X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forum failed me

Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default forum failed me

for the first time in many years the forum failed me. I can't complain the forum has saved me many thousands of dollars in repairs on my '07 x-type and '98 xk8. My x-type has a low speed high pitch very loud whistle/squeal. It would start at 21mph peak at 23mph and disappear at 25mph. At 70 to 72 mph there is an extremely high pitch noise that is very hard to hear. I'm sure any dogs in the area are going nuts. The noises seemed to come from the front 1/3 of the car. The general diagnosis from the forum was the transfer case fluid. Well just came back from the dealer $185 poorer and the noise is still here. Anybody got a plan "B". Jack

Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I wouldn't say they failed you. Changing transfer fluid was probably a good idea even if it didn't stop the noise. It could be your propshaft bearing making the noise. There are several threads on here about greasing the propshaft bearing.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

In cold weather - which there is a bit of around here - my 2002 X-Type has the same scream at the same low speeds. However, after a bit of driving it simply disappears.

It is a common malady, and many have come into the forum here to investigate it. It seems to be from the from passenger side of the car, the front prop-shaft area; a seal, a bearing or some-such.

The general consensus seems to be it is quite a distraction, and directly related to cold and lubrication, but I do not recall reading a definitive explanation OR fix for the racket.

Since it just seems to completely stop with the car warming up in a mile or two, or advent of warmer weather, myself and many others just chose to ignore it.

For a "Plan B", you might try aiming a can of WD-40 under the car in that general area and emptying it, staying away from the brake pads and rotor of course. For $5 USD, it might work! (let us know if it does). Personally, I suspect the main wheel bearing. Only "true Jaguar" replacements are suitable for that part (because of the ABS magnetic ring), and the cold-weather scream might be a result of some manufacturing defect (or superior, high machine tolerances?).

As for the high-pitched noise, I would suspect something different, like an Alternator, Belt Idler Pulley or Water Pump bearing. A vacuum leak will give you a high-pitched squeal at road speeds, too, but likely would be popping you into Limp Mode now and then.

Park it in a warm garage overnight before driving it in the cold, see if that makes the low-speed noise stop. If it does, just try to ignore it. It doesn't seem to have stopped anyone on the roadside yet.

Attached Thumbnails forum failed me-1-resized_the-most-interesting-man-world-meme-generator-i-have-small-car-350hp-tho.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had similar symptoms on my 06 xtype, dealer said bearing on rear drive shaft over the phone. Said they would replace it and symptoms will be back in under two years.
Replaced for $1800 under warranty in November. On -20 mornings I can hear noise again not nearly as loud or often. Its a common problem.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks guys. After a lengthy phone conversation with Service Advisor at Jaguar he assured me my requested fluid change was a good thing. "According to his Techs the noise could be the center driveshaft bearing. Noise should go away when weather warms or replacement for $900. Rear prop shaft has to be replaced also. Normal Jaguar SOP". Looks like this weekend I'll be under the car trying to get some grease in that bearing. Jack

Old 02-04-2014, 02:55 PM

Update: went to my local gas jockey. We have an agreement that I will supply parts he will supply labor and I can look over his shoulder and make suggestions. Brought the '07 squealing x-type in. He put it on the lift. He took out 2 bolts holding center carrier bearing. He spun it around a few times and gave it a shot of WD40 around the edge of the rubber seal. Reconnected bearing. Lowered car. Gave him a $20. Noise gone!!!

The following users liked this post:
geewilicurs (02-05-2014)