Sponsored by:

Expansion tank overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expansion tank overflowing

Hi,
New to site and in need of help.....
I have a x-type 2.1 2002 model that has a problem with the expansion tank and I can't figure it out.
When I turn car on it's all fine but after a while when heated up the water starts to go down in the expansion tank but then it will boil up and start to flow out of the overflow slot in the expansion tank.
It seems as if there is an air block forcing the water back up into the tank and pushing it out via the overflow slot.
It has happened twice now and everything I read shows there is no bleed valve anywhere to get air out the system.
The car doesn't overheat, blowers are fine inside the car and there is no signs it has affected the head gasket in any way - no mayo in oil and water is just water.
The only thing I have found that may make any sense is that the hose/pipe that runs from front of car over engine (breather pipe?) May be knackered in some way, at the front is has about an inch of rubber pipe that goes to a more solid pipe but the rubber pipe kind of collapses in on itself and I'm not sure if that's causing a problem?
Can someone please shed any light on issue?
Cheers

Old 11-05-2013, 02:46 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Is this a diesel version of the "x"?

If it's a gas version, follow below. If it's a diesel or UK version, I don't really know.

The cooling system in the "x" is a closed system and designed as such. There is no over-flow, there are returns, but again it is a closed and sealed system. It's designed to run at 15 psi, so I would have your system pressure tested, because it sounds to me like you have a leak somewhere. A few reasons I say this, with a properly sealed and filled system you won't see the coolant really move a lot. Also, the rubber hose is collapsed, telling me there's a leak somewhere. So, have it pressure tested and when they find the leak we can give good advice on how to get it fixed…

Peace and Humptiness forever…

Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

JImmy, sounds like you have a blockage in one of the coolant channels and this is causing the water pump to try and pull a suction on some of the piping. This is then resulting in the water turning to steam in part of the engine and displacing the water. This needs to be looked at and the blockage removed. Not being infinitely familiar with the 2.1L engine, I would have to recommend that you find a good shop and have them see what they can do for you.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My X-Type 2.5 V6 SE has this same coolant dissapearing & returning trick. Normal engine temp on guage, no oil in coolant only pinkish water however steam comes out of exhaust. Puzzled could this be head gasket failiure?