course
regards
john

Old 03-19-2018, 04:02 AM

New info
Checked the fuel line schrader valve - no fuel, aha the dilemma thickens
but when the ignition is put to position 2 there is a sound of fuel pump working up pressure
Is there a secondary transfer pump on a 2.1?
Could there be an air lock? Ran a couple of days ago so its baffling, Have checked fuses and alectrics, no problems there now !!!!
Any thoughts would be most appreciated
thanks in advance
John

Old 03-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Try Fuel Filter.

My Father in law had a similar problem with his XJ40, turned out to be a blocked fuel filter which was full of water and black crud from a bad batch of fuel. New filter and drained the tank and it's been fine since. Never got fuel from that place again though.

jczaban (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:49 PM

Yeh Thanks for the thought
I have however already swapped the fuel filter, as an update, I took out the schrader valve on the fuel rail and hooked up a clear line to a container and turned on the ignition.
In about 10 seconds I had about 2 cm in the bottom of the 2litre container, Fuel pump seems to be working fine.
1 more variable out the road, Will keep poking and prodding
A great thought

Old 03-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen some posts about the brake booster vacuum line being bad. Something about the check valve cracking. They added epoxy to the cracked area and that seemed to fix it. There was a video on youtube that showed it.

Also, The PCV Hose can break and cause trouble too. I guess it is something that happens often on these.

Just my 2 cents worth.

jczaban (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Filter on pump

1 more thought, I haven't had an X-Type pump out yet but every other EFI vehicle I've worked on has had a fine filter located on the pickup in the fuel tank. I have often had to clean or replace those as they gum up with crud restricting the fuel flow.
It's probably time to put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and check if the pressure is within specs, then do a flow volume test. If all is within spec then you have probably eliminated the pump and filters at least and may need to do an injector flow test. After that its probably time to look at the electrical/ignition system and go right through all the places where there could be a vacuum leak. I've had dirty injectors cause me a variety of grief, and recently we had an intermittent vacuum leak from a split hose in the in-laws 2006 Santa FE which caused hard starting and driveabliity issues and didn't show any error codes. We also had the TPS play up causing the same issues but that showed a code and was fixed with some circuit board cleaner as it was just dust and crud in the potentiometer in the throttle body.
Hope this gives you some more ideas.

Last edited by jonrothwell; 03-21-2018 at 06:22 PM.
jczaban (03-21-2018)