X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handle Stuck. My car Hates Me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door handle Stuck. My car Hates Me.

I think my car hates me. I just got it car back from the dealership last week after the wiring was redone. The exclamation point light came on a couple of days later. I restarted it and the light went off. The next day, the light came on again. Restarted it again and it went away. The light didn't come on today, but when I went to get in it after work, the driver's door handle wouldn't work. Seriously. The car's screwing with me. The other doors all opened, but not the driver's door. I ended up getting in the passenger side and climbing across.

The door opens just fine from the inside. I got home and tried the door a few times from the outside. It opened at first but then wouldn't. I'm sure I'll be climbing across again in the morning.

So, the question is, how do I fix the door handle? Is there a trick to it or do I just need to replace it? I've never liked pull up handles but that's what she's got. I've had a bad feeling about that handle for the last couple of weeks but I didn't actually have trouble with it. Until today.

Thank you!

Last edited by baycliffpwds; 09-30-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, common problem on some of the earlier X types although I woulda thought an 04 would be ok.
If memory serves its a linkage problem and not serious
You might find in the meantime if you place your thumb on the middle of the handle and physically try to lift the handle while applying pressure where your thumb is it may open a little easier until you get it fixed.
Check out the X type FAQ quick link and you will see a thread devoted to the "door card removal" in the first instance.
I'm positive that ther eis also at least one, maybe more on the door handle problem and relevant fixes.
Sorry, normally I would include the link but am pushed for time.
Good luck

Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Thanks, Jim! I'll go through the FAQs.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

its common and nothing has ever changed. Take it to your ex. pull the door panel off. With the window up grab and move the outer door handle. Youll see a rod actuate the latch and is clamped into a grey and white rectangular holder. Pull the white lock out to free the threaded rod. Now what you want to do is preload the lock. push it down maybe 3-4 threads and then lock it back. This will preload the latch movement so that you dont have to pull up much to open. Over time the rod gets pushed down in the plastic lock more and more till you cant open the door anymore.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Thank you both so much! I tried the thumb in the middle trick and it works every time.

I'll ask David to take care of the door, too, Brutal. Thanks for the info.

She gets an oil change and a nice bath tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Jo, you seem to adore her and she is just isn't giving back. Brutal and Jim are spot on with the door handle advice above. Even a bit of a push in on the door just before you pull up on the handle will help 'til David can have a look.

PS I gotta say it's nice to have an ex that comes to your aid when your kitty isn't behaving.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im picking up my new 02 X-Type today, rather than yesterday because I discovered this very problem.

I would lock the car, then unlock the car and couldnt open the door. If I went in the other side, opened the door, it would be ok, until I locked it again, then it wouldnt open.

The dealer I am buying it from said that Jaguar said its a common issue and they actually sell a "kit" to fix both doors.

So Im getting it done for nothing, but I dont think its that expensive.

Not sure if that is the same issue you were having, but wanted to give you the heads up that Jag sells a "kit" for a repair.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

theres no KIT to fix this. you put in new clips if you want to. But even that isnt needed. They were blowing smoke making you feel that its now permanently fixed. If the latch is not slightly preloaded, it will do it again with time, cause the handle wont open the door till its almost at its full range of travel. It doesnt take much to push that rod down a click and have the door not open again. By preloading the latch, the handle will open the door much sooner before the handle is all the way up. Just depends on where you set it. Check it before you reinstall the panel to see if youre happy with where you set it. No need to close the door while you have the door panel off. Just latch the latch with a screw driver or something to latch it on the side of the door then pull up the handle to see if youre happy with where you set the handle to open the door at.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM

I have to say I'm surprised this is even a problem considering it IS a Jaguar. For the price tag on a new one, and the fact that they've been making them for soooo many years, you'd think they'd have worked these kinks out.

I do adore my car, but I've almost considered trading her in for a newer one a few times. She's temperamental. I had a problem fixed, she gave me trouble again and I asked her if she wanted me to sell her to someone who might not care about her; lo and behold, she popped the ! on me and went into limp mode. She behaves for my daughter, though, and sometimes she behaves like my daughter. lol

As for my ex, yeah, he's being nice about it. Go figure.

Last edited by baycliffpwds; 10-02-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I have had this same problem for like 2 years now. I have to quickly jerk the handle all the way up to open my front door. My question is after fixing the preload mechanism, how do i replace the sound deadening material covering the whole door? Do I have to purchase the special glue and another pad since the old one is all ripped up?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by roblox84
I know this is an old thread but I have had this same problem for like 2 years now. I have to quickly jerk the handle all the way up to open my front door. My question is after fixing the preload mechanism, how do i replace the sound deadening material covering the whole door? Do I have to purchase the special glue and another pad since the old one is all ripped up?
Black duct tape?

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 12-17-2011 at 08:10 PM.