X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel power steering pump renewal

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Diesel power steering pump renewal

Hi guys, I was on the motorway last week when my heater started to turn cold, from experience its usually a leak in the cooling system when something like this happens, but after a few minutes it went back to normal, and the car remained at a normal temperature. I parked it up for a couple of hours then got back on the motorway and then the engine went hot, I quickly pulled into the hard shoulder and checked under the bonnet to find there was no coolant in the car at all. I limped to a local filling station and put water in, and it immediately charged the system and the engine went back to a normal temperature, when I got home I looked under the bonnet again and saw coolant dripping from the bottom of the power steering pump. On checking the tinterweb it seems they have a habit of breaking, although the steering is working perfectly. This is where I need your help, I took the pump off to find it had no gasket between the housing and the pump aperture, after talking to a local jag main dealer the verdict was to just replace the pump, but I'm unsure if there should be a gasket between these. Can anybody shed any light if I need to put gasket between on the rebuild?

Old 12-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Maybe someone can clue me in, but I see no connection between the power steering pump and a coolant leak on your car. Are you sure you're not referring to the water pump? In my SNG Barratt parts catalog I see a gasket JD61172 pictured between water pump and engine block.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by swingwing
Maybe someone can clue me in, but I see no connection between the power steering pump and a coolant leak on your car. Are you sure you're not referring to the water pump? In my SNG Barratt parts catalog I see a gasket JD61172 pictured between water pump and engine block.
Hi Swingwing, It threw me to at first, the steering pump on the UK diesel engine is on the opposite side to the water pump and has a strange junction where the oil pipes come around the engine block and into the top of the pump, but the radiator hoses connect at a junction behind the pump that is part of the same housing. I've attached some pictures

The join where the pump sits this is where I'm not sure if a gasket should be

This would be on the driver side of a US car above the gear box

Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the pictures. To answer your original question I've looked at the diagram in SNG Barratt's parts catalog. It shows no gasket between the PS pump and the block. Are there any coolant hoses and/or connections above or near the PS pump? I'd get a coolant pressure tester to see where the leak is. Another way might be to run the engine with car static and look for the leak. As steering not needed you wouldn't need to hook the lines back up.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:59 AM

There's only the hoses that go to the connection at the back of the fitting. Nothing over it really, you can see on the first picture some water dripping out of the housing presently. If there's no gasket listed that would explain why I couldn't find one. I'm going to run and flush both systems anyway while I've now got them off, been meaning to do them but now I have no excuse not to. The new pump has finally arrived so Ill be fitting it tomorrow fingers crossed.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:32 AM

I wish you good luck. I've had my 3.0L petrol only seven months, so have no experience with the diesel engine (don't think that engine came to US anyway). Keep posting as many here would like to know how the fix goes. I do see the coolant in your first picture. Do you think the shaft seal could be worn, allowing coolant to seep through?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:02 PM

Its basically a Ford Mondeo 2.2d engine they threw into the X Type, its not a bad engine great economy but mine has got 120K on the clock so its beginning to need lots of TLC. I have a concern on the pump, looking at the images you can see at the bottom of the pump there is some sort of drain hole. and on the housing it connects to there doesn't seem to be anything to plug or stop the water coming out of here. There is an o ring that fits over the drive spline but I presume this will only prevent oil and water mixing, so what is there to stop the water coming out of the bottom? I cant envisage you block the water coming into the pump, or what would be the point of having the water there in the first place, this one is puzzling me.

You can see the hole built into the bottom of the pump, that's a UK Pizza box by the way..

you can see the hole that alows the water to circulate where the sludge is

Old 12-21-2016, 02:54 PM

Went to my Haynes manual and now I understand: The PS pump and water pump are mounted side-by-side, driven by the belt off the camshaft! I was trying to understand where that yellow sludge (mix of coolant and PS fluid) came from. So if you've got a coolant leak then I'm guessing water pump replacement is the answer.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Is the housing behind the power steering pump with the junction of the radiator and filling tank a pump housing, with another water pump in it? I haven't got a manual for the car.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 PM

I went to SNG Barratt's website to get some pictures. First two pics are front and back of water pump C2S48033. Third pic is the PS pump C2S48682. Hope these help. The PS pump is mounted piggyback on the water pump - or vice versa if you like. I think your water pump's shaft seal is shot, thereby allowing coolant to leak through where PS pump mates to the water pump. That's why there's no gasket between the two. That gap needs to be there on purpose (on this and other water pumps) - to tell us there's a worn seal! I think the advice you were given to replace the water pump is correct.

Attached Thumbnails Diesel power steering pump renewal-diesel-wp.jpg   Diesel power steering pump renewal-diesel-wp1.jpg   Diesel power steering pump renewal-diesel-ps-pump.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 12-21-2016 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:14 AM

Thanks for that, it does look that way, I've got the water pump off now and it does look as if the seal is shot from the front, I'm struggling to get a bolt off the plastic back as the splines have been stripped out from who ever put it in before. I'm going to look to see if the replacement comes with the plastic backing on or you have to swap them. Thanks for your help on this ;-)

Old 12-22-2016, 07:33 AM

The water pump will come assembled as pictured. Plug and Play.