X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Jaguar couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Jaguar couple questions

I just purchased a 2006 x type vdp awd. Why is one valve cover black and one aluminum? And I have two keys one with fob one like a spare no fob. The spare starts the car and the one with the fob(switchblade) says security failed and won't start the car or nothing from the fob. It will turn the ignition and manually lock and unlock the doors

Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

turbo06: First, welcome to the Jaguar forum. You'll discover this is a place where Jaguar owners like to share tips and tricks about our cars.

Regarding the color of your intakes, the factory original intakes are silver-colored aluminum. Can you upload a picture of your black intake, and maybe someone will recognize it?

As for your keys, the non-working fob may simply need a new battery. For instructions to replace batteries and reprogram fobs, check out the "How To" section of our forum, under the "interior" and "various and useful" headings. There you'll find three threads on replacing fob batteries, reprogramming fobs and other fob facts. Here's the link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

Last edited by dwclapp; 09-18-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwclapp
turbo06: First, welcome to the Jaguar forum. You'll discover this is a place where Jaguar owners like to share tips and tricks about our cars.

Regarding the color of your intakes, the factory original intakes are silver-colored aluminum. Can you upload a picture of your black intake, and maybe someone will recognize it?

As for your keys, the non-working fob may simply need a new battery. For instructions to replace batteries and reprogram fobs, check out the "How To" section of our forum, under the "interior" and "various and useful" headings. There you'll find three threads on replacing fob batteries, reprogramming fobs and other fob facts. Here's the link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/
Its not the intake its the valve covers that are a different color. Also I not worried about the fob how do you make the key start the car.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Welcome.

The Key is electronically coded to the car, there is one chip in the key and one in the instrument cluster.
Do the unlock and lock buttons work on your fob?
dwclapp has a point that you may just need to change the battery and sync your key there are youtube videos on this. loads of posts on here, grab a cup of coffee (or tea ) and read away I would highly recommend a quick read of this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-owners-95731/

As for the rocker covers the previous owner may have just painted it for
looks.
I would not worry about it.

I would also suggest as a new to you owner changing ALL the fluids
Break,Diff,Transfer case,engine oil and tranny fluid. will save you a lot of potential problems.
These are wonderful cars, parts are a lot cheaper and easier to find then you think just come here and we will be glad to point you in the right direction.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Guys, stop me if I am wrong here, but weren't the later cars made with plastic valve covers. So, in turbo06's case, he either got a car during the change over (granted, I would have expected them to use the same style from the factory, not leave it looking goofey with 2 different color covers) or possibly that there was an issue with one of the valve covers and either the dealership or a shop had to install a new valve cover and they got the "new" part that was the plastic cover, vice a new aluminum cover? I doubt it came from the factory that way.

As for the keys, from what you are describing, it sounds like someone lost both keys to the car at one point, paid a lock smith to cut the key without the fob so they could start the car and then they later had a key (with the fob) cut, but the locksmith didn't have the tools to code the key to the car as it takes 2 working keys that are programmed to the car already to program a new key without the use of a factory computer. But, they were able to program the fob portion to the car. Like was mentioned, there are 2 different chips (each with a unique identifier) in a given keyfob with blade. Just because you program one, doesn't mean the other is programmed.