X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stumble?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stumble?

I am new to this forum, and I am hopeful someone has had the same problem I have with my 2004 X-type. For awhile now, occasionally the car seems not to want to go. It is hard to describe and I have only experienced it a couple of times. My wife drives the car most of the time and she has said it is getting worse. You would be driving along and then it acts like it doesn't want to go. It stumbles or shakes for a couple of seconds then fixes itself. It acts like the motor is trying to die or the transmission refuses to shift...can't tell which. There are no codes, no check engine light. The car has about 105000 miles on it, but this problem has been around for over a year, only it has become much more noticeable recently. I replaced the spark plugs at 100000 miles with new intake manifold gaskets and a month later, replaced the imt tuner valve o-rings after getting several codes. The engine idles great and normally everything runs very well. I am hoping it is some simple little sensor that needs replacing and not something more serious, like a transmission. Anybody experience anything like this? Thanks. Skip

Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Hi Skip,

sounds like a vacuum leak , is there a hissing sound coming from the pipe near the air box ? the one that goes under the engine cover , they tend to split underneath so you cant see it . Just done mine , it was stuttering like mad when trying to accelerate in the lower gears , tried replacing it with a piece of breather pipe , worked for a bit but then oil fumes and heat killed it , there is an upgraded one available , kind of ribbed , from Jaguar , part No.C2S40863.

Good luck ,

Mike.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Default Engine stumble

Thanks Mike for the info. My engine does not have a cover. I think I know what hose you mean. It is the PVC hose and I replaced it along with the brake booster hose when I replaced the imt tuner valve o-rings. My problem only happens once in awhile, so I don't think it would be caused by a vacuum leak. I don't have any hissing sounds and the engine runs perfectly 95% of the time. Thanks for the ideas, though. Skip

Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

When it runs rough or doesn't "want to go", are you under moderate or higher acceleration? Twice I have run into that when a catalyst has come apart inside. The "bucking" the engine did was pretty violent, and only lasted 3-4 seconds. Both times it was the rear catalyst, the one that's a bit**.

Someone who knows how to monitor O2 Sensors and tell if a catalyst is working should be able to tell whether that might be whats going on.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pscobra
2004 X-type. Driving along and then it acts like it doesn't want to go. It stumbles or shakes for a couple of seconds then fixes itself. It acts like the motor is trying to die or the transmission refuses to shift...There are no codes, no check engine light. but this problem has been around for over a year, only it has become much more noticeable recently. Anybody experience anything like this? Thanks. Skip
Skip; I had a very similar issue with an 04 - First time it happened the car shuddered and died at a light, but started right back up with no codes.

I replaced the battery as even a small decrease in battery performance causes a laundry list of issues however, this was not the cure.

I found the connector to the TPS had gotten wet - My own doing as I washed the engine down and had not exercised caution more than once.

Since correcting this, the problem has never returned.

Hope this helps as my wife is the driver of the 04 and this random problem caused her a lot of anxiety.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Default Engine stumble

Thanks Rob and xjrguy. I will look into both of those problems. I (or my wife) noticed it most under moderate acceleration. It will be easy to check the TPS and I have a place that I trust to check the oxygen sensors. Thanks again. Skip

Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You say the car idles great and normally everything runs well and you have no codes. You also indicated that you replaced the plugs around 5000mi. That leads me to believe that you may have a loose connection or a poor connection that is an intermittent nature. Take your time and relook all your plugs and connectors. The suggestion to check the TB plug is a good one just check them all in your work area of the plugs. When I pull a plug apart I use a electrical cleaner by CRC and check for a snug fit and then I install CRC Di-electrical grease in moderatcy. Many will object to using the di-electric grease but if the connections are snug you should not have a problem, I use it all the time. No codes you have no direction. I hope this helps!