Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

elec windows problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default elec windows problem

Hi Guys

Firstly please excuse my lack of visiting - after having my baby for 3 weeks the clutch let go and that, a water pump and a new DMF along with 16 hours of labour i am now cleaned out of cash.

Anyway, i have her back now and one issue that really winding me up is the drivers side windows, front and back!!

Both will only open fully after four presses, the window goes down in steps - then to close, on the eighth pull it goes up only a certain amount UNLESS you don't let it come to a stop.. ie, after pulling the switch back, on the eighth time just tickle it and it will go up in short steps...

I have looked everywhere, i have see where you are supposed to fully close it and hold the switch up for three seconds and then repeat to down but that doesn't work, also, disconnecting the battery, but as its been disconnected for some time whilst they did the work on the car that hasnt obviously worked...

i should add that the pax side is fine!

does anyone have any ideas... i dont think its the switch as its so consistent... but i suppose it could be eh!?

next problem is intermittent reversing sensors and also when they do work they detect something that isn't there... that i think will be easier to solve :-)

Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Lucas, keep in mind that the switches feed the electronic module for the side of the car that is in question. Then the module sends a signal to the window. You can try teaching the module to learn the up and down position, but when you do this, let the switch down easy, don't just let it drop. It may be that the switch centering is worn out and what is happening is the switch is actually able to flip to the other direction and make momentary contact which is causing the computer to get confused. From there, try the one touch feature by letting the switch down easy. If this fixes your problem, then it is the switch assembly itself.

I am having a similar issue with the right hand windows in my car. I just haven't taken the time to troubleshoot them and figure out the issue. I can get them to program in 1 direction, but when I go to program in the other direction, the programming gets lost. A little confusing but I am not too worried about it as I hardly ever roll the windows down on that side of the car and the one that I do, I never roll it down all the way. So, it actually is nice for me. hence why I have been living with it.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Thermo

Nice to hear its not just me :-) i will defo give it a go but its strange that its the same for both front and back - if the calibration had gone i wouldnt have thought that the pax side would loose its programming too????

Not knowing much about what happens when you plug cars in to computers, if i did this (i'd have to take to garage and get them to do it) do you (or anyone else) think it might show the problem?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Lucas, I don't think that the computer is going to show anything as these modules are not really tied to the data network. They are more stand alone units that just have some button inputs to provide a given function. The later year cars there is a bit more interaction with the whole data network, but you and I have too early of cars to get this "upgrade".

Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Windows...Mind of their Own

Hello! My front passenger side window has a mind of its own and my rear, right passenger window does not auto up or down at all. I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot. Good luck!