X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine misfire, 11 codes =(

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine misfire, 11 codes =(

Hello, looking for help. Just bought a jaguar 02 Jaguar x-type, has an engine light with 11 codes. The car runs great, only in the beginning when I start the engine, it idles rough caused by misfiring in all 6 cylinders (PO300-PO306).
As soon as it warms up, idles fine, it also has that loud hissing noise coming somewhere from air intake, like a jet. Which goes away and the car idles fine.
Also got PO171 and PO174.
MattSteele, looks like this member had the same problem, but I can't write him a private message and see how they fixed the problem =(
Thank you.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d.php?p=110557
__________________________________________________ _______
So...funny story - I get to my friends place today to help her fix her X-Type. The only code she'd told me about was the P0057 code, which seemed to point to the O2 sensors. I plug in my OBDII Diagnostic tool to verify the code, and find out that she's actually got 8 (!) different fault codes listed:

P0171 System too lean (Bank 1)
P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0305 Cylinder 5 misfire detected
P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected
P1316 Manufacturer controlled ignition system or misfire
P0057 H20S Bank 2, Sensor 2, Heater Circuit Low
P1111 Manufacturer controlled fuel and air metering
P1000 Manufacturer controlled fuel and air metering and auxilliary emission controls

Oh man! Turns out her check engine light's been on for about 5 months, but she ignored it because the car seemed to be driving fine. When the engine's turned on, I hear a loud hissing sound (like a major air leak) that sounds like it's coming from around the air intake area. After doing a bit of research, I'm thinking she may have a vaccuum leak in that area, which may be triggering some (if not the majority) of the codes above. She's going to take it into the dealership to diagnose the issue next week.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

You've listed 8 of the 11 codes. What are the other 3? May need them for a Tech to help.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The hissing is likely the dreaded vacuum leak. An easy inexpensive fix, I'd do that first, clear the codes and see if any return.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That sound you said sound like a vacuume leak. Also DONT DRIVE IT, vacuum also makes your brake booster work.

Check the PCV hose that comes from the head to the intake. right under that pretty cover right in front of the motor. You gonna have to get if from the dealer cause its a reinforced hose. its only like $15

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Fox
That sound you said sound like a vacuume leak. Also DONT DRIVE IT, vacuum also makes your brake booster work.

Check the PCV hose that comes from the head to the intake. right under that pretty cover right in front of the motor. You gonna have to get if from the dealer cause its a reinforced hose. its only like $15

Good luck.
replaced the PCV hose, that one had two tears in it. I didn't get the dealer one, just cut an aftermarket hose from an auto shop, looked like it fit pretty well =)
Will see tomorrow if the car is still sputtering...
Thank you guys for helping!
Have a quick question:
Does it matter what POWER STEERING FLUID I put in the reservoir, because the cap was leaking, I had to replace it. I just added all purpose power steering fluid.
Thank you.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM

I had a somewhat similar issue (cold Wisconsin winter, would misfire until warmed up 10~ minutes later) - replaced the intake manifold gaskets and now works like a dream!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

you need to replace the 02 sensor cause the heater is bad, the misfires are from the vacuum leak, the 1316 is misfires bad enough to cause cat damage, and replace the imt orings with the green ones from Jaguar, dont be cheap and get some that look like they fit fine from the auto parts store. you have a jaguar not a kia. clear the codes anfter fixing and that should take care of it. use dextron 2, 3 or 5 autotrans fluid. general power steering fluid is okay. unlike Honda PS fluid, dont use that and youll have to replace the pump, the rack and reservoir and flush all the lines and cooler. there I just saved you a trip to the dealer. thatll be a $100

Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM

[quote=becool1st;297801]replaced the PCV hose, that one had two tears in it. I didn't get the dealer one, just cut an aftermarket hose from an auto shop, looked like it fit pretty well =)
quote]

Hey Just FYI i had did the same thing and replaced that PCV hose with a standard hose. about a week later i lost all power and the car went into limp mode. The oil fumes had eatin into the hose and caused it to collapes. You really need to spend the extra few bucks and get the reinforced one.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by becool1st
replaced the PCV hose, that one had two tears in it. I didn't get the dealer one, just cut an aftermarket hose from an auto shop, looked like it fit pretty well =)
Will see tomorrow if the car is still sputtering...
Thank you guys for helping!
Have a quick question:
Does it matter what POWER STEERING FLUID I put in the reservoir, because the cap was leaking, I had to replace it. I just added all purpose power steering fluid.
Thank you.

I replaced my hose with one from a car parts store too , lasted a week or too then the engine sucked it flat , will do the trick for a while though.

Mike.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks for all your help! I put the Jaguar original PCV HOSE, I found another leak, here is the picture, I don't know what it is and where it's better to order it, right now just put tape over it =( Please, help.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM

that little white thing is just a one-way-vacuum valve. There cheap and you can get em at any parts store, just take it off (might need a little WD-40) and take it to the store, they can find you one. If you tell them what kind of car you got theyll freak out so DONT! anyone should work.
But make sure you put it on the right way.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The one at the rear is the brake booster pipe. The plastic check valve on mine was so brittle from engine heat that when I touched it to check it over it just fell apart. I can tell you for certain if your wife is driving the car you are way better off replacing everything at once rather than piece meal. When my wife told me the CEL came on I pulled the codes and decided to go for the triple play. I went to my Jag dealer bought green IMT rings, a new reinforced PCV hose and a brake booster pipe. Installation is simple and the car now runs like a top again.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read the comment about trying to replace the check valve alone. You can do what you want but I wouldn't (and didn't) try it. IF you found the right size check valve you still have a very strong chance of having a vacuum leak due to a poor fit in the hose which has very little give to it. Remember this is for your BRAKES. Jaguar sells it as an assembly for a reason.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

this is a great post, Im sorry about your troubles but this basically addresses some is not most of the weak and breakable point ont he car. I hope it on the road again and thanx everyone for the imput.

thought id be nice

Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

on that check valve, Ive posted this before but here it is again. I use about a 1" piece of heat shrink a few inches long. I slide it over the check valve and heat it. I seals and reinforces the whole thing. plus its costs almost nothing. And I can assure you that youre not gonna get anything out of a shrunk plastic piping. I know ive tried, just heat shrink it and be done, or go buy from Jaguar they range in price from about $90-130 for the whole pipe and check valve

Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
on that check valve, Ive posted this before but here it is again. I use about a 1" piece of heat shrink a few inches long. I slide it over the check valve and heat it. I seals and reinforces the whole thing. plus its costs almost nothing. And I can assure you that youre not gonna get anything out of a shrunk plastic piping. I know ive tried, just heat shrink it and be done, or go buy from Jaguar they range in price from about $90-130 for the whole pipe and check valve
heat shrink? Can I buy that in auto parts shop? How long is it going to last, because it looks like it's really close to the engine - hot area, looks like that valve is all damaged by the heat, that's why it has a crack in it. That heat shrink is not going to melt or fall off? As I understand it's like ceramic plastic or smth. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 AM

had the same problem, just bought the car, and i have replaced it with a hose used for coolant, so high temp. resistant, i am going to buy the OEM one but didn't get time to get to the Jaguar dealer.