X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E3 Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E3 Spark plugs

Hi all. First post here. I have a 2002 X-Type 2.5. I've already learned a lot from this site and am getting ready to change my spark plugs. I've seem some talk about using the stock plugs, but I've heard a lot of great things about the E3 spark plugs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Adam

Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Fancy plugs (ie, the iridium, multiple spark, etc) do not net you any more power. The only "advantage" that they do is give you a lighter wallet. Now, along those same lines, you do need to go with a good platinum plug as this will allow you to extend the plug change intervals out to 100K miles. If you go with a non-platinum plug, you can expect to change the plugs every 30K miles. After doing a plug change, you will gladly pay the extra few dollars for a platinum plug over a conventional plug. Not that changing plugs is difficult, it does take a little bit of time. Money well spent in my book.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Fancy plugs (ie, the iridium, multiple spark, etc) do not net you any more power. The only "advantage" that they do is give you a lighter wallet. Now, along those same lines, you do need to go with a good platinum plug as this will allow you to extend the plug change intervals out to 100K miles. If you go with a non-platinum plug, you can expect to change the plugs every 30K miles. After doing a plug change, you will gladly pay the extra few dollars for a platinum plug over a conventional plug. Not that changing plugs is difficult, it does take a little bit of time. Money well spent in my book.
Thanks. I wasn't really looking for a power increase(although I'd take it) but would love to see some more mpg's.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Veteran member

aiko, well, along those same lines, if you see a gain in mileage after the plugs, that is only because the old plugs were too far worn for the computer to adjust sufficiently. So, it was more a matter of the old plugs not being able to spark adequately than the new plugs being better. The older cars, sure you could get a bigger spark or better mileage with different plugs. Modern day cars, the engineers have already figured that into the design.

The following users liked this post:
aiko670 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 PM

aiko, well, along those same lines, if you see a gain in mileage after the plugs, that is only because the old plugs were too far worn for the computer to adjust sufficiently. So, it was more a matter of the old plugs not being able to spark adequately than the new plugs being better. The older cars, sure you could get a bigger spark or better mileage with different plugs. Modern day cars, the engineers have already figured that into the design.
Thanks, Thermo!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll jump on board with the comment,'There ain't no free ride'. These dual electrode type spark plugs have been around for years. While they are probably an acceptible replacement part, one should pile their claims of increased power, fuel mileage, wealth, free rainbow stew, etc in the same file with the promises made by the makers of the electric turbocharger, miracle oil and fuel additives, and the other 'As seen on TV' (formerly 'As heard on Radio') add ons that didn't perform as advertised.
Nothing beats regular maintenence. Cheers, Andy

Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

All very true. Prior to clean unleaded fuels and modern electronic ignitions (ie. early 70s) plugs needed to be changed at maybe 15K mile intervals to ensure that they fired adequately.

Originally Posted by c.3823
I'll jump on board with the comment,'There ain't no free ride'. These dual electrode type spark plugs have been around for years. While they are probably an acceptible replacement part, one should pile their claims of increased power, fuel mileage, wealth, free rainbow stew, etc in the same file with the promises made by the makers of the electric turbocharger, miracle oil and fuel additives, and the other 'As seen on TV' (formerly 'As heard on Radio') add ons that didn't perform as advertised.
Nothing beats regular maintenence. Cheers, Andy
Yup- absolute snake oil. A spark is a spark is a spark. If a plug is capable of lighting the fire, extra electrodes or exotic materials will make no difference.

Maybe you guys would like to take a guess on how many miles are on these plugs-

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-guess-66672/

Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Mikey, there is some logic to using the platinums over a standard plug. Modern day ignition systems use a much higher voltage for the spark than older cars did. So, this means that the spark is causing more damage to the plugs with each firing. A traditional plug (the $1 Motorcraft plugs) will work in the car, but after about 20-30K miles, the electrodes will have been zapped so many times, that they will start to get a larger gap to them, leading to poor sparking. The platinum plugs are a harder material that resists wearing a lot better from the sparking of a plug. Therefore, they allow a given vehicle to be driven longer without requiring new plugs.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Yes I agree 100%, I was referring only to 'no difference' in the context of increased horsepower or decreased fuel consumption. The shorter life of standard plugs vs. iridium or platinum is exactly as you stated.

Don't want to take a guess on how many miles on the plugs in my link?