X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freakin P0447 code

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freakin P0447 code

Members, please help. The Jag saga continues.... Had a few codes on a 2005 X-type (3.0 liter) and needed to get them fixed before inspection. Bank 2 O2 sensor and P0447. Replaced the O2 sensor (front of car before cat (grey connector) and shortly thereafter error code showed other one bit it. So replaced it too. Had a P0447 code and from a suggestion here replaced the purge valve at the firewall. No change. Then replaced the canister purge valve near the gas tank and the freakin code is still there. What's my next step? I appreciate any help you can give.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM

I checked the connector next. Two wire. One orange and the other green. Green wire has 12V to it and the other shows about 10 Mohms. I would think it was a ground. Before running a ground to that, how does the ECU know what's happening? P0447 states Emission control circuit open so I would assume it's not talking about some cracked hose or leak.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deldolfan,

Here is the Pin Point Test from the Workshop Manual . . . . Maybe this will help you.

PINPOINT TEST G : P0447. CANISTER CLOSE VALVE CIRCUIT OPEN CIRCUIT
TEST
CONDITIONS
DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
G1: CHECK SUPPLY VOLTAGE TO CCV
Disconnect canister close valve electrical connector, FT5.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Measure the voltage at FT5, pin 1 (GU).
Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to G2.
No
REPAIR the circuit between FT5, pin 1 (GU) and the EMS control relay. For additional information, refer to wiring
diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30 seconds.
RECHECK DTCs. For additional information, see "diagnostic drive cycles" above.
G2: CHECK THE CCV SIGNAL WIRE FOR CONTINUITY.
Disconnect the ECM electrical connector, EN16.
Measure the resistance between EN16, pin 67 (O) and FT5, pin 2 (O).
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to G4.
No
REPAIR the circuit between EN16, pin 67 (O) and FT5, pin 2 (O). For additional information, refer to wiring diagrams.
CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30 seconds. RECHECK
DTCs. For additional information, see "diagnostic drive cycles" above.
G3: CHECK THE CCV SIGNAL WIRE FOR SHORT TO BATTERY
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
CHECK for a voltage at FT5, pin 2 (O).
Is the voltage greater than 1 volt?
Yes
REPAIR the short to battery. For additional information, refer to wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition
switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30 seconds. RECHECK DTCs. For additional information, see
"diagnostic drive cycles" above.
No
GO to G4.
G4: CHECK THE CCV RESISTANCE
CHECK the resistance between pins 1 and 2 of the CCV.
Is the resistance 25 to 30 Ohms at 20°C (68°F)?
Yes
INSTALL a new ECM. REFER to Section 303-14A Electronic Engine Controls / 303-14B Electronic Engine Controls.
Before replacing a ECM, contact Dealer technical support.
No
INSTALL a new CCV. CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30
seconds. RECHECK DTCs. For additional information, see "diagnostic drive cycles" above.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Thanks so much! How can I get access to the workshop manual particularly the locations of these electrical connectors?

Old 08-12-2017, 02:14 PM

Deldolfan,

Try here for the .pdf version.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xp3pxd...Manual.pdf.zip

Check the sticky links in the xtype forum at the top for the electronic version.

You can get the electrical diagrams here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?6aodm1scjciml#tmcx2bndu6b8t

Old 08-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

I just got this code 2 days ago out of the blue. No CEL, driving car, parked overnight, it was there on start up the next morning. Odd that! So I got the code read, did the least intrusive fix after researching = took the gas cap off, CAREFULLY removed the gasket, reversed it, tightened it back on, cleared code and lucked out. No more CEL.
In researching this extensively, not only the components you already mentioned can cause this fault, but also small leaks in the tubbing/hoses particularly (mentioned often) the ones (on my model = 2006) on the canister purge ones near the gas tank. And sometimes it was mentioned, contaminants get into the valve itself (n/a for you as you replaced it). Also rarely mentioned was the filler neck and/or the little flutter valve where you fill with fuel.

Last resort could be to get it smoke tested if you truly suspect a line or valve leak and not electrical.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Btw, the other code I had was P0456 (very small emission leak detected)
In contrast to PO442 (small emission leak detected) so it got bigger while sitting overnight? Lol

The filler neck mention was the spring-loaded trap door and the filler neck itself was loose or crack(ed) neck allowing fumes to escape to the atmosphere or cause a fuel leak.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

So having "old timer's desease", I once again misread the code, sorry. Here is the flow chart for P0447 (not P0442)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Vjqko50ZSQ1Z8A

Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Post by a mechanic on another site =

DAVID CRAIG, Auto Mechanic

P0447 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open Possible causes Faulty canister vent control valve Purge Control Valve harness is open or shorted Purge Control Valve electrical circuit poor connection Before replacing any parts, check for damage EVAP canister and for loose hoses from the vent control valve to the canister. An improper voltage signal is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM) through Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) canister vent control valve. Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0447 Description The Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) canister vent control valve is located on the EVAP canister and is used to seal the canister vent. This solenoid (the EVAP canister vent control valve) responds to signals from the Engine Control Module (ECM). When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger will then move to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal the vent is necessary for the on board diagnosis of other evaporative emission control system components.This solenoid valve is used only for diagnosis, and usually remains opened. When the vent is closed, under normal purge conditions, the evaporative emission control system is depressurized and allows EVAP Control System (Small Leak) diagnosis

Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Also the gas cap failure still applies to P0447 @ times

Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 PM

Deldolfan,

Also ,per the Drive cycle test information posted by Dell Gailey, be sure that you fuel tank level greater than 30% and less than 85%.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the guidance. My question is the P0447 code show open circuit fault. So one would think it was electrical related and not some leak somewhere. When I clear the code and recheck (without the engine even started) I see pending codes of P1000 and P0447. So that again suggests it is a circuit check hence open circuit. I'm starting be be concerned that it is the ECM. Since I have seen quite a few related issues on the forum about this and personal experience tracking down a code on an older ford cougar. Checked out some links and it looks like it's not an easy swap. One guy showed you had to replace the instrument cluster and key module as well. Anyone go through this process?

Old 08-12-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Not to difficult actually.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Here's if you are using doner car parts, still not a huge undertaking.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Please read this part again. Still suggests (imo) a smaller issue than the ECU, but.....I've been wrong more than once in my life. :-) :-) :-)

Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Default Update. P0447

I'm sure you all are just hanging by your computers to see this continuing saga 😁. Thanks so much for your guidance as well. Checked and had about 12v at the connector, pulled the emc connector off and while having one end of the meter on the unhooked connector at the valve, pinned out and found the orange wire. Diagram shows straight shot to ecm connecter with only JB1 in line. Have looked for JB1 location in the links and no clue. So now am going to make a direct connection from the valve to the ecm. We'll see how that goes! Keep you posted!

Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 PM

Alright the saga continues. You'll find me to be one determined cuss. Did locate JB1 and CA 5 and CA170. Took a continuity test between orange wire (that goes to the ECM at connector F5 at the solenoid) and CA5 (under a hige rubber grommet beneath the rear seat bottom and found really high resistance. Not sure why unless the wire is almost shot or corroded. It goes from the solenoid over a heat shield and into the cabin to CA5. Took continuity from CA5 to JB1 and was fine. Even tested JB1 to the ECM connector. Also Fine. What I am trying to figure out is why when I connected the orange wire at F5 to the ECM I still had the code. Maybe the bad wire is causing some error. I'll run a wire from F5 to CA5 directly since that needs to be fixed and then try again.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

A direct wire (and disconnect the suspect one) sounds a good plan.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Default P0447 code resolved!!!

I don't even want to think about what this would have cost at the Dealer! So, I ran a new wire from the FT5 connector on the solenoid to CA5 connector under the rear seat. I had traced and checked continuity from CA5 to the ECM and that was fine. The original wire showed a very high resistance so it was either almost shot or corroded on its way inside the car. Still was getting the error and pulling what's left of my hair out. Only two possibilities I thought. Bad new solenoid or ECM. Checked resistance on solenoid and was good. So resolved to look for an ECM. Just to make sure I checked the resistance at CA5 pins and WHAT??? No continuity! Pulled the FT5 connector off again and shorted out terminals to check continuity and had it. Opened up the connector and bent the metal connector terminals tighter and rechecked. Got continuity now. Erased the codes again and checked pending codes. What seemed to be eternity pending only showed P1000! Thanks for all your help and support to resolve this.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:25 PM

Oh and BTW also rehooked up original wires to the FT5 just to see if the bad connection was actually my problem all along. But thankfully caused a code again. So wire was bad too.