X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defroster can't keep up

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Defroster can't keep up

I am having a hard time clearing the accumulation of excess moisture from the windshield and especially the side windows. Outside temperature is plus or minus freezing range. Driving time is up to one hour and the windows are wet. It's like there is a humidifier running in the cabin. I have replaced the cabin filter. There is no smell of coolant indicating a leaking heater core. I have to leave the sun roof partial open to clear the moisture. I recall another member had the same problem some time ago but can't find the thread.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Is this the Blend Actuator Door issue? If so, here's the link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-foggy-30889/

The TSB is in post #3

Graham

Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Is this the Blend Actuator Door issue? If so, here's the link:

The TSB is in post #3

Graham
Thank you Graham, will give the door a kick. Cheers

Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

JagXster, before you do the deed, poke around the X-Type forum here with the Search tool and read up on the different adhesives that people have used.

I don't offhand remember which was deemed most successful for the purpose (JB Weld?), but I do seem to remember that the Super Glue as specified in the TSB isn't necessarily the best one.

Hey - if you're giving yourself a nice new digital camera for Christmas, maybe snap a bunch of photos of the process if you can, too! The fogging windows are a constant forum item, and a "How to" or DIY tutorial would be ever so nice.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
JagXster, before you do the deed, poke around the X-Type forum here with the Search tool and read up on the different adhesives that people have used.

I don't offhand remember which was deemed most successful for the purpose (JB Weld?), but I do seem to remember that the Super Glue as specified in the TSB isn't necessarily the best one.

Hey - if you're giving yourself a nice new digital camera for Christmas, maybe snap a bunch of photos of the process if you can, too! The fogging windows are a constant forum item, and a "How to" or DIY tutorial would be ever so nice.
Ok Bruce, I'll take lots of photos to post the procedure. I don't trust super glue. Will prolly use jb weld. In Naples Fla right now on vacation. First on my list when I return.

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (12-19-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 PM

After spending 4 hours R&R ing the door actuator, which was a royal pita, I think the job was successul. You will definately require an offset hex tool and a lot of patience to romove the screws from the actuator and the stepper motor. After a 20 minute drive in 32 ish tempratures, the windows stayed clear. Tomorow will be a true test with four people in the car during an hour 1/2 trip.

I used the PDF file from this thread:

It is descriptive and the illustrations were adequate, hence the lack of photographs, sorry, I have slr camera/computer link issues right now. The attached photo of the actuator is from my pos blackberry.

I honesty don't know why this mod is necessary. Are the Jag actuators defective and the door must be locked open ? In the photo you can see that the shaft was not lined up to the engraved notches.

Attached Thumbnails Defroster can't keep up-img-20121221-00151.jpg