X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 X-type compared to 03 STR

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 X-type compared to 03 STR

Well my 03 S-type R had to to go the dealer so I got a rental, an 08 X-type 3.0. My first thoughts, inside is not as flashy, no thrills on certain power items such as pedals, steering wheel, no GPS etc. Feels more like a Ford. However there is some pros to this car, might be because its newer but I was impressed after driving it. 1) The 3.0 is very peppy and actually packs a little punch, in sport mode the sucker shifted at 6500 begining redline, very nice 2) The seat heaters were soo hot and warmed up alot quicker then my STR 3) the radio in this thing, even though its the non-premium sound has better bass then my Alpine with two subs 4) gas mileage was incredible-used to the sucking of the STR but this thing barely used any gas for my 80 mile venture home. 5)Very smooth on the road, almost couldn't feel the road at all, got a little boring but some people look for this.

My thoughts, I would buy an X-type for a good DD, great on gas has good pep. STR is good for the weekend or night driving has alot more speed but sucks up alot more gas. I was impressed with the X-type-good job Jag.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

S Type is a higher class car whereas X Type is an entry level . However I must admit I like more the way X Type looks over S Type .

Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM

I know our x-types are "entry level", however, my original sticker for my sport was $38K. It's an entry level to Jaguar but fit and finish is miles above top of the line american sedans. I was noticing in a co-workers car that it looked nice but nothing compared to my Jag. I like how everything is either covered in leather/vinyl or cloth.

I just don't like the constant statements that it's entry level. I agree it is compared to other jags but it's tons better than other sedans.

my two cents.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Any Jaguar, X-Type, S-Type, or XJ looks a thousand times better on the inside than anything American.. The last time I rode in a friends CTS, just the sheer amount of plastic in the car made me feel sick to my stomach.. lol even the new $70k Z06 looks like they popped the entire dash out of an injection molding machine.. I think the best judge of a cars interior is a girl.. While they don't know much about the mechanical or performance side of a car, when they get in they either say "I'm in love with your Jaguar!" or "Hmm, this Nissan is interesting..."

Just my 2 cents lol.. Eric

Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I would sum it up like this:

The Germans know how to make a car handle like its on rails
The Americans know how to pack a lot of horsepower in just about anything (safe or not)
The Chinese will build you anything for $5,000 US dollars
The Japanese know how to make a cost-efficient and very reliable car
The Italians know how to make some of the sexiest cars on the road
The Australians know how to.. well I don't really know what they do, but I'm happy for them

And the Brits know how to make a refined luxury car with a phenomenal interior..

Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Eric,

Did you mention that Jaguar seats come with an ingredient that magically dissolves the panties off beautiful women?

Mike

Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

hahah that last comment just gets me from carelm that was very funny.Reminds me of the first time i met my gf i pulled up in the X-type Jag and we started dating. Was it my great skillz with woman or the Jag doing all the work for me? haha

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just consider yourself lucky that your jag made it home.
When ever I see a Jag, I point out to my passengers - " that car is either on the way home, or on the way to the dealer" that are the only 2 options when you see a Jag.
hahaha???

Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Jimmy,

Every car company has horror stories doesn't mean that are all bad. My friends honda blew a hole in his block clean through both sides...does it mean all hondas are going to blow? naaa. I owned two Fords big pieces of crap, spent more time in the shop then anything I had including the Jag. She only sees a shop for tires. No need to bash the brand. I am sorry I should have asked, what you hate Jags but continue to post on the forums?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the car... I hate the fact that it is NEVER working 100% for more than a day or two. The Brand has a huge history of poor reliability. the frequency of failures, and needed repairs is very high compared to almost every other car out there.
Like I said the jag depreciates for a reason. not an invented one.

I got caught with the temptation of low resale prices. I also am very talented at doing repairs myself. My opinion is just that, an opinion, but for sure it is an educated one.
I have owned many cars and brands and done all the maintenace on them. I have over 20 years of experience with german, american, sweedish and even several english cars. The Jag is by far the worst for reliability.
I love the rear biased awd, decent power, and the VC torque control in the transfer case. It is what is needed to drive serioulsy in the winter.