X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak (fixed)

Old 09-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak (fixed)

This is a 2003 x-type and overheated. After searching, I found a crack in the coolant tank. I temp fixed with bathroom caulk, refilled with 50/50 antifreeze and in only a ten mile round trip, the coolant had leaked while running. I did not see any leaks in any of the hoses. Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

pclem, I am fighting the same thing right now. If you look under the car, do you you see the coolant leaking from the transfer case. I think it is one of the hoses under the throttle body, but haven't found the culprit yet. Also, from the experience of other members on the forum, if you found a crack in the coolant tank, odds are, that is where your leak is still from. THe fixes for the coolant tank have normally all failed except for 1 or 2 of them. I would do another look at the coolant tank to make sure that your fix is holding up. I would venture to guess it is not.

Please stop by and introduce yourself in the "New Member" section. we are a friendly bunch here and try to help out each other and in the process, like to get to learn a little bit about each other. We also ask that once you find the final solution, you let us know. This will help others in the future so they will hopefully not have to go through what you are right now.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Default coolant leak

Dear Thermo,

Thank you. I am not sure about transfer case or exactly positive where the throttle body is located. I know what a throttle looks like, I am just learning my way around and trying to do more maintenance myself. So far, I ordered the coolant tank and am waiting to receive that and install it. I do not dare drive it since I am worried it will cause more damage. What do you think about two of the local mech. saying it might be a head gasket or cracked head versus the dealer mech. saying it probably is not. It does have 98,000 mi. though.
Do I take the cover off to find the throttle body and other hoses you guys are talking about? Thank you again for your help and e-mail. I did post an intro. and another about this issue. I really appreciate the help. Jag charges way too much and I am not too trusting of their mechanics.

pclem

Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

pclem, I would have a hard time jumping right to a head gasket issue at this point. there are too many other simple things to check before getting to that point. Especially when past experience here has shown that most leaks are simply a failing hose or a problem with the tank.

As for the throttlebody, open the hood (british call it the bonnet) of the car and you will see a box right behind the radiator that is labeled "Jaguar". This is the air box. You will see a large black duct coming off of the right (driver's) side. If you follow this back, the first metal piece you come to is the throttle body. There's a bunch of hoses right underneath it.

The best advice that I can tell you is if your problem is like mine, get the car up to temp, remove the cover from off of the engine, then using a flashlight, do a lot of looking around at the engine to see if you can determine where the leak is coming from. Once you find the leak, the solution should be pretty intuitive.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

I had the same issue about a month and a half ago. It was a hose that broke and I had it fixed by my mechanic. I have 150k mi on my '03 xtype jag and it was only the hose. So a head gasket sounds unlikely to me. Good Luck!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-14-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Default coolant tank leak

Dear Thermo and all,

Thank you for the suggestion. I removed the "bonnet" but I also had to remove the other black cover behind it. I found the air filter. As you can tell, I am new to auto. mech. other than spark plugs and oil changes. I changed the coolant tank. That was easY! I still couldnt see much after removing the cover. I also didn't see any leaks. I ran it without the coolant tank cover for a few min. This time it stayed cool, the tank anti-freeze turned a combo. of both types I had put it, green and orange. Very little if any smoke seemed to be coming out of the exhaust. Much different from when I had the cracked tank in there. I did see what looked like a burnt, black spot on the engine just underneath the oil cap. Is that bad news? I did find a local mechanic who will pressure test it for $80.00 versus $189.00 at the dealership which is over an hr. away. I am hoping the coolant tank is the only problem but after seeing that black spot I doubt it. I couldn't find the spark plugs! What a boggle of wires and hoses so much so that you can't see anything on this car. I am hoping the mechanic will help. I'll let everyone know. It's comforting to know that v612 has 150,000 mi. and no major problems. I hope I will be as fortunate.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

pclem, good to hear things are atleast moving in the right direction for you. As for the dark spot near the oil fill cap, I would not worry about it too much. It may be just old oil that has collected dirt. It seems to me that there is also something down in that region that will lead to what you are seeing. If you can, take a picture of it and post the pic here. That will help me atleast to see if it is something that is normal or if it is something that should be looked at.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

pclem, I changed my water pump today. It was a piece of cake to do. If you can do the coolant reservior, then you can do the water pump. This is probably the easiest water pump I have ever done. Less than an hour and all as done. If you want me to step you through it, let me know. The tools are pretty simple. As long as you have some basic metric tools, you should have everything needed to do the job.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-23-2013)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default coolant leak

GREAT NEWS!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM

Thermo,

Thank you again for all your help. I didn't have to change the water pump and don't see any leaks. However, when I took it in to have it inspected, it would not communicate with the state computer but passed a visual inspection. The computer cleared two of the codes but it will still not communicate even though the directions were followed and it was driven. The jag mechanic said that the computer will reset once it's driven. That is not true and the battery was low and changed too. Any thoughts? I really need to get it inspected. It's long overdue.

pclem

Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM

I would love some help water pump install this weekend...2002 x type