Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked and Bent Aguilas

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cracked and Bent Aguilas

Hello all,

I know Jaguar has poor rims, and should have purchased the "rim/tire warranty" when I purchased the car new in 2005, but hindsite is everything.

Anyway, I have already replaced 2 rims for bending and cracking, and now learn that at least 2 more are bent and cracked, one will not hold air. Oh, I have Aguilas.

I personally like the style of the rim, but will not be putting them back on the vehicle due to being so soft.

I found the Sacchi S2 220 in hyper silver, which I like as it is similar to the Aguilas, but called and was told it wouldn't work on the vehicle, though my investigation of the rim shows 17x7, 5x108, with a 40 mm offset, which is perfect...thoughts?

I would like to know if there is a list of rims anywhere that will work on the x-type. I have read the entire FAQs under x-type regarding wheels/tyres and found the following...

Offset = +40 +/- 3
Bolt Pattern = 5x108
Centerbore = 63.6

Rims discussed or used by members...
Excite rims - not really available in the US
Z5 Ikeda - nice, similar to the Sachhi and Aguila, but don't really want chrome
Mille Miglia R6 MODA - liked alot, looks sharp on the vehicle
SSW 066 - not really a fan
Armano Vega - again, not a fan
Akuza creepin' - don't want chrome

I was doing my research and came across this site while doing so and thought I would poke around for some information.

Please let me know any information you have, and I plan to stick around as well.

Merry Christmas!

Jer

Old 12-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Default RE: Cracked and Bent Aguilas

No one?

Any help you guys can give is appreciated! My wife is driving around on the spare!

I did my homework and read the FAQ's before I posted my question, but answers about tires, etc. are being answered, which could have been found in the FAQ.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Put some decent tires on with a fair amount of side walls ..the strips of black licoriceyou kids call tires, will not protect your wheels from nothing.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I have an '02 Sport with Aguillas and haven't had any problems with them at all. In fact, I run mywinter tires on them and summer on a set of Enkei J-10s (17 x7") which were reasonably priced from www.2dayparts.com. They as well as Tire Rack have rims that fit if you search under the X-type and both have great service. UPS to Canada was only 3 days.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 PM

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
Dennis wrote: "Put some decent tires on with a fair amount of side walls ..the strips of black licoriceyou kids call tires, will not protect your wheels from nothing. "__________________________________________________ ____________________________

When I replaced the tires about 13,000 miles ago, I also replaced 2 rims. The only tires that have ever been on the car are the factory installed tires, which are Continental ContiProContact 225/45/17. Yes, they are low profile, but that is factory recommended. I am not a g-ride type of man either, I personally feel that people whom put 20" rims should only be on trucks/suvs. I even removed the 20s off of my Ram and place 17s with Mud Tires. I did nothing wrong to cause the rims to bend/crack, it's due to Cleveland and now Chicago roads.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
mohrd wrote: "I have an '02 Sport with Aguillas and haven't had any problems with them at all. In fact, I run mywinter tires on them and summer on a set of Enkei J-10s (17 x7") which were reasonably priced from www.2dayparts.com. They as well as Tire Rack have rims that fit if you search under the X-type and both have great service. UPS to Canada was only 3 days."__________________

Those look nice. Any change in drive feel? Did you run them in the winter at all? If so, how did they hold up? The rims I place on the vehicle will be summer/winter wheels. Do you have an image of the vehicle with the wheels on it?

Thanks for the replys!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

No change to drive feel.

Soon after I got my X-kitty I replaced the original Conti's, that were near done, with Michelin PS2 sports on the Enkei's and then put Michelin Artic Alpinson the Aguillas when winter rolled around. With the sport suspension it's already abit firmer ride but I only notice the difference in the summer and winter tires ride but,NOT because of the wheels. The winter tires are softer sidewall.I'm at work so don't have any pictures of the wheels on but I may post them for you over X-mas if I can remember to.

Good luck and happyholidays.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:31 AM

Bojangles,

I would agree if it were damage to the outer lip/face of the rims, but it is not. And my wife drives less than 1 mile to work a day.

All of the bending and cracking has occurred on the center-most portion of the rim, meaning the part of the rim that faces underneath the vehicle.

I was told by the Jaguar dealer in Cleveland that I really should purchase the rim/tire warranty package because me wheels will bend and become unusable on the roads of Cleveland. I thought it was a way for them to make more money, but in essance, they were actually telling the truth, who would have thunk it.

Either way, back to the original question. Does anyone think I will have issues with Sacchi S2 220 fitting/rubbing/etc?

Old 12-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Check with the vendor re: offset and center bore and they should have a reference guide. They do look very close to the factory wheels except you won't be able to use jag center cap emblems.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

91stealthes, nice job in posting the results of your initial due diligence.I'd suggest a visit to your local Les Schwab or Discount Tire outlet. They have printed catalogs and a computerized system that can pull up a variety of wheels that should work with your car. www.discounttire.com, www.tirerack.com and www.wheelmax.com all have interactive guides, but I'm disappointed in how few wheel choices they come up with.

I've done a little bit of searching for rims (for winter use) as well, and will throw out a couple more styles for you to add to your list:

ADR-78 Sterling (look somewhat like your Aguilas, but seem more durable)
Exel E-22 (if you like mesh wheels)
Stern ST-11 (if you like 5 star rims)

All three are relatively inexpensive wheel options, and all are available on Ebay.

If you want to stick with the factory wheel options, keep inmind that any of the S-Type wheels should be interchangeablewith the X-Type.Used factory rims are also frequently available on Ebay. And sometimes you get outstanding deals on Ebay on brand new factoryrims. Irecentlybought a brand new, never used set of18 inchMelbourne rims (made by BBS for Jaguar)for 1/3rd of what Jaguar's parts department would have charged me.

Good luck with your search!

Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the response and wheel options Matt!

Unfortunately, I am looking for 17's being I want to use the tires I just purchased 13k ago.

I am definately a fan of 5-star, but don't want all the "bolts" around the lip.

I called to get more information on the Sacchi S2 and found out that the center bore is 72.8...is that a problem?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:48 PM

You're very welcome. Thanks for posting the wheel options,offsets and bolt dimensions you did as well. I found that information to be helpful for my future reference.

I don't know enough about the X-Type yet to have a solid opinion on your center bore question. In general, I know you want the center bore of a wheelto match the hub center so the wheel is seated/centeredfirmly and there isn't undue pressure exerted on the bolts(whichcan cause them to shear at high speeds). If the center bore is not matched to the hub center, you're also far more likely to get wheel vibration.

The good news is that you can compensate for this by installing hub centric rings. Just do a Google image search on "hub centric rings" and you'll see what they look like. They're basically metal or plastic collars thatcompensate for the gap between aftermarket wheel center bores and the hub center. You'll need to find a set of rings where the outer diameter matches the bore of your aftermarket wheels, and the inner diameter matches the hub center.

For what it's worth, I've heard some people say that the plastic hub rings are better than the metal ones (since there's no risk of galvanic corrosion from having potentially three different types of metal in contact with each other), but I don't have enough experience with hub rings tohave a definitive opinion on that.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

A good wheel vendor will have all the fitment info AND should supply you with proper wheel nuts for the aftermarket wheels as well as hub centric rings.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Hey 91stealthes, check out http://www.thewheelconnection.com/ph...&pagenum=1. They list more X-Type compatible wheel styles in sizes ranging from 16" to 20" than I've seen anywhere else. Just discovered it yesterday.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Thanks Matt!

I found that site during my search and was excited that so many rims came back. Unfortuately, I am not sure that all of them will work.

I believe the original Sacchi I like is on their list, but the centerbore is way off. I guess it will fit with the hub-centric rings, but would prefer not to use them.

Man I wish this search was as easy as it was for my Ram.

I have been calling on every rim I like, but most will not work.

Thanks for all the help!

Best,
J

Old 12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason certain manufacturers will say there rims will not fit because of the hub sizes is because of liability. If you get a small vibrationg after installing the wheels most people would immediately blame the wheels manufacturer..... sometimes true most often not, the first thing they want to check is the HUB for debris (rust, dirt, small animals... and the like), some things that come of this is the hub sizes being off. The manufacturer can blame this instead of a poorly manufactured wheels or a poor mounting job done by the shop.
I have installed dozens of wheels with or without hub-centric rings and have had no problems. The lugnuts doall of the centeringof the wheels anyways.
This is just my opinion but i have never seen any major issues with either using hub-rings or not.
the hub rings do no support any load once the wheels is mounted to the vehicle so there is no reason not to use them if you are concerned with this.