X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a TC lube change today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did a TC lube change today.

I got Bill's kit to change the TC fluid which made the job very easy, all I needed was to just buy the lube. Well, as expected, my TC was pretty much dry and my car is a 2003 with just 35k miles. I didn't really expect the lube to be this low since I had no noises, no vibrations...nothing at all to indicate a problem. Here are some pictures I took of the stuff that came out:

Sorry for the picture quality, I only had my phone with me...and I think that is a 48 ounce bottle...very small.

The car now feels a bit more responsive...tomorrow I will change the fluid again to get all the nasty stuff out. I'm just glad I decided to check even though my car has pretty low mileage. And anyone looking to make this job easy should contact Bill to get a kit at wbeau@yahoo.com

Last edited by Carwatcher; 06-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in st louis mo.. how can i get a hold of Bill's Kit ? I too need to change out my fluids..

Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 PM

email him at wbeau@yahoo.com

Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the kit include and how much?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mike05X
What does the kit include and how much?

I think i paid $129 for the kit...it comes with everything you need...valve, plug, pump, etc.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Quick question, I think I might have overfilled the TC because I saw a few drops of TC fluid on the floor this morning but they seemed to come from the passenger side of the TC...is that where the vent is located? It was just a few drops, not much. The drain valve/hole was dry, so it did not come from there.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

carwatcher, when the TC is bone dry on initial build, it requires 600 ml of lube to be added. If you are doing a fluid change out, then you should only add 550 ml of fluid. If you overfilled it, it will come out the vent which is on the passenger side. I would not worry about it unless it gets on the exhaust pipe, then I would simply rinse it off and call it good. Not that big of a deal.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
carwatcher, when the TC is bone dry on initial build, it requires 600 ml of lube to be added. If you are doing a fluid change out, then you should only add 550 ml of fluid. If you overfilled it, it will come out the vent which is on the passenger side. I would not worry about it unless it gets on the exhaust pipe, then I would simply rinse it off and call it good. Not that big of a deal.
Well, the first time I put new fluid in(what came out is in the pictures above), I pumped about 400 ml and got no leakage from the vent. The next day I did another change but pumped about 500 ml because I had some problems with my pump and didn't want to flush the oil I had just put in. That was the night I got the spill on the passenger side of the TC, so I'm guessing I pumped about 100 ml more than I should've.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM

For how long should the lube come out of the vent? Every time I get on the freeway(about 5 times since I changed the lube) and go over 80-90 mph, I get some spillage from the vent. I'm getting tired of lifting the car and cleaning the lube from the exhaust pipe. The drain plug is not leaking at all, so it has to be from the vent since it comes out of the passenger side and straight into the exhaust pipe. Did I overfill it that much?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Carwatcher
For how long should the lube come out of the vent? Every time I get on the freeway(about 5 times since I changed the lube) and go over 80-90 mph, I get some spillage from the vent. I'm getting tired of lifting the car and cleaning the lube from the exhaust pipe. The drain plug is not leaking at all, so it has to be from the vent since it comes out of the passenger side and straight into the exhaust pipe. Did I overfill it that much?
Probably, there was another guy who put in too much, it just kept weeping until he pulled out some. How much did you add initially?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Carwatcher, the time it will leak out of the vent is dependent on how much you overfilled. I personally would not worry about it. I know mine took about 2 months to finally stop leaking out of the vent, but I do mainly highway driving and the smell didn't get into the cab of the car for me. I would only smell it when I got out of the car after a drive.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Probably, there was another guy who put in too much, it just kept weeping until he pulled out some. How much did you add initially?
About 500 ml.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Carwatcher, the time it will leak out of the vent is dependent on how much you overfilled. I personally would not worry about it. I know mine took about 2 months to finally stop leaking out of the vent, but I do mainly highway driving and the smell didn't get into the cab of the car for me. I would only smell it when I got out of the car after a drive.
The smell is not bad, I only smell it when I get off the freeway and sit at a stop light but it goes away quick. Well, at least it's better than wondering if the TC is empty.