X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory sport shocks vs Lowering springs, ride difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Factory sport shocks vs Lowering springs, ride difference?

Hey

I was wondering what the difference is between the factory sport shocks vs lowering spring would be. I currently have the comfort shock from the factory on my X-type, but honestly it is not very comfortable. Will lowering(lowering springs) the car make it ride worse or better? I know it would hug the ground more, but I have heard both sides that it would ride better and it would ride worse. If you had the choice would you rather go with factory sport springs or lowering spring from Mina?

I am a little confused

Thanks for your input!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

My springs have just started to settle and love the ride now, feels more solid, more tank-like, more sport jag like. If you just swap the shocks and no springs then it might ride a tad stiffer but the lowering springs play a large roll in stiffening the suspension.

If your X is already the sport model then there is not sense in upgrading the springs as it already has the sport springs installed...

I would highly recommend the sport shocks (can get them from eshocks.com) and the H&R springs, after they have settled (takes about 3-5k miles driving around) you will love how it rides.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

XKR, I don't think there is any one answer to what you are after. If you remove the variable of different rim/tire from this equation, you are now just looking at spring rate affecting the ride. The lower the spring rate number (which is measured in pounds/inch), the softer the ride is going to be and the more likely the springs are to soak up the bumps. But, at the same time, the more likely you are to reach a bump stop too. Changes of say up to 20% in the spring rate will not significantly affect it reaching the bump stop, but may offer the better ride.

Remember, if you step up in the rim size (ie, going from 17's to 19's), this will also have an effect on ride quality. So, you need to look at each part individually.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh wow, shocks are expensive... $450 for the sport shocks on eshocks.com. Hmm wondering what I should do... I wanted to lower it with springs, but I honestly can't afford shocks too if I do that. Not sure when shocks should be changed. There are some parts of the road in the country where I really feel the bumps in the road, but maybe that has to do with the rims too. Have about 80k miles so the shocks are probably original. I'm thinking just throw on the lowering springs since I am going for a stiffer ride anyway and maybe doing the shocks at some point down the line if they really need it.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Oh wow, shocks are expensive... $450 for the sport shocks on eshocks.com. Hmm wondering what I should do... I wanted to lower it with springs, but I honestly can't afford shocks too if I do that. Not sure when shocks should be changed. There are some parts of the road in the country where I really feel the bumps in the road, but maybe that has to do with the rims too. Have about 80k miles so the shocks are probably original. I'm thinking just throw on the lowering springs since I am going for a stiffer ride anyway and maybe doing the shocks at some point down the line if they really need it.
I'm gonna lol when your jag blows a radiator and you're all like "hey guys, any tips on how to make a radiator out of aluminum foil?"

$450 for shocks is cheap as dirt bro.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

If you gonna go through all the trouble to replace the springs might as well do the shocks too, however there are some members on here that have replaced just the springs and left the original shocks

Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh wow, shocks are expensive...
You didn't buy a Jag and think it would be cheap to mod did you? 450 isn't bad for quality shocks. What would you say about 1300 bucks for coilovers haha. If you really want to mod your X, save a few grand up and buy some key big ticket items. If you try to take the cheap way out every time you'll never end up with a quality build. Be happy you have an awesome car, enjoy it how it is and save up some real cash for quality parts.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

No, I really am tempted to buy the coilovers since you can really lower the car a lot more... do they include shocks? For me I'm not really worried about it... My shocks seem alright. I am contemplating the lowering springs though to give it a more aggressive stance and help with cornering. It still feels like a granny mobile, although it's starting to come together with the LED lights and debadging.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have to ask if coilover sets come with shocks then you need to spend more time on google learning more before you buy anything. Also try searching the forum here for threads before you ask any questions because 90% of the things you've been asking have like 2 or 3 threads about them already so many people are actually just not answering you as well as they have already done in the past. You seem like you want to do a lot of things but don't have the money to do them so use this time in your life to save money and research, because its free and the BEST thing you can ever do for your car if you want to mod it. Look at other cars (not just jags) that have mods similar to what you want to do and see how you can do it with your car. If you just blow money here and there on cheap things you will still always be broke and you'll never get any big mods done, just little things.

The following users liked this post:
liquidreality (02-24-2014)