Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Service...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Service...

Hi there,
I am thinking of giving my Jaguar an oil and filter change plus six new plugs, is the plugs easy to change? And can I get to the oil filter easy?
Kind regards,

Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

cyberice, I am not really familiar with the 2.1L motors, but on the 2.5L and 3.0L motors, the plugs are not hard, but don't plan on getting them done in say 30 minutes. Most likely, you are looking at having to pull the intake off of the car to get at the back plugs. Not hard, but it is a few more bolts than most people seem to be comfortable with. If you have any mechanical ability, I am sure you can get the plugs done with no issues.

On a side note, the intake gaskets are reusable. So, no need to buy new gaskets unless you think one of them is leaking.

As for the oil filter, should be pretty easy to get to. Again, referring to the 2.5L/3.0L motors, there is a cut out on the under tray for you to reach up and grab the filter. Not the biggest of holes if you have gorilla hands, but big enough to grab the filter and get it out. I normally find the harder part getting the filter back in at the correct angle because it is a bit of a blind hole. But, an extra minute and not freaking out and all is good.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Thermo,

Again thanks for the information, BTY If one of my gaskets are leaking what sort of sound would it make? On throttle down just before settling down they is a very slight bubbly sound.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine last week it will take about 20min+ just to take the intake manifold of for the first time(search the forum to get instruction on where all the bolts are).
Changing the spark plugs is straight forward, and putting it back together takes minutes aswell, if you see that one of the gaskets is getting a bit nackered use engine silicone to seal it together as it will take in so unwanted air and might mess up ur sensors.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

cyberice, I am not sure what that sound could be. I am thinking that you are simply getting an air bubble to move to the overflow bottle and you are hearing it empty into the bottle. That is what I am thinking. But, without having my hands on the car or hearing it live, it is hard to say what it could be.

Another option is if you are having a problem with your windows fogging up when you run the defroster, it could be the drain for your A/C-heating system is plugged and what is happening is as you are slowing down, the water is building up on the front of the drain pan at the bottom of the ventilation system. With the system running, that part is at a slight vacuum and it may be pulling air in through the drain, causing the gurgling that you are hearing. A good spraying of Lysol into the ventilation intake will cure this. Just don't plan on driving the car for about 20 minutes after doing this treatment as the Lysol will be very strong inside the car. If you need more info on this, let me know.