X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAQ Transfer case oil level error! oh no.. retract what I said before.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: FAQ Transfer case oil level error! oh no.. retract what I said before.

Bo, Nice write up...,

Did you do all this on your back removing the TC case?..About how long did it take to pull it out?..Knowing you have the manual..I wonder if the auto is much harder to do..

TIA

Old 11-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: FAQ Transfer case oil level error! oh no.. retract what I said before.

pics! pics!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Bo:
Fantastic writeup. I am amazed at your organization and thoroughness on this.
I know. you are probably waiting for me to say something sarcastic.
Not gonna do it.
'cuz I really mean it. Nice job.
I'm thinking I may have overfilled mine as well, based on what you found.

And in the spirit of being nice:
I DID in fact, remove the link shaft.
That's the way my dealer says they do it. I did the same. So far, I've found no additional leaks from seals I may have damaged. However: I did not previously consider the inter-mixing of fluids if the seals between T-case and Manual Trans are damaged.
Nor do I know how I would check this.... since both fluids are PURPLE!
But since they're very similar fluids anyway.... I'll just wait and see what happens.
But I think I'll probably end-up in the same place you are eventually. I'm tired of the noise from the T-case. It howls until ya mash the pedal. Classic signs of burned gears.

Great Job Bo. And thanks for the pics.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Bo,

Now that you have the TC out and on the bench, can you see what prevented 200 ML from draining out? Is there a sump below the level of the drain plug? Can a hose be inserted through the drain plug to pull the remaining fluid out?

What about draining the TC per the JTIS procedure (removing the output shaft)? Is that approach worth the effort?

What blocks access to the fill plug (when the TC is installed)?

Thanks for the pics!!

Mark

Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

great job man! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

great looking working shop! I too am curios about what MarkC said, I don't think I have the guts to remove the entire tc.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up and pics. I for one would love to see some pics of the internals while you have it apart.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

bo did you ever determine if the rh seal was truly leaking? this sounds a lot like the mysterious leak that began *following* my drain/refill with somewhere between 550/600 ml. maybe just maybe it's still venting overfilled fluid even after 5 months?!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 PM

yup - i agree 100%. i think i'm fine -simply overfilled. your 400ml discovery makes it official. i think changing a vent and rh seal sounds very ominous....my tc case was dry as a bone (no leaks whatsoever) before the refill. i'm not going to touch a thing...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 PM

right on!!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: McJaguar

Bo:
Fantastic writeup. I am amazed at your organization and thoroughness on this.
I know. you are probably waiting for me to say something sarcastic.
Not gonna do it.
'cuz I really mean it. Nice job.
I'm thinking I may have overfilled mine as well, based on what you found.

And in the spirit of being nice:
I DID in fact, remove the link shaft.
That's the way my dealer says they do it. I did the same. So far, I've found no additional leaks from seals I may have damaged. However: I did not previously consider the inter-mixing of fluids if the seals between T-case and Manual Trans are damaged.
Nor do I know how I would check this.... since both fluids are PURPLE!
But since they're very similar fluids anyway.... I'll just wait and see what happens.
But I think I'll probably end-up in the same place you are eventually. I'm tired of the noise from the T-case. It howls until ya mash the pedal. Classic signs of burned gears.

Great Job Bo. And thanks for the pics.
First, thank you Bo for the great write up and pictures! It's information relief to have second opinion from forum members vs. Jaguar and have data to back it up.

Second, I have an issue I wanted to bounce off of you and Mcjaguar because I seem to have same issue as he does.

My 03 3L auto makes loud howling noise. It peaks around 30mph then again around 45mph. At other speeds loudness varies linearly according to road speed and no noise at stop.

First I thought it was my viscous coupler. Then reading a lot and not getting any clearer, I read Mcjaguar's note on how 'burned gears' can make howling noise. So if this is the case, how do I verify it and what is the fix?

So far I've changed the transmission oil, transfer case oil and rear differential oil(thanks to the write up on the forums!). What do you recommend I do next?