X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant hose refurbishment quote - out of this world!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolant hose refurbishment quote - out of this world!

As my car is getting older I thought I'd get a quote for complete refurbishment and replacement of the cooling system hoses and connectors.
I got the quote from Natrad Fyshwick, ACT, Australia. Just the (genuine Jaguar) parts alone would cost $3000 AUD. They said with labour factored in it might approach $4000 AUD.
Needless to say I was shocked. I have put this project off until my loan is paid out in 3 years' time as my I can redirect what I would have been putting into loan repayments into my servicing funding pool - hopefully the hoses will last until then. At that time the car will be 12 years old, so it will be well due for refurbishment by then.

Last edited by Clackavosticus; 07-03-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Clackavosticus: Years ago we routinely saw a car on the side of the road with the hood up and steam billowing out. Everyone immediately knew what happened...……. blown radiator hose. I bet you haven't seen this in years, maybe even decades. What change?

Natural rubber used to be the mainstay of coolant and vacuum hoses under the hood. It's great when new, strong and flexible. But unfortunately it cross-links with age and heat, eventually cracking and splitting when it no longer flexes like new.

Today, EPDM replaced natural rubber in the engine compartment because it stays soft and flexible, even after 16 years in the case of my 2002 X-Type with ~140+K miles. So there's no need to replace your X-Type's EPDM hoses just because they're old. Replace them only if damaged.

The following users liked this post:
Clackavosticus (07-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dwclapp
Clackavosticus: Years ago we routinely saw a car on the side of the road with the hood up and steam billowing out. Everyone immediately knew what happened...……. blown radiator hose. I bet you haven't seen this in years, maybe even decades. What change?

Natural rubber used to be the mainstay of coolant and vacuum hoses under the hood. It's great when new, strong and flexible. But unfortunately it cross-links with age and heat, eventually cracking and splitting when it no longer flexes like new.

Today, EPDM replaced natural rubber in the engine compartment because it stays soft and flexible, even after 16 years in the case of my 2002 X-Type with ~140+K miles. So there's no need to replace your X-Type's EPDM hoses just because they're old. Replace them only if damaged.
Thanks for that info - it has put my mind at ease. I didn't know natural rubber had been replaced by EPDM.
Even considering what you said - I would still be tempted to replace the hoses at about 15 years as even EPDM would be showing its age by this stage. Even long life components will have their limits. I'd rather be safe than sorry - I would rather change out the hoses sooner rather than having one crack due to age and leave me at the side of the road...

Last edited by Clackavosticus; 07-04-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

D.I.Y =

Old 07-04-2018, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Alternatively, SNG Barratt a forum sponser. Mention forum for a discount.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...6/14084/1/50/1

Old 07-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Clackavosticus: Preventative maintenance is good, and our aging X-Types are prone to leak from a few weak spots:
+ Coolant reservoir: stress cracks in the bottom and at the nipples
+ Plastic T above the thermostat housing: stress crack
+ Water pump: worn out seal
+ O-rings at metal joints: flatten out and seep
+ Radiator and aluminum pipes: internal corrosion from old or watery coolant

Coolant hoses are no longer a weak spot after EPDM replaced natural rubber in the 1990's, iirc.

Fortunately, the above leaks begin very slowly. Unfortunately, they can be difficult to pinpoint because the leak is so minimal at first, and the small amount of leaked coolant quickly evaporates in the hot engine compartment. So in the time it takes to find and fix the leak, it's helpful to keep a watchful eye on the coolant level, and a gallon jug of water or coolant in the trunk just in case.

Last edited by dwclapp; 07-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

SNG Barratt is an excellent reference for pricing. I did a quick review of the costs for hoses and pipes for a complete refurbishment and it rings in around $1,300.00 dollars US. That is without shipping and any import fees.
If you download the catalog or use the website you have hoses from the expansion tank to the pump and the radiator. Hoses from the water pump to the heater and radiator. Last but not least is the hoses from the radiator to the engine. A normal question is does the upper hose assembly come with a thermostat and seals? From SNG Barratt it does. I bought my replacement from them and they were kind enough to take back the thermostat and seals I had ordered separately.
The biggest single cooling system problem is thermocycling affecting the plastic pipe components. The constant heating and cooling makes them vulnerable to cracking.