X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door wiring

Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door wiring

Ok 05 x-type sport wagon. I want to wire the jaguar logo puddle lights but after purchase learned my car had the reflectors. I want to run wires through the door to the footwell light but I'm not sure how to get it from the door to the inside of the car. Skype tell me how to disconnect the wiring harness that enters the body?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Vandyone, I tend to run aftermarket wiring for speakers into car doors. The best advice that I can tell you is to open the door fully and then remove the rubber boot covering the wire bundle at both ends. You can then use a long/thin screw driver with the wires taped to the end to push the wires through the rubber boot. Scrunching the boot to make it as short as possible tends to help too.

Just to ask the silly question, but have you checked to make sure that the wiring is not there already. Some members have found the wiring there near the puddle light/reflector and all they had to do was install a bulb.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I just stole the power for a recent install of puddle lights from the door courtesy lights.

We switched out his festoon bulb for an LED at the same time, so no issue with too much current being drawn.

I like the way it looked, I'll probably do the sane to mine!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:55 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

When I want run the wire through some tight space, i used the thin stripe of metal from the old wind shield wiper (I kept a bunch of them, it hard but very flex, can bend around the curved conduit ) heat it red hot (if you don't heat it will break) and bend a small loop at the end then thread it through the crack, tie the wire to the loop and pull it back.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Vandyone, I tend to run aftermarket wiring for speakers into car doors. The best advice that I can tell you is to open the door fully and then remove the rubber boot covering the wire bundle at both ends. You can then use a long/thin screw driver with the wires taped to the end to push the wires through the rubber boot. Scrunching the boot to make it as short as possible tends to help too.
Hi Chris, I am thinking to run new speaker wire for my stereo amp, have you done this on your X-Type? I haven't read anyone else doing this (I've read about almost everything else involving stereo installs just not new speaker wire), is it difficult? I should pay someone to do it?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo

Just to ask the silly question, but have you checked to make sure that the wiring is not there already. Some members have found the wiring there near the puddle light/reflector and all they had to do was install a bulb.

No wiring there. I'm more concerned with the plastic dial looking things. Idk if I'm to turn them and pull asks I'm cautious about tampering with them Because I'm afraid they will crack or something I want to make sure I can put everything back the way it was.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
When I want run the wire through some tight space, i used the thin stripe of metal from the old wind shield wiper (I kept a bunch of them, it hard but very flex, can bend around the curved conduit ) heat it red hot (if you don't heat it will break) and bend a small loop at the end then thread it through the crack, tie the wire to the loop and pull it back.
good idea

Old 06-24-2017, 02:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jag4, I didn't do something like this on my jag, but I have done a lot of other vehicles. The big trick I have found is moving the boot around enough that you can get a straight shot through the boot. You get that done, the wiring is easy to pull. Re-seating the boot around the wiring is easy. Like I mentioned, using a long, slender screw driver or something similar is what I normally use and I tape the speaker wire to the end of the screw driver and push it through the boot till the end pokes out the other end of the boot. Then I remove the tape and pull the wire through after removing the screw driver.

Vandy, I can't help you there. My car had the door lights, so, I never had to play with them other than replacing a bulb.