X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak, need help with diagnosis please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant leak, need help with diagnosis please

Hi, ive been filling my reservoir every so often due to a leak which i could not find. Finally i found it in action and it was right in my face.. Its coming from one of the main Radiator hoses which right in the front of the car from under the Air ram intake and over to the right then goes down. Today i attempted to unbolt the intake box to get a clearer view but got stuck when it came to pulling it out. Before i order the hose i want to make sure that is the problem and not where it connects directly below the ram air. Is this a common problem? If so what is the correct part to order? thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Same problem on mine, apparently the best way to access/ further diagoniose this probelm is to take the front bumper cover off, whcih isn't hard to do. You will be better able to see, and find the problem. I just don't have time and am going to cough up the 600 bucks to repair it.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Same problem on mine, apparently the best way to access/ further diagoniose this probelm is to take the front bumper cover off, whcih isn't hard to do. You will be better able to see, and find the problem. I just don't have time and am going to cough up the 600 bucks to repair it.
Ok thanks, what is included in the 600? i cant immagine its that much just to replace one hose?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Matl, pulling off the intake is pretty straight forward. I bet you forgot to get the 2 (?) bolts inside the air box. Once you remove those bolts and undo the clamps on the throttle body, the rest is pretty straight forward. From there, you should have full access to the top radiator hose. The replacement is pretty straight forward. Just make sure to burp the coolant system properly to prevent future problems.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

hose which is apparently 327, which i found for a 127, labour, which is 275, and a bunch of other stuff. But do what thermo's says first.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gold plated hose? 327 holy crap!!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sound like it the small rad hose the connects on top of the rad and goes to the coolant tank far back nipple. or the small hose nipple on the rad itself is crack and you need a new rad. just pressure test the system and you should find the leak

Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM

hi guys thanks for the help, i got the airbox off and instantly spotthe the problem, there is a platsic T which feeds down to some sort of valve which has a crack on the top of it... looks like an expensive piece. Does anyone know the name or part number so i can price it? For now i am gong to just sand it down and do a little JB fix on it untill i can get the proper piece. here is a picture of it

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak, need help with diagnosis please-101_2607.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

perhaps, gold plated, now that a jag peice lol

Old 12-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Matl, if it is just the T that is an issue, check out your local auto parts store. They may have a T that you can toss in there and get it fixed for pretty cheap ($5 for the T, another $5 in some hose clamps). Not sure how the bottom hose is attached, but should be a pretty straight forward fix. The only issue I see is that doing this repair, you will be draining out most of the coolant from the engine, so, a good burbing of the system will be required once all is said and done.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Matl, if it is just the T that is an issue, check out your local auto parts store. They may have a T that you can toss in there and get it fixed for pretty cheap ($5 for the T, another $5 in some hose clamps). Not sure how the bottom hose is attached, but should be a pretty straight forward fix. The only issue I see is that doing this repair, you will be draining out most of the coolant from the engine, so, a good burbing of the system will be required once all is said and done.
Thanks Thermo, When follwing the T down it is integrated with some type of a valve system and then also branches off to the block to feed coolant to what appears to maybe be the water pump? Idealy i should replace the whole setup but i think that will be pricey, for now the JB weld is seems to be holding. Other option would be to get a generec T and cut the existing part and reconnect with a piece of radiator tubing and clamps?

I'm not very familiar with burping the system? is there a specific method? Long ago on my acura i just ran it with the radiator cap off and squeezed all the hoses... haha.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

Matl, to "burp" your Kitty (boy does that sound funny), you are supposed to fill the system up as much as you can. Then you are supposed to pinch off the hoses going to the heater core in the dash (only need to pinch 1 hose). Now, start up the car and let it come up to temp. This will force maximum flow through the block, pushing all the air out of the system. Then you can release the clamp, let some flow occur and then block it off. Pinch/unpinch the hose a few times and all should be good.

As for buying a new hose, I think one member here recently looked into it and that hose is like $330 (dealer part only). Oh, you want it installed, that is more. Granted, I am sure with a good parts guy, you can create your own hose for about $100 using a few hoses they have on the shelf and assembling it yourself with a plastic T.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 PM

matl, the hose can be had for $114.95+ s/h on partstrain.com, it is the oem part. Had the same exact problem during the summer. The fix was a pain, little space to work. The valve is the thermostat at the bottom, which comes with the hose(upper radiator).

Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Great guys thanks again for the help, for now the JB weld is holding like a champ. I will eventually fix it properly but i will go ahead and do the burp as you suggested. thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matl
hi guys thanks for the help, i got the airbox off and instantly spotthe the problem, there is a platsic T which feeds down to some sort of valve which has a crack on the top of it... looks like an expensive piece. Does anyone know the name or part number so i can price it? For now i am gong to just sand it down and do a little JB fix on it untill i can get the proper piece. here is a picture of it
Here's a thought.... and i did this once tho' not on a Jag (a Triumph)... speak to a plumber... get a copper T section braised up out of a couple of pieces ( I be the average plumber would have a couple of scrap pieces of pipe close to the diameter you want just rolling around in the back of his truck).

Mike