X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crusie Not available & Oil In Spark Plug Hole

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crusie Not available & Oil In Spark Plug Hole

Hi Guys/Gals just recently I have been getting message on the speedometer "cruise not available" and notice when that comes on the car feels like it is losing power. I shift the car into 4th gear or at time 5th and after about a min or so the car works normal. I have seen post about a Vaccum Hose might have a tear in it or so but no one seems to say where the hose is located. Also a little bit of oil got in to the spark plugs and im in the procces of cahngeimng them out along with the gasket seals and ignition coils. If anyone has any advice for me on how to correct the problems that I am facing it would be greatly appriciated. I have a 2002 X-type 3.0 5 Speed. Thank You

Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Aloha. For your problem follow the intake tube from the air box back to the throttlebody. If you look to the left of this big tube, you will see a smaller tube (about the same diameter as your thumb) that is running from the front valve cover to the intake (just down stream of the throttle body. Look on the underside of this tube. This is the PCV tube.

If you are getting the "Cruise Not Available" warning, then you should also be getting a check engine light. Read the codes and let us know what you are getting. If you are getting P0171 or P0174, then you have a vacuum issue. If you are getting P0300 to P0306, then you are getting a misfire on one or more of your cylinders and the number at the end is the cylinder is question. It is possible that the oil has built up enough that it is causing the spark to bypass the plug and go straight to the block via the oil.

If you need more help, let me know. This site will take care of you.

Give the ohana a big hug.

P.S. I lived on Oahu for 3 years. Lived just off of Kam Highway across from the airport.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Aloha. For your problem follow the intake tube from the air box back to the throttlebody. If you look to the left of this big tube, you will see a smaller tube (about the same diameter as your thumb) that is running from the front valve cover to the intake (just down stream of the throttle body. Look on the underside of this tube. This is the PCV tube.

If you are getting the "Cruise Not Available" warning, then you should also be getting a check engine light. Read the codes and let us know what you are getting. If you are getting P0171 or P0174, then you have a vacuum issue. If you are getting P0300 to P0306, then you are getting a misfire on one or more of your cylinders and the number at the end is the cylinder is question. It is possible that the oil has built up enough that it is causing the spark to bypass the plug and go straight to the block via the oil.

If you need more help, let me know. This site will take care of you.

Give the ohana a big hug.

P.S. I lived on Oahu for 3 years. Lived just off of Kam Highway across from the airport.
Cool I will try that and see what's the problem. Thanks for the advice

Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Hi. I have a 2002 jaguar X-type 3.0 and im getting Cruise not Available and check engine light is on. Took it to Autozone and got codes p1111, p0300, p0303 and p0305. When I removed the Manifold and ignition coils, there was a pretty good amount of OILl in the CYLINDERS...I previously replaced ignition coils 3 and 5 a few weeks ago thinking it would resolve the problem and the car ran fine for a few days then the light returned. I saw that you mentioned oil build up and bypassing the spark. What's the cause and do you know of a solution for it?

Thanks in Advance

Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

When I did my plugs last week the back ones were covered in oil. It was the inner gasket on the valve covers letting oil leak into the spark plug well.

First time around I just replaced the upper intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets, coils and plugs, but after putting it all back together it was still giving me cruise not available and lean trouble codes. (In the process I also discovered that the 2.5L gas engine takes the exact same valve cover and intake gaskets as the 3.0L gas engine after all my local parts stores told me that 2.5L gasket sets were not available and I wound up buying the ones for the 3.0)

After getting it all back together it still wasn't running perfect so I started it up and sprayed a little carb cleaner around the top of the motor to see where the vacuum leak was; and when I sprayed down into the valley where the injectors and intake manifold gaskets were it started running real rough. Pulled it all apart again and found that the lower intake manifold gaskets were smashed completely flat and were leaking everywhere. I really should have replaced them when I did the plugs and saved having to do it again. Luckily for me, it all had to come back apart again anyway to replace the knock sensor that was bad and keeping the engine from revving over 3k rpms and after doing it the first time it only took a few more hours to do it again.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Last edited by ltmax; 02-27-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

ddjjones, like the post above mentions, you will need to replace the valve cover gaskets. You have 1 that goes around the outside of the cover where the bolts are and then you will have 3 round rings that go around the plug wells. Fairly straight forward replacement once you get access. The problem may be that you will have to pull the intake off to access the rear valve cover. Not hard, but it will take you 2 or so hours to do.