X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extending the life of my jag

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending the life of my jag

So I know I just posted a previous thread about an error light, but this was just a question I was thinking of as I was driving home...

Is there anything that I can do, maybe out of the ordinary/something I wouldn't normally think of, to extend the life of my 2002 x type?

My parents bought me the car in April of 2012 with about 89K miles and change. My dad immediately had the spark plugs changed out, and I'm not sure if he did any other mechanical things, but I can always ask.

Since then, I've replaced the battery around September/October of 2012. I "try" to get oil changes about every 5,000 miles and the filter is changed as well. My entire AC was taken out and replaced with a brand new one after I pulled into what I thought was a dirt road (actually a ditch) and a rock hit this piece that is in between my license plate and the bottom of my car, this all happened in 2012.

Fast forward to 2014...I spun out attempting to get onto the freeway in the rain and went over a small curb. Car didn't roll or anything like that, but I did have some work done, and normal maintance as well since it was due for that. I had my subframe replaced, new brakes and rotors on the front and back, 2 new oxygen sensors, an alignment, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and probably a couple other things I can't think of at the moment.

Currently (besides this stupid light that comes on that I'm trying to find a solution for) my car runs pretty well. I'd like it to get better gas mileage (I'm averaging about 19MPG) but overall it has been a very good car to me. I now have 118K miles on it, and again reverting to my initial question, is there anything else that I should be doing to maintain the life of my car?

When I was in driver's ed my teacher said that every once in a while if I'm driving an older car with high miles that I should put a fuel injector in when I'm filling up with gas. I have never done this though.

Also, if there's any mechanical issues that I should be worried about please let me know...
Thanks!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Sarah, I would suggest that you have the MAF Sensor cleaned and the throttlebody cleaned. These may help your mileage.

As for the fuel injectors, you can try running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the car, but you can also try running another brand of gas if you tend to run the same brand all the time. Stick with a major competitor and you will be golden.

As for getting your mileage up, this can be affected by a lot of things. The big things that I have noticed that will affect the mileage is the following:

-when accelerating, is the car shifting at say 3,000, or more up in the 5,000 RPM range? The higher the RPM that the car shifts at, the lower the mileage will be
-Do you do a lot of short trips (ie, 5 miles or less). This will result in the car running the engine rich as it is attempting to warm the engine up, which then causes you to use more fuel and therefore lower mileage
-When going between home and work/school, do you find yourself doing a lot of stop and go in the car. Our cars like to get out and cruise. The stop and go really kills the mileage
-What speed are you normally cruising at? Thru testing of my car, I find that the car actually likes to run about 75 mph. You get it down around 50 mph and the mileage will actually drop.

When it comes to maintenance to get the most out of your car, follow what the owner's manual says (if you need a copy, let me know). That will be pretty inclusive. Then it is just down to not living with a problem when you find it, but fixing it right off the bat so the problem doesn't start affecting other things.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, in my previous vehicles, ive found that an aftermarket intake and opening the exhaust a lil bit will increase it some. but idk what the case would be with these cars as ive only had mine for about a month now. And Thermo, if you would be so kind, i wouldnt mind getting a copy of our owners manual.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I would highly recommend you change the fluids out in the transmission, transfer case and rear differential. Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job so far. Keep it up and I'm sure you will have a very reliable ride for a long tome to come.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran member

beardedjag, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the manuals. Do you want the JTIS electrical diagrams too?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM'ed Thermo

Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Thermo,
Although I do drive somewhat long trips (school is about 10 miles and I'm a nanny so I can drive between 5-75 miles in a day depending on the kids activities) living in the westside of Los Angeles (UCLA neighborhood) I am always in traffic unless I'm driving at non-peak hours which is a rarity. Speed limit on freeways is 65MPH so when the traffic is clear I usually drive around the 70-72 MPH range. I know my dad has the manual so I'll definitely cross reference what that says to do with the service paperwork.

Thanks to everyone else for the tips!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Sarah, I know LA all too well. Done more than my fair share of time there along with San Diego. Gotta love having to enter freeways at 75 MPH so you don't get blasted off the freeway. Based on what you are describing, 19 MPG is probably not too far off from what the car will get. IT is all that stop and go traffic that is killing you. If you get a chance, Get the car out on the highway where you can do say a 50 mile trip or so and once you get up to speed, reset the tripometer (this will also reset the MPG reading too) for the other channel (B channel most likely). At the end of the run, see what you are getting MPG wise. If you are up over 24 MPG, then your car is running like it should. I can normally get into the high 20's (if not into the low 30's) on a run like that.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:21 AM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

There are quite a few of us here who are pushing 200,000 miles on their cars and still going strong so You should be good if you are planning to keep hold of your X. Keeping on top of any emergent signs of corrosion is becoming my biggest worry - it's brutal what they put on the roads up here in winter - probably less of a problem down south in sunny california but even so, some anti- corrosion treatment on any car this age is probably worth the investment if you plan on long term ownership - i would put that on my to do list if not already done.