Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delema with the rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Delema with the rims

Just got he car back today, so happy, get home walk around. And i find the hideous steel wheel. So the mechanic said the rim cannot be fixed, and i have a few options. Ehtier A move upt to aftermarket. Forking out money. Or B just find a replacment. Whats you guys take.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

If you like the rims you have, then buy that one wheel. If you don't like the rims, then cough up the money and now you have a reason to get some different rims. The real question is how much are you willing to spend to keep the same rims you have in relation to how much are you willing to spend on the new rims.

Make a decision and don't look back. You will always question why you made the decision you did. What is done, is done.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Disco, sorry to hear that. I know your ride was out of commission for a while now and I bet you were anxious to get it back PERFECT. I am guessing if you did get aftermarket rims you would go bigger than stock. If I remember pictures of your car you have the 16" wheels, right? So, then if you would go bigger then you would have to buy new tires in addition to the wheels ading more money to the equation. If you were happy with your current rims and the other three are in good shape I would just get another stock one. One of those stock type wheels would be about $100 or less for a refinished one. Like Thermo says, how much are you comfortable spending for this. Probably be close to $1000 or more for bigger wheels and tires vs. less than $100 for a refinished one/

I'm surprised they didn't mention the wheel couldn't be fixed when it was first in the shop.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

yeah, plus our winters up here are brutal on our cars and rims, so new ones might be bad idea, since ill have to ethier buy another one to keep them looking cleaning or use the steel ones, but the car drives like a dream, better then before. Plus, i could always get he stock ones painted. Thanxalfa, never thought about rubber, just completely flew out my mind. Where the best place online to get a used/refurbished rim, becuase I AM NOT PAYING the 664 the dealer wants.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Disco, look on E-bay, you can sometimes find them there. Next, check out http://www.waltandverns.com. They are a used car recycler in Washington State. I have used them and were very happy with them. IF they don't have what you are after, they will tell you where you can get it. They will ship the part to you too. You can also check out I believe the site is http://www.car-parts.com. They are a nationwide recycler. Finally, while it is a dealer, check out http://www.jaguarparts.com. They have really good prices and while it will be a new rim, you can be garanteed to get the exact part you need the first time.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Disco,if you do a search you will come up with a ton of places. I can't remember where I bought my refinished wheel from (if I find it I will PM you), but I was very satisfied. One thing I do remember is a lot of those sites seem to be the same place, but under different names. You might even consider buying two. In your size and style they are not that expensive. That way if you currently have one with some scuffs or nicks that is still good, but isn't the best looking you could have a spare. Then you could always get that "extra" one refinished, maybe even locally, for not too much and then if you ever dent a wheel you would be ready.

Must be nice to get teh car back. Must feel like you are driving a new car. That is one of the things that's cool after driving a loaner or someone else's car for a few days. When you fisrt get back into yours it's like it felt the first time you drove it.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Alritght thanx guys. And yeah it does alfa, i remer yesterday getting in it and smiling. and then i drove off to work and i just smiled the whole way there.

There is one or two probelms though. When i got it back, i guess the mechanic's must have been covered in mud becuase theres mud byt he door handles, thats dried on, and on parts of the dash. Il just give it a good detailing when the gunk off the streets has dried up.

Probelm number two: I noticed yesterday that the arch line has a massive hole in it, probamly could arnold schwarznegar's arm through, anybody got a spare liying around lol, i really don't wabnt to fork up the 265 for another one again.