Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distance of remote entry

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: distance of remote entry

I assumed you have an X Type when posting the message as soon as I wrote that I sawthat you sig verifies that lol
So, I don't know if it counts for your car but you should locate and hold the remote fob up to your ears and press the buttons . This works in other brands .
There is also another thing but requires a technical work . So you will open the trunk and find the RKE module and some wiring job .

Old 09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

This procedure is for GM cars as I said I haven't the faintest idea if it will work but at least it should give you an idea .
Eric Woster used the following steps to extend the range of the RCDLR: Based on a frequency of about 315 Megahertz, a quarter wave antenna length will be about 240mm or 9.5inches. You need to make a close coupled loop that matches the internal antenna loop dimensions with two quarter wave tails on the ends of the loop. In this way the extra antenna is outside of the RCDLR box. The RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) module is located in the rear package shelf (rear deck). You'll need to undo the two plastic clips (squeeze and push back through the holes). You may have to remove the rear package shelf carpet and padding that is above the RCDLR.

Find a thin piece of stiff cardboard and cut a rectangle the size of the front surface of the RCDLR.
Glue (don't staple) a single 360' loop of braided 20AWG wire to the board with long ends. The ends should hang off of the cardboard by at least a foot.
Snip the ends of both wires to make them extend from the edge of the cardboard by 9 to 9.5 inches.
After the glue has dried, pull the back of the back seat out, lift the back package shelf carpet up just a little, and secure the carboard loop to the front of the RCDLR with tape or double-sided tape, and let the wire ends hang off at the top. The wire ends can be streched out and taped down or just held in place by the package shelf.
Reassemble.
This should nearly triple the range to the rear of the vehicle.
[ol][/ol]
A longer antenna won't help without some fancy ground plane effects and ugly designs. Running the antenna somewhere else will increase the antenna length unless a coaxial cable is used.

Good luck

Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

On X-types the remotes communicate with the GEMS module located in the right side lower kick panel. If your X-type is a 2002 early one, there was a recall for the GEMS to be replaced - this was for the turn signals but side effect was the remotes work better. Anyway, the antenna wire I believe without loking at schematic runs up into the right side A-pillar. We have had some with remotes working only close and found voltage isues to the Gems.