X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy swap idea, heads up Thermo

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crazy swap idea, heads up Thermo

I have a friend and coworker at work who is an automotive engineer. He is also a little crazy in the good way. He is obsessed with the taurus and sho's. He is single and has way to much time on his hands. And he is trying to talk me into putting a SHO v8 into my car. I know it is going to be many years from now, but if he gets me a little more convinced, and I find a way to beef up my TC (I think I can do that in our machine shop) and also if I dont hate my x type, I will buy an engine if one comes across one for cheap enough. At the very least, I would try to put a v6 SHO in it.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I think that these people have seen enough of the hypothetical **** and just want to see something happen. I love the x type and the potential I see in it. Motor swaps and all that... I'm doing it just to say I did it and because it needs to be done. Maybe it will make a difference somewhere.

I just picked up a 2004 3.0 super clean low miles as my candidate. Original plan is built 3.0 bored and stroked out with all forged Internals with either twin or single turbo set up, haven't decided yet. Even thinking going sequential set up. Complete stand alone engine management, hopefully something I can tune right from a touch screen in the dash.

I've got huge plans, but given my last post with quite a bit of views and no responses, I gather they don't want to hear bullshit, I'll start a build thread when I'm close to done...

Old 12-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

slxj30, first off, with the SHO V8, you will have a tough time finding a transfer case that will bolt on to that motor/tranny combo. If you do find something like that, then you are going to end up with custom CV shafts and adapting a new rear driveshaft. While not impossible, how much are you willing to spend?

The HO Duratec V6 is going to be a better option and cheaper, but again, you already have the HO Duratec in your car (essentially). So, you might as well just find a decent motor from out of an X-Type, rebuild it to handle the power you are after and then install that with the other needed mods. But, like you mention, a fix for a questionable transfer case would need to be found first.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 PM

I'm sort of with xtype mentality. I have the 5 speed that will bolt right up to it. I work in a machine shop with some fantastic engineers and programers. They get a kick out of the crap I try, so they have helped me in the past with custom fab jobs. Like an adaptor plate for a northstar v8 to a Jeep TJ 5 speed.

I am not sure exactly what to tell you about the rear end and cv axles. Except that Everyting can be replaced with stronger parts that are better heat treated lol.

Why you wonder? bc I can! I paid $3000 for the car, we have $1100 v8 sho cars around here, and I have one of the only jaguars in my county. So why not make it even more fun? plus, do you know how much it is to do to all the internal engine work and still have a regular looking x type? about 3500 if I do all the work my self.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Plus that intake looks really awesome!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Veteran member

Not saying that you shouldn't. I just wouldn't do it with my every day driver. If you have a car that you can drop and have out of commission for a month or so, then go for it. Lots of work for something that may not work out in the long run. But, if you are having fun doing it, then that can make up for a lot of the potential cost. But then, this is also coming from the guy that was told that 37's would never even be possible on a Ford Expedition with only a 4" lift without major body work. Well, I proved them wrong and now have a truck very minimal body work sitting on 37's. So, I understand the desire all too well.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM

my engine will need to be on it's last leg, or I will have to have a free running sho to do this soon.

It will fit in the engine bay right?

Old 12-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

slxj, without having it in front of me, I cannot say with 100% certainty that it will. Both are Duratec motors, so, should. But, there may be some hidden twist in this too. I would say to put the two motors side by side and see what differences you may be able to find.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree, first step would be to gather up possible engine donors and line them up side by side. I do like the idea of a V8 in the X-Type though and it is something I was considering before SWMBO made me get rid of it (more on that later).
Something else I was considering after I got rid of it (while I was shopping for another one) was to see if the guys over at NPG would do their 3.4L or 3.5L kit. Hit them up, they might be able to help out a bit with some extra power.
I ended up going with an XF though so all I can be is moral support at this point.