Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Door Lock / handle issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Drivers Door Lock / handle issue

Hi All,

OK *finally* I got the chance to look at an issue which was intermittent, and has now become a fulltime issue.. the outside door handle not opening the drivers door.

I followed the basics on the FAQ about this.. removed the door inner, then the folded the liner back. I found the fastenings for the metal channelling that fits over the handle - lock linkages, removed them and managed to ease it out with a bit of metal adjusting :-) to get to see the lock mechanism and the link that everyone talks about.

However in my case if I adjust the bar any further through the block the handle does not go flush with the door panel when released - so that is not the issue. I have however found that if the handle is lifted fully at a speed then after about 1/2 a second the door lock releases and I can open the door.. noting that this is with the central locking off.. and it can take two goes at lifting the handle to get it to open.

As an aside.. whilst there the inner door release handle was getting tight so I lubricated the cable going from it to the l9ock which has eased that.

It took me a few attempts to get the metal channeling back in place - each time with the window jammed as I found the channeling wasn't as well refitted as needed.

I have lubricated the outside of the lock - the section that goes over the pin in the doorframe and that does seem to be what has moved it back from a permanent fault to a frustrating issue again where it take full movement of the handle at a fast speed and does not always work.

Is it likely now to be the lock mech needs replacing?

I would appreciate *any* thoughts as whilst my little Jag is working perfectly in every other way this is driving me up the wall :-) Many thanks in advance

Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

A few others and me uploaded many, many TSBs to the upload file section.

There was a TSB XT501-28 for the North American market but I don't know if it applies worldwide.

Here it is

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Steve, if you have tried all your adjusting, I would replace the lock actuator. The thing is that the lock actuators have small motors that "actuate" the lock. The problem is that over time the lock actuator loses its lube and gets cold and eventually burns out the motors in the actuator. I had this happen to me and I tried everything and was stumped with my door. I ended up going on ebay or car-part (can't remember) and getting a replacement actuator for about $60 shipped to my door. If the replacement actuator doesn't solve the problem, you can still sell it for more than you bought it from especially if you buy from car-part.com and sell on ebay. Just my two cents.