X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The design future of X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The design future of X-Type

As unlikely as it is, if Jaguar does replace the X-Type with a new one after the current
production run, I wonder what it might look like.

Jaguars are some of the very few out there that have continued an "organic" and streamlined
design philosophy, along with some Italians. If they do decide to replace the X-Type with a
similar entry level sport/luxury model and not withdraw from the segment entirely after 2010,
I'm afraid the signs aren't very clear about where Jaguar design is heading.

The new XK, as curvaceous and streamlined as it is, is less so compared to the XK8 it replaces. The
XK8 immediately said "Jaguar" when one looked; the new XK, as interesting as it is, is a bit diluted
by my taste.
The C-XF concept that's supposed to be the first look into the new S-Type is also a more streamlined
and flowing design compared to the likes of newest Audis or -certainly-BMW's, but there are some troubling
trends: look at that grille. I'm not in any way a supporter of the oval grille, but the new one is Audiesque in its
size and rectangular, "big nose" style. It does not rhyme with the rest of the car at all. Of course, one
needs to see these things in person to be sure; photographs don't tell the whole story.

Callum says Jaguar needs to look at the future and not do retro
again and again, which is fine, but is the future full or angular, brutish "in your face" designs?
I for one do not like that possibility. There has to be a way to do organic design without doing retro or
Taurus-like no-edges, no character designs. I mean look at the Alfas; they manage to keep
identity intact while still being curvaceous and aggressive. Can you imagine something like a Cadillac CTS being
the design template for Jaguar?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: The design future of X-Type

I completely agree. As nice as I think the new XK looks, it resembles an Aston Martin more than it does a Jaguar. Also, the C-XF looks like the new Lexus(GS or IS but I'm not sure) more than a Jaguar as well. Now what about the #1 thing that distiguishes even the 1930's Jaguars from all other cars.

How can Jaguar discontinue putting the most distinguishable part of a Jag and put a badge in its place that as elegant as it is, it doesn't scream Jag? I don't hate the new badges, but they're not to my likeing! I hope that Jaguar fixes they're new found hate for the Jaguar tradition!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights7.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  4.6 KB

So true...........I've seen a few of them over here and immediately (every time) mistook them for Aston Martins, They are a gorgeous looking car but they don't say Jaguar!
Jim

Old 03-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't like 'old style' either most fave designed Jags everare XJ40 and X300. For '07 years , I would go with X Type.It's a great combination of how a classical and modern car should be looking.
X308 hate to say but looks a stretched Serie II

Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i had the bucks i would rather buy the XKR than an aston. But as stated you can never mistake a jag of anything else untill now with the designer of aston doing the XK, and the concept car. i really am scared about the future of Jaguar. Only time will tell.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well we will all see what happens once aston martin isn't connected as closely to jag now that ford is selling/sold most of its stake in the cars. I guess ford will still have involvement in aston but well see. I like the new jags but I do agree that more of the classic jaguar look needs to be incorporated into the look. At least the leaper bonnet on the hood! I do love though how the hood swoops over the headlight the whole way up.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think the new XF looks amazing. Just look at the other cars in the segment. The new e-class is all squared off. The new A6 refresh squared off the rear of the car compared to the pre-refresh design. The new 5-series will probably follow that trend. And then you have the XK, which is a flowing, coupe-looking, design with curves. None of the others are like that (minus the CLS i guess) and it immediately makes the car stand apart.

And I still think it looks like a traditional jag since in profile it does still have a similar silhouette.

Now time to see how the new XJ looks.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I agreee, they should not have gotton rid of the leaper ornament, thats one of the main reason i get behind the wheel of my x type, and smile as i drive by people or by myself ( not being gay or anything). I like the way the cars look ( old one) but as many people said, if it aint broke, don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with the old design, if they worked on power/ fuel effeincy, and cleaning up the looks, and reliability record, more people would buy it. Persoanlly before i got my x type, i looked at reviews and i thought it was a pievce junk, blu**** horsepoer ( got the 2.5) not low enough to the ground, **** for custimizing. But when i test drove it, wow, i was impresssed. That guy has a good point, don't let these over payed test drivers ( what we can only dream to do as a job) let the thought of discovery of a car be clouded by designers names/ prevous projects. And hey, we can all custimze, i saw the xf on the road, it look weird fromt he back, but then i saw the xk and it looked like a demon pulling out of the night. Im just saying, before making judgement ( i likke the old look my self) get in and take a ride, screw the critics.