X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile E Brake Question

My mechanic and I are have a disagreement about the E brake set up on my X. He says there is no cables back from the handle to the ebrakes???? I said that is impossible it has to have a cable. I added that it runs thru a tube to the ebrakes. He just says no, it is set up some other way, but doesn't elaborate. I have a noise in the right side that seems to from the middle of the car to the rear when I hit a ripple type bump on the road. I am thinking it is the ebrake cable in the tube the cable runs thru as I read somewhere on this board that this tube has to be greased now and then. The suspension is OK, shocks, bushings etc and all that are fine. So can someone enlighten me on how the ebrakes are set up. Oh he also says they are self adjusting?????
As always thank you for any help you all can offer.

Live long and prosper!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, he is right about one thing, the e-brake is self adjusting. As for the operation of the e-brake, it is cable driven. If you want to prove it to him, have him remove a rear wheel and then tell him to watch the little lever on the back side of the caliper (the cable comes in over the top of the caliper) and when you engage the e-brake, he will see the lever move. If that don't convince him, then it sounds like you need to find another mechanic because he doesn't know a whole lot about Jags.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Ebrake

Originally Posted by Thermo
Adam, he is right about one thing, the e-brake is self adjusting. As for the operation of the e-brake, it is cable driven. If you want to prove it to him, have him remove a rear wheel and then tell him to watch the little lever on the back side of the caliper (the cable comes in over the top of the caliper) and when you engage the e-brake, he will see the lever move. If that don't convince him, then it sounds like you need to find another mechanic because he doesn't know a whole lot about Jags.
There was a communication error. I gave my son a message as he was having his car fixed by the mechanic and he got it half backwards. Yes, he does know it has a cable, he said he never told Jr it didn't, so Jr got things screwed up. What I want him to do is Lube, spelling my name wrong again, the cable tube as I think the cable is hitting on the tube it is in, and making a banging noise when I hit a bump a certain way. Doesn't bang all the time, just when I hit a raised bump and then only over 25MPH. My mechanic says that makes sense.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, I would make sure that all the supports for the cable are in place. To me it sounds like the cable has popped out of a bracket and causing your thumping. THe cable is under a constant tension, so, for it to thump like I am imagining, that would be a hell of a hit. But, if the whole cable came out of a bracket, then that would cause what you are hearing.

I say you have Jr break out a jack and get under that car and hand over hand the cable. It won't be hard to find if it popped out of a bracket. Putting it back in should be a piece of cake.