X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could my wife's purse cause a gear fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Could my wife's purse cause a gear fault?

I know this sounds stupid, but for some reason my wife keeps her purse on her left side while in the passenger seat, and I constantly catch it putting pressure on the shifter. About two weeks ago I had a gear fault thrown up and have been trying to figure out the cause. My wife was in the car and her purse was in its usual spot that day. I even asked her to move it because I could see it pushing the shifter slightly towards the left. That's when I noticed the gear fault.
Could her mismanagement of her purse leaning on the shifter do that?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry - even if this could be the cause, would you seriously tell her?? I have no idea but I will continue to watch CNN to see if you do actually broach the topic with her.....

Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Harry, yes, it could very easily cause the problem. What I would do is to keep an eye on the car and see what it does over the next month or so. Tell her to place the purse under her legs or in the back seat (politely of course), or anywhere else that pleases her. I am sure you could shock her a little bit into moving it by saying that you have talked to the guys here and that normally when this happens you are looking at a new tranny which is like $5000 (not that it truely costs that much, but does give a shock factor to it). Then explain that you are just trying to confirm that it isn't the case and that "we" need to keep things away from the shifter for the time being. Once you get her to start moving the purse elsewhere, after the month, she will instinctively put it elsewhere inside of your car.

If you can't convince her using logic, convince her where she pays attention, in the wallet. I'm sure she will not be happy to hear that there is a pending large expenditure on the car. She will more than likely be willing to give this a shot to see if it works.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Harry, yes, it could very easily cause the problem. What I would do is to keep an eye on the car and see what it does over the next month or so. Tell her to place the purse under her legs or in the back seat (politely of course), or anywhere else that pleases her. I am sure you could shock her a little bit into moving it by saying that you have talked to the guys here and that normally when this happens you are looking at a new tranny which is like $5000 (not that it truely costs that much, but does give a shock factor to it). Then explain that you are just trying to confirm that it isn't the case and that "we" need to keep things away from the shifter for the time being. Once you get her to start moving the purse elsewhere, after the month, she will instinctively put it elsewhere inside of your car.

If you can't convince her using logic, convince her where she pays attention, in the wallet. I'm sure she will not be happy to hear that there is a pending large expenditure on the car. She will more than likely be willing to give this a shot to see if it works.
I guess thats one way to make your transmission effect her purse

Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

mortachi, I am only offering ways to make her "appreciate" what he is saying. It is always taken much better when they want to do things.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

The solution should be apparent. Buy her a new, very expensive purse. It doesn't matter which one you choose, she will return / exchange it, but it has to cost a lot.

It seems the more they cost, the smaller they are, too - so that should solve the problem.

Choose it mostly by smell: if it smells like the leather in the Jag, it's the right one!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Two solutions
1. A Mighty and Righteous Smiting - for is it not written 'Thou Shalt Not place thy handbag upon the shiny parts of the Fiery Chariot' ?
2. Let her drive.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Two solutions
1. A Mighty and Righteous Smiting - for is it not written 'Thou Shalt Not place thy handbag upon the shiny parts of the Fiery Chariot' ?
2. Let her drive.
Let her drive?? Have you taken leave of your senses?!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

It's the Righteous Smiting then - no court in the land would convict you given the circumstances.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

You need a RHD Jaguar or a right handed wife. One of them has to go.

In CT, a RHD Jaguar may not be too practical. Replacing a wife always costs a fortune and is likely to involve losing the X-Type. It's a dilemma.

Got it. Put either of them in the luggage compartment.

Graham