X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle and Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Axle and Bearing

I picked up my 04 not too long ago and I'm gradually working my way through the gripes. I generally do all my work myself, I am military and we are fortunate enough to have fully setup self-use auto hobby shops (all the way from engine rebuilding, welding, lifts, etc).

This weekend will be struts and the right front axle.

I always check with the dealer first so I have a baseline for comparison pricing.
Everytime I pull a halfshaft I always replace the inboard seal to the gearbox - this I already purchased from the dealer.

The other components;

Replacement Axles - There is the dealer at $700.00 and change per axle. I've checked online and with the local parts folks and they both have the options of new aftermarket (FEQ - I think it might be Chinese) and rebuilt, both around $100.00.
Have any of you folks tried these out and are they ok options or a complete waste?

Bearings - I find Timken (up to $200.00) and SKF (around $100.00) online for each. I would pick up the bearing locally at Kaman Bearing if I had a REAL part number (the online folks don't want us having the actual part numbers because we'd never order from them again). Does anyone happen to have the actual Timken front wheel bearing part number on hand?

BTW - this might be an extremely helpfull kind of information category for the Forum A LISTING OF INDIVIDUAL PARTS / APPLICABILITY / PART NUMBERS

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by f14tomcat; 10-21-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're looking for the front wheel bearings?

I have the genuine Jaguar ones in stock for $36.68

Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for the front wheel bearings?

I have the genuine Jaguar ones in stock for $36.68

The part number is C2S8276

Thanks
-David
www.jpamporschejaguarparts.com

Old 10-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I actually need a bearing. I bought one at NAPA but it is their brand. I am concerned that it is not a good unit. Also, I was told I have to replace thehub. Is that always the case?

Mine is a 2002 VD

Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front bearing are double row ball bearings, and need proper support to press them in, if not they can be damages and not last.
Make sure that they have the ABS pulse generating magnets on the inside dust shield.

I suggest that doing bearings at home it is more effecient to buy the knuckle, (verticle link in Jag speak)

Not sure what you are talking about by axle, do you mean the driveshaft to the front wheels? with the CV joints in them? why change them?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy,
I have the facilities for changing the bearings with no problem. Always hydraulically press out the old one (using correct diameter press tool). I always reassemble by heating the case/hub/whatever by torch (to expand it) and freeze the bearing (to shrink it) before dropping into place.

As far as terminology (raised by a mechanic in Canada) I've always referred to items as follows:
1. Shaft between a transmission and rearend as the driveshaft (not propellor shaft - those are part of a ship).
2. Shafts between transmission (gearbox in the UK) and the front wheels as the axles or halfshafts.
3. Shafts between rearend (pumpkin) and the rear wheels as rear axles.

The rubber boot is completely destroyed on the outer end of the right front axle and the grease is gone. Having purchased the car not long ago I really have no idea how long it has been in this condition. This is why I feel safest by removing and replacing the entire right front axle (not just replacement with a new rubber boot) before the cv joint fails.

Thanks!