X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Entry Level"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Entry Level"

I know our x-types are "entry level", however, my original sticker for my sport was $38K. It's an entry level to Jaguar but fit and finish is miles above top-of-the-line american sedans. I was noticing in a co-workers car (Saturn Aura) that it looked nice but nothing compared to my Jag.

I like how everything is either covered in leather/vinyl or cloth.

I just don't like the constant statements that it's entry level. I agree it is compared to other jags but it's tons better than other manufacturers. Friends of mine that have a BMW, Accord and Acura TL all say "mine is nice ... but it's nothing compared to a Jag". It's sure nice to hear that.

my two cents.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Entry level is a relative term and calling a car model as entry level does not constitute that that ride is crap or so .
For ex : Lamborghini's entry level is Gallardo and who can tell that Gallardo is a cheap,basic,primitive,ordinary car .
X Type is an entry model for Jaguar but it's worth more than any FWD ride for me regardless of brand .
I like and would prefer X Type more than most MB ,almost every bimmers ,most American rides and so

Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it really depends on the person. I have an 04 xtype 3.0 and there are many pros and cons to the car. The pros are that I like how the faux wood looks on the car...it looks miles better than the wood in any german or japanese car. I like the exhaust note and the the power delivery of the engine. I also like the responsiveness of handling. However compared to some of the more recent german offerings the jag does lag a bit. I also have an 08 audi a4 2.0T and it has a much superior drivetrain...I don't have to worry about transfer cases with quattro. The car is also just as fast as the jag but it gets much better mpg. in terms of the interior I really think the audi is better due to the fact that the materials used is far surperior to the jag. For example our jags have a baeutiful interior but the buttons and plastics on the center consle feel rather cheap and not a nicely put together. The audi on the other hand has plastics that feel like top quality material was used and the buttons feel like they can survive a nuclear bombing. The leather quality of the seats is better on the jag, however, and I rather dislike the sound of the 4cyl compared to the growl of the V6 in the jag. But the audi excels in everything else, it feels so solid on the highway and its even better at crusing at high speeds than the jag. My friends have a newish BMW 335xi and its basically the same case as the audi. If the xtype has better plastics and it better put together and less mechicanical weaknesses then it can really compete with the current german offerings...but as it is now I can really understand why jaguar has been loosing out on sales even though I love both cars.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM

I guess when I hear entry level I think people are saying that the x-type is poorly made. I'm used to Mustangs, so the cabin is much more upscale that what I've been used to. I do like the look of mine and the aggressiveness to it. I just hear everybody's comments about problems and it makes me look for issues as opposed to enjoying it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM

When it comes to cars, it is important not to compare apples to oranges. It wouldn't be fair to compare a super-luxury vehicle to a race car or even an economy car. "Entry-level" doesn't mean much to me because, even though the X-Type was the least expensive Jag, it is still significantly more expensive (new) than, say, a Toyota Yaris, which is Toyota's "entry-level" vehicle. I think it is safe to say you can't really compare those vehicles.

And even more importantly, it doesn't matter what your car is - expensive or cheap, entry-level or top-of-the-line - as long as you like your car and it works for you, that is what really matters.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Well said.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Just remember, Jag's entry level model is better than 90% of the other companie's top of the line models. For what you get, X-Types are tremendous value for the money.

Mike

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM

Yea, i agree i love my X-type. My father is very close friends with the dealer in Madison and has owned over 20 diffrent Jags, and Benz, and even a Rolls Royce. But guess what, he drives a X-type at this point. hahah I know why would you go down from a Rolls, well we live in very harsh climate with a lot snow. I acutally wanted an S type, but my father said no cause it was horrible in the snow. I dont know if its true, but i can say my X-type is great in the snow, actually comming up the mountain a few weeks ago in a snow storm i say a caddi and and bimmer,stuck on the side as i just drove right up

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X-types depreciate for reasons.. they are not a subjective ones. It is not a better car, it is a cheap alternative. It has the show-off flair for most wanna-be's and the 60%rear biased, viscouscoupled torque for the wanna-be ralliers.

I like to think objectively, and I dont think there is any quantitative measurement that justifies "almost every bimmer" that is an absurd comment.

By the way, the wood on the jag is real wood... not fake.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 PM

well maybe most people dont have 100,000 k for an aston martin, and its prefrance.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KUrtyMAc
well maybe most people dont have 100,000 k for an aston martin, and its prefrance.
prefrance??? lost me there.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 PM

its the preference of the driver. An x-type can be a good car if the right work is done to it.