X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel and clutch compatability

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flywheel and clutch compatability

Good morning all from Ireland and happy holidays!!

I have a question that I cant seem to get a straight answer for on the net.
I was recently told that the slight tapping/knocking sound coming from the engine bay, that stops when I depress the clutch, is my flywheel telling the world that its finally had enough....................

Given that the 2.0 diesel car share an engine and gearbox with the Ford Mondeo, you would expect the Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch kits to be the same for both Mondeo's and X-types, I contacted a seller on EBay about a "LUK" kit for a Mondeo which would convert from DMF to SMF, link here:

FORD MONDEO TDCI 5 SPEED DMF TO SMF FLYWHEEL CONVERSION CLUTCH KIT AND SLAVE BRG | eBay

I asked him if this would be suitable for an X-type and what, if any, problems or issues might arise from a SMF conversion. I have read varied opinions on the internet regarding DMF to SMF. He replied by sending me a link saying that the item I would actually need for my car would be this:

JAGUAR X TYPE 2.0 D TURBO DIESEL 5 SPEED LUK DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH, CSC | eBay

He didn't answer as to whether or not the conversion kit would be compatible, and the paranoid sector of my brain is telling me that the same kit should do both cars and that vendors just want to sell the same parts, with Jaguar written on the box, for much more than its identical Ford equivalent.

Even this kit would be much more economical than the one that the seller directed me to, its from his own store and it claims to give a lifetime of trouble-free service including a lifetime guarantee on the starter motor:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/JAGUAR-2-0-TU...item3a7a6f1fd6

So I cant understand why a "problematic" DMF replacement kit costs so much more than a "trouble-free" SMF conversion kit. Can anyone shed some light on this and if any of you have done the DMF to SMF conversion, I would be grateful for pro and con feedback on the topic.

Last edited by barryo2002; 12-24-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Barry.
I know that my BMF and clutch must be coming up for changing soon as the original has completed almost 100k and we tow a caravan as well. I have followed some of the threads on various jag, ford and other forums and have personally decided that when the time comes I will stick with the so called dreaded DMF set up. The reasons for this is that as far as I can gather the DMF smooth’s out the pulsing torque that these high torque/BHP engines put out (compared to the old oil burners and indeed petrol engines of yesteryear). Some people have completed the conversion to SMF only to pay again soon after to go back to a DMF as it was so harsh, some have even had gearbox failures and have put it down to the SMF set up. Others say there experience has been a good one with the SMF set up. I cannot afford to pull the gear box out twice, pay for two flywheels and clutches and no way do I want to trash the gearbox. So I am going to play safe and fit a LUK DMF and clutch kit when the time comes if it last another 100k then that’s great. As for the cost being higher, in the DMF kit the flywheel is quite a complicated bit of kit as it says dual mass and fitted with much bigger springs in between the two parts that can absorb a lot more shock loads than the little springs in the old style clutch friction plate, so its not just a single machined disc as is the old solid flywheel set up.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks very much for your detailed answer, I was thinking along the same lines myself, if its there, it must be for a reason, I'm still unsure as to whether the ford mondeo dmf is compatible with our cars though, they appear to sell two apparently identical kits, one with ford on the box for a reasonable price and one with jaguar on the box with an extra few quid slapped on for the privilege. I'll try to do a bit of research in the new year regarding the part numbers of both kits and ill post the results.
Funny thing is, I didn't even realize that the dmf was making noise until my mechanic pointed it out to me. Now I can't stop hearing it! Ignorance is actually bliss at the end of the day!!
Happy Xmas to all and a great "jag-problem-free" new year!!
🎅

Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how you get on with the part number search I would be interested on the outcome of this for my future reference when I have to change mine. Bear in mind that Jaguar did tinker with the ford engine quite a bit and modify a lot of bits and pieces from the original design. The crank position sensor gets its information from the teeth on the fly wheel and even if you purchase one from jaguar before fiting you are advised to check the number and position of these teeth. So it could well be that the ford one compared to the Jaguar one is very slightly different and could cause running problems with the engine. Is it worth finding out after it is fitted that your cat does not like the ford set up. Unless you are 100% certain that he part numbers cross match.
Just had a look on Euro car parts site and the only ford / Jag DMF parts that cross match are the same price for ford or jag, The cheaper ford ones have “32 crank sensor tabs” and the ones with the same part No “58 crank sensor tabs” also check the gearbox model IE MX75. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any one know how to replace a flywheel on a 2003 3.0 x-type Jaguar, Please if you know how and how long it takes would calm me down some