Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daytime running lights

Hello

Just bought a 04 x-type and need daytime running lights. Can they be programmed to the bcm or do I have to install an aftermarket kit? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: daytime running lights

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey wren and [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with the daytime running lights, but someone who can will no doubt be along shortly.

Jim

Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome wren...what exactly are you wondering or mean by your "running lights"??? Do the running lights not work on the car now? If you were wondering how to turn on the fog lights turn the switch one spot over and pull out on the knob...if you pull it to two clicks you turn on the rear fog lights which are brighter taillights for when its foggy...hopefully this helps...not sure exactly what you want...are you just trying to get the running lights to turn on when you start the car???

Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dealer can activate daytime running lights boss. they dont make much difference in anything, thats why they arent standard anymore on too many cars.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome

Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

WTF??? whats the difference between turning your lights on one click over to the daytime running lights? You just talking about the lights coming on automatically like all gms??? Funny because most people end up disconnecting the fuse that controls those anyways!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

As I recall, DRL are mandatory in CDN as well lol .I think they're ok

Old 08-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure day time runnin lights are dimmer than your regular lights, idk.
I think my car has somethin like DRl, just orange rectangular lamps that I can turn on.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

DRL is a law in Canada, and a lot of US cars have them as well but far from mandatory. Ususally, the only difference between DRL and just turning the light switch one clickare the lights that actually light up. For most applications DRL uses headlamps only, the light switch turns on everything BUT the headlamps (rear and side lights). Due to the light design and engieneering of the X we also get the "bright" beam, on a much lower setting, illuminated when the single click, or running lights, are on.

Lights that turn themselves on are something completely different. They use a light sensor, usually on the back of the rear view mirror or on the dashboard near the windshield, that turns on your lights as if you clicked them twice when the sunlight is down to a certain point.

I had an suv that had both and I didn't really care for either. Getting around the DRL was as simple as pulling one plug under the dash. 1 minute using a small screwdriver to pry up the automatic light sensor from the dash and 2 seconds to disconnect the wire solved the automatic light issues.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually to get the daytime running lights(canadian running lights) to work on any X type the lighting switch has to be replaced... left of the steering wheel.. it's all in the switch.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 515

Good info Jag genius......
There's a lot of Volvo's over here have them, and I had the option on my Saab 93 ( no thanks not for me )
Like everythin else...all a matter of taste, well, unless its law...lol

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah gm have it....like I said everyone just wants to take the fuse out to not have them turn on! I know I took my fuse out on my 97 monte carlo that had them...why not just turn the freaking lights on when you get in and out??? Seems it would be easier to me! Actually come to think of it my lights in my escape if I leave the switch on the lights shut off automatically usually within 20 seconds of shutting the car off...but hey you want to waste money on drl more power to you I guess...I'd rather buy a set of hids with the money I'd imagine that would cost and than just turn my lights on myself!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 517

I'm the same Aquill.........no DRL for me thanks.
Although I have really gotten used to the automatic lights......love em. I have a 30 sec delay on mine but it can be set anytime from 10 secs to 1 min.
I just love the way you're drivin in brilliant sunshine ( not very often over here ) then go into a tunnel and your lights just come on, then go off once back in daylight......such a cool feature

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Exactly! I like the fact that I can be sooo lazy as well and not have to worry about it just let the car do the work!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 517

ORIGINAL: aquill1
Exactly! I like the fact that I can be sooo lazy as well and not have to worry about it just let the car do the work!
Me too...lol
Its one of the reasons I'm leaning more towards the Auto boxes.....must be the American in me trying to get out

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the help. will look into a switch tomorrow. Federal law in Kanada requires all vehicles imported into Kanada built after Dec 31 1995 tobe equipped with daytime running lights(DRL). They differ from automatic lights or light sentry because they come on after the vehicle gets a signal from the vss that the vehicle is moving or a signal from the prndl switch that the vehicle has been put in gear. They also usually use the high beams at reduced voltage. They do not turn on the tail lights or dash lights. Turning on the dash lights would dim the navigation screen automatically which would make it useless during daylight hours. Slightly depressing the park brake also usually disables them.

Thanks Wren

Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 512

Good luck Wren.......hope you get it sorted.
Please come back and fill us in as to how you got on.......

Cheers

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Well wren why don't you just try taping the sensor for the automatic lights and than the lights will come on! Than once passed inspection you can just wrip the tape off and not have to worry about the glare on the dimmed navi. screen...just an idea! Good luck if you don't try that! Let us know what you did, how you did it and how much when you get a chance!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Just got new Canadian headlight switch which gave me Dytime Running Lights. Unfortunately the switch I got from local Jaguar dealer doesn't have the Auto position. Dealer tells me this is not available in Canada because of the DTR feature. Anyone know if this is fact the case. Sure would like to have the Auto feature back!

Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure haven't really heard of this kind of problem...I'd just figure out how to wire the running lights into the auto part of the auto switch...sucks they have you a non auto one...sure somebody knows what each color of each wire goes too??? Maybe not though...

Quick Reply: daytime running lights