obviously not,

please try

Last edited by Cadillac; 05-18-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: For image viewing
Old 05-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CPLONEY
Hi all,

Getting the same problems as listed above.

Took the panel off to check pipes as a matter of course really.

The straight pipe itself is intact however the flexipipe/elbow joint that runs from behind airfilter into what I think is the aforementioned PVC pipe has a lovely big split in it, would this cause the same issue?

I have tried to post a much more elaborate post and picture but lost the post and no idea how to post a picture up here as I dont have a webhost picture doo-da.

Thanks in advance for any help here
Can't see the pic. Are you talking about the 90 degree elbow fitting coming off the top of the valve cover right beside the airbox that mates up with the pcv hose (pvc hose being about 8 to 10 inches long, about 3/4 of an inch in diameter - new ones are ribbed, older ones are smooth).

If so, I would hazard a guess that you would indeed experience the same symptoms - check engine light, erratic running as described earlier in the thread.

Believe it or not my original pcv split last week and the split was almost exactly 3 inches. Crazy.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get it scanned coded

Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did anybody else LOL a bit when they read the title of this thread?

Or was it just me?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Not just you, I also have the mentality of a 13 year old.

I thought about it again when I was describing that hose. Ribbed, smooth, hose...jeez this is the double entendre thread all over the place.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Hi all,

Getting the same problems as listed above.

Took the panel off to check pipes as a matter of course really.

The straight pipe itself is intact however the flexipipe/elbow joint that runs from behind airfilter into what I think is the aforementioned PVC pipe has a lovely big split in it, would this cause the same issue?

I have tried to post a much more elaborate post and picture but lost the post and no idea how to post a picture up here as I dont have a webhost picture doo-da.

Thanks in advance for any help here

does this work?
Here's a link to your picture that you tried to post, for some reason you can't post Twitpics directly here.

But yea this problem happened to my car as well, it turned out the be the PCV hose & Valve along with some Vacuum Hoses that needed to be replaced and so far the Cruise Control Not Available and the jerking once increased acceleration has ceased.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM

http://twitpic.com/1owx14 What you're pointing at is the main problem

Old 05-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

See Page 1 of this thread 6th post down ;-)

Old 05-24-2010, 01:50 PM

thanks for this folks,

can I get this part from a dealer in the UK?

What am I asking for specifically?

Additionally I think a moderator may have removed my original attempt at putting a picture up.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Nope, I had converted into thumbnail mode rather than link which is far easier to see . The images could view when you browse this page .I reckon there is something wrong your image hoster .So please repost the link so that any mod or me can do correction
Thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, that would do it. It allows "free" air in the system and the computer cannot compensate to the correct air/fuel ratio.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM

I am facing a similar issue, --I drive to work from central NJ to CT its a 100 mile run and the engine starts jerking once i have driven 50 plus miles I have tried to switch to sports mode there is no change it just wont stop jurking -today I stopped for few minutes in between the jerks went away but after running 20-25 miles I could feel them back. the the engine light came up, I did a acan and it came 'P2635 Fuel Pump "A" Low Flow / Performance'

I have already replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter , but as some of you have been discussing about a hose leak... you mention there could be that one of the hoses are leaking and pulling in AIR, i don't know where to start looking could anybody please give me any assistance here

FYI
I had an issue with the hissing noise from the throttle body , I have replaced the o-rings.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

bb - start with the PCV hose that runs from the front of the intake toward the front of the car, next to the airbox. About 8 inches long and about a 1" diameter hose, give or take. Look for a split in that hose. You have to remove the plastic engine cover if you have one.

Next take a look at the brake booster hose - it is the hard plastic one with the check valve in it running from the intake over to the brake system assembly. There is a pic in the "whats this hose" thread and you'll see both of them.

Seems to be a rash of these two items leaking lately, must be due to everyone's X getting a little older.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi I recently got a Jag X-type and from reading this thread I replaced the PVC pipe. I got one from the dealer in Tucson for $16. Two mins to install. Good call! The OG pipe is just a fiber-reinforced rubber tube, the new one is a black PVC molded part with clamps! Here's a pic of the two.

Name:  0727101805.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  45.8 KB
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/SHAWNP%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-29.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/SHAWNP%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-30.png[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 AM

hi i also had this problem and after looking at Buckmr2 photo found a split that ran almost the entire length of this hose, don't know if it is rectified but the cruise control unavailable and engine management light went off immediately, my question is my car has been showing P0430 and P0420 emission control problems, could the split in this pipe also been the reason for these engine codes ?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Those 2 codes will definately be related to the split pipe (had them on mine when the hose was split).The chances of 2 different sensors on different engine banks going at the same time are minimal.
Unmetered air gets into the system through the split and causes incorrect readings from the 2 lambda sensors upstream of the cats.
Im sure once you replace the pipe (or tape it temporarily) within a few cold-hot drive cycles the MIL will extinguish.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbrothalee
I am Referring to BUCKMR2' fix! Take off the plastic engine cover and replace the intake hose. The cut in mine was almost exactly 3 inches! Crazy! Oh, thanks
BUCKMR2!

Sorry for the double post, I'm new here!
Hi Guys,

I had the same issue of the 'Engine Management' Light coming on, then the 'Cruise not Activated' warning showing, with the amber light under the speedo.

The amber light and Cruise text would disappear once I'd driven a while - and if I drove past 3,000 RPM, it would judder like when hitting the rev limiter.

I looked up the issue on this site and cross referenced it to some other sites and narrowed it down to the PCV hose as the likely issue.

I lifted the bonnet with the engine running and heard a hissing sound - which I located as being right near the PCV hose. I turned off the engine and removed the plastic engine cover - checked the hose and it was intact.

I realised that the end of the hose that runs into the cast metal area at the bulkhead end (?manifold / injectors) had pulled away from the metal flange which had a rubber 'collar' around it, so was not giving a good seal (mine was the hose that had no jubilee clip at this end of the hose, and was just a push-fit onto the metal.

I resecured this, by stretching the end of the hose back over the rubber 'collar' and pushed it all back over the metal pipe/flange bit sticking out from the cast metal (sorry, my mechanical terminology isn't great).

The Cruise Not Active warning never came back on again - but the Engine Management light stayed on...

I was going to go to a mechanic, to get this reset - but recalled the info about the light self-exstinguishing after a five starts. I turned it over five times and it stayed on...

But, I drove it properly about 3 times over the next day - and the light has now gone out!

I reckon I've saved myself about £100-200 in diagnostic and 'repair' work (when all they needed to do was push a hose back on).

Thanks to BuckMR2 and all the others, for the advice in this thread. I hope my own contribution will help someone else to confirm this problem if they get it...

Steve.

The following users liked this post:
BuckMR2 (04-17-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have all the same issues its code P1314 as per Discount auto, I'm still searching for the bad line though, anyone got a picture of all vacuume lines, I search and can't find one

Quick Reply: cruise control & jerking