X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Service Light

Old 09-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Service Light

Hello to everyone: My 2002 X Type, 2.5 L had the Engine light come on in the dashboard warning panel. I purchased a roadi NGS100 Auto Scanner & it seems to work great! It has shown 2 related trouble codes.
P0171 : System Too Lean,
Bank 1 and P0174 : System Too Lean Bank 2. Can anyone please explain exactly what these codes mean & what can I do to remedy this situation? Thanking the Knowledgeable Community In Advance!!!
Cheers from Larry.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Larry, lean condition on Bank 1 and Bank 2 all indicate a vacuum leak. The leak is downstream from the MAF sensor. There are 3 usual culprits to try first. If it isn't one of them then we can go deeper looking for the vacuum leak. I have listed them in order for you to troubleshoot.
1. The brake booster check valve fails quite often due to the plastic housing cracking from engine heat. There is a plastic line running from the top of the rear intake manifold to the brake booster. Approximately midway is a round knob like fitting. The is the check valve. Examine it for cracking, swelling and damage.
2. PVC connector hose. This hose is visible after you remove the air cleaner upper cover. It is a hose that runs from the front valve cover to the intake manifold. If it is a smooth hose it is the old style and is known to fail. Usually the cracking and splits are on the bottom side. If it is a hose with a rib pattern around it then it is the new style and has been replaced in the past.
3. The last place to check is the IMT seals. IMT solenoids are at the end of the intake manifold on the left side of the manifold. They have wires plugged into the solenoids and are a round black assembly. The O-Rings are a known fail point causing a vacuum leak.
Make sure you check these 3 items and repair or replace depending on your findings. SNG Barratt and JagBits, forum sponsors, carry the parts in stock for a reasonable price.
Let us know how things work out for you. If these 3 don't clear up the problem we can move on deeper into the system for trouble shooting.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

+1 on vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor. In picture taken from my ATF service you can see the MAF unit in the intake tube just to the right of the blue funnel. Any air leak downstream of the MAF will result in a lean condition, triggering the CEL. Check your intake tube and the clamps for integrity. Also to the right and below the jug you'll see the PCV connector hose. This one is the old style that avern1 mentions. I have since upgraded mine to the new part, purchased from SNG Barratt.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Service Light-atf-fill.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 09-20-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Changed wording in sentence.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Default Thank You!! P0171&P0174

Wow! What an awesome and in depth Answer to my Trouble Code Question!! I appreciate it Very Much! I will certainly try my best to assess all areas that you have explained in your reply. I will write back to let you know my findings and hopefully my success in eliminating this problem and those 2 Trouble Codes. Have a Great Day & Thanks again for taking the time to send me all that Very Helpful Information! Cheers, Larry.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Larry, if you do a little searching on here about those two codes or the three remedies suggested by Vern you will find all kinds of posts and pictures on how to replace the parts. Those two codes are probably the most common problems on the X-Type-and easiest and cheapest to fix. Pretty much every X out there has suffered one or more of the failures. You can address all three issues for less than $100 in parts and probably 15 minutes to a half hour of your time total.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Larry, if you happen to smoke cigars, I have a reason for you to smoke one. Let the car cool overnight (you want the engine cold, make sure to turn off the A/C also). Light a cigar (cigarette will work too) and then start the engine. Blow some of the smoke behind the motor/by the brake booster. You don't want to give it too much velocity, just enough to make it wander through the engine bay. Watch the smoke and see if some of it makes a sudden direction change. Where the smoke goes after the sudden change is your vacuum leak.

You may want to also look for the green and orange (if I remember the colors correctly) plastic tubes running under the intake. With age, these are becoming brittle and a good bump is enough to cause them to break and cause a vacuum leak. If you look in the little hole to the left of the throttlebody, you will see atleast one of them there.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:06 PM

A BIG THANK YOU to Vern, Jeff & Vic! I appreciate all of your help and guidance VERY MUCH!!! I'm feeling quite confident that I WILL be able to locate & remedy the problem(s) behind the 2 fault codes. You are ALL AWSOME & thank you ALL for taking the time to explain in detail what the most likely causes of these Codes are & how best to detect and repair the issue(s)! Cheers to All of you!! Have a great day and I will post a follow up after I fix the problem (or not?) lol ( - : Larry.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:12 PM

An EXCELLENT SUGGESTION Chris!!! Pure Genius!! Thank You for the tip, I just hope that I don't get dizzy from the smoke, bump my head & forget what I was doing or why. lol Cheers Thermo, You're ALL AMAZING!!! Larry.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

LarryGeorge, just trying to help you justify a bad habit. I'm sure the wife will love me for it. LMAO. Tell her to blame me. I can take it.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Default Engine Light? I have Great news!

Originally Posted by LarryGeorge
Hello to everyone: My 2002 X Type, 2.5 L had the Engine light come on in the dashboard warning panel. I purchased a roadi NGS100 Auto Scanner & it seems to work great! It has shown 2 related trouble codes.
P0171 : System Too Lean,
Bank 1 and P0174 : System Too Lean Bank 2. Can anyone please explain exactly what these codes mean & what can I do to remedy this situation? Thanking the Knowledgeable Community In Advance!!!
Cheers from Larry.
E
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN TO THOSE OF YOU THAT RESPONDED!!! YOU ARE ALL SUPER AWSOME!!! Good News from Larry! I checked the vacuum lines and none seemed to have an obvious air leak. The air filter was quite clean so, I thought & I read some past forums and then I thought a little more. I decided that maybe it was a fuel injector issue? I bought a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and filled up with the highest octane fuel I could find and my engine light has GONE OFF & STAYED OFF (so far!) I think I just got lucky, maybe I'll pick up a Cigarello & spend a little more time under the hood, just to be on the safe side. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!! Take Care and Drive Safe! Larry. a

Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Great news that your light went off.....but.....I don't think it is because you put the injector cleaner in. I am guessing that the issue you have is intermittent and that you met enough drive cycles without the issue that the light went off. Don't be surprised if it comes back. Your vacuum issue is probably very minor right now, but they don't just fix themselves. Not trying to burst your bubble, just want to be straight with you. But for now, enjoy!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:09 AM

Hello Jeff et al;
I plan on rechecking all the vacuum hoses again in the very near future, when I have a little more time. I will peruse thoroughly and also use Jim's suggestion ok blowing smoke around the hoses instead of just up my butt! lol. Thanks again to all of you for sharing both your wisdom and your patience with us jr. members. Jaguar Forums is a Family and you all do a fantastic job of making us feel welcome right from the NEW Members Introduction! Cheers gents, it's a lovely Fall Saturday so let's get out there and enjoy the drive! Regards, Larry.