X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did anyone have to work on struts on jag?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default did anyone have to work on struts on jag?

after going to bunch of shops, sears told me that my all struts needed to replace them and gave me bill of 1600 dollar job plus 700 dollar replace tires,

now when i am on highway and when i press brakes steering wheel shakes little bit, not on regular road, and i already posted one thread about making my car noise when i am on highway like wooOOO, wooOO, and getting louder and louder everytime i speed up

so what else are the symptons that could say that i needed them replaced?

thanks

Mike

Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Blistien shocks for the rear cost me $200 for the pair shipped. They aren't hard to replace yourself but takes a little time as access is tight. Front struts are about $125 a piece and require a little more, spring compressor, tough to get out of the knuckle, etc. You can do it yourself but you would stil need to find a garage to do an alignment after it. I'd say a real garage (not a chain rip of garage would want roughly $800-1000 to replace everything) If your paying to have it done I would also have your mounts replaced and your sway bar rubber replaced while their at it.

As for your braking shuttering. That sounds like warped rotors but could be loose lugs, a bad tie rod end etc. Honestly, I wouldn't take any vehicle I liked to Sears, Monroe, Firestone, etc. Find yourself a real garage, develop a rapor with them and in the long run you'll be much happier, your wallet will be heavier and your car will run better.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 PM

i am thinking about doing it my self, but what were your symptons for to do that?

my car makes little woo woo noise when i get on highway so i got it checked out at different shops and they told me different things and last sears told me that,

i just want to get a right ideal what causing that noise, and if it is serious and if i don't take care of it then something big will happens.

here is what everyother shop has to say:

jaguar dealer ship: need 4 new wheels and alighment
NTB: they checked it and they couldn't find anything so they said your
berring might be off and needed new one.
Wallmart: went for oil change, guy was nice and said u don't need oil
change (saved me 55 dollars) and asked him about the noise
he said it might my driver shaft ( cars runs in straight direction)
Firestone: my wheels are cuped and needed them to replace and also get
alignment done
Sears: he pused car down from side of the passager door and told me
my cars is bouncing too much, and my wheels are cuped so
struts needs to be done and need 4 new tires and get alignment
done

now next stop is any local dealer and see what he has to say....

thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i find it hard to believe that all four dampers need replacing ,check for a warped front disc or worn track rod end,if you are going to change the struts remenber the car has to be on the ground before you tighten the bolts,

Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Maikal, if the steering wheel is only wobbling when you are applying the brakes, then that is a sign that one (or both) of your front rotors is warped. Depending on the condition of the rotors and how early you are catching this, may be able to simply get the rotors turned else you will end up buying new rotors.

Now, if the steering wheel wobbles as you are driving down the road (brakes not applied), that is a different issue all together.

Based on what you are saying, your struts probably are worn and will need to be replaced in the future. But, unless you are really cornering hard a lot of the time, they are not likely to be the source of your tire problems. I would venture to guess it is more an alignment issue than anything. The alignment on our cars is easy to get out of whack, especially in the rear. I wish you lived closer to me as i would tell you to come on over and we would do the work right in my driveway and save you a ton on labor. But, that is not the case.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 PM

thanks mate, that's very kind,

i am sorry i forgot to told you about this but my dealer also recommended me to replace my rear rotors and pads and also fuel filter too, and i already ordered them and they are on their way here, i am getting them done this week and take it to highway ride with camera and also will record other stuff and see what u guys see that other idiots dealers don't

i might take it ride for tomorrow and record it and post link here